Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

World Class facilities

Mark Attanasio:

"The facilities at Norwich City are world class."

Is this an accurate statement do we think or somewhat of an exaggeration?

I remember reading that Tim Krul said when he arrived the gym was essentially in a conservatory and other facilities were in a portacabin. 

Obviously a lot of development has gone into the training ground and academy. We have the soccerbot to boast. But World Class? Is this just hyperbole?

I would consider facilities such as Man City's complex to be 'World Class'. I think I read that Leicester have recently completed a £65m facility at their training ground. I dont see how we can be 'World class'. Do we just gloss over this?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Sad 1

There's always going to be a degree of hyperbole in those sorts of interviews.

It has been said though by quite a few signings that our quality of facilities is surprising, at least in comparison of past examples at Colney. And the party line when talking about the next phase (the hydrotherapy wing etc) reckons we will be in the top 10 in the country on completion- again, take with a pinch of salt for hyperbole.

If its the case that the only clubs with better facilities than us are Champions League elite-level teams, couldn't really ask for more at this stage.

I think it was interesting that he said that having the facilities meant they could focus more on performance on the pitch. It certainly made us a better prospect knowing millions wouldn't have to be spent renovating the training ground. 

Our facilities are better than probably 10-12 Premier League Clubs by all accounts, and thats according to TalkSport of all people, who were given a tour at the beginning of last season, I think it was?

• Like 2

Sounds like he’s already piquing the interest of other potential investors or buyers 🤔

• Like 1

Did he specify ‘world class’ in a good way!?

In all seriousness I imagine our facilities are very good, we’ve invested in them largely from scratch over the last handful of years, so they’ll definitely be up there with current needs. 

It's not necessarily about just bricks and mortar. The reaction of Nunez when he saw Colney, when his focus was on the quality of the grass, not the buildings!

Seriously though, Colney has plenty of potential, Attanasio mentioned there are currently 8 full sized pitches, but that there was room for more (and cynically surrounding Colney, there is room for a lot more as well with the land still being relatively cheap to buy). Perhaps the "World Class" bit, including Carrow Road, is the potential not the here and now, the fact they are all owned with room to develop further underlines all this.

You could imagine Attanasio looking out and smacking his lips on his recent visit. 🤑

Just now, Greavsy said:

Did he have a go on the SoccerBot?

No but he brought a towel and his Hawaiian shorts to go for a dip in the new Colney pool.....but was dismayed when being informed that the pool's not there yet.....So he had to go to the UEA pool instead for a plunge.....

I think this was a subtle nod to Webber and the club as to what has been achieved so far.

It will be interesting to hear what the next priorities are whether stadium expansion or the playing squad (I've not had time to watch the interview yet).

I've no idea what kind of facilities the average baseball team has. If they don't bother much with training facilities hat may have been his more his frame of reference?