Sign in to follow this  
king canary

If we win tomorrow...

...we'll be 5 points clear of Burnley and 6 of Watford. Not sure many expected us to be the best adjusted to the Championship out of the three relegated sides.

• Like 3

Well we should have been given we were the only one to go into the season with the same manager and relatively less squad upheavel

I'd say Watford will shortly be on manager no.2 for the season

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Bristol are in good form, so it may not be as straightforward as we would like.

They're a bit like us in the fact they've mostly been beating the teams in the bottom half. Will be a good test to see where we are.

23 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I'll admit I didn't expect that after the first few games. But happy to eat my words and hope I continue to do so!

Pretty much sums up me too. Still don't feel in love with Smith yet but the results speak for themselves 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

...we'll be 5 points clear of Burnley and 6 of Watford. Not sure many expected us to be the best adjusted to the Championship out of the three relegated sides.

It looks good, but having not paid much attention I suspect both teams have had tougher starts to the season in terms of opponents. 3 of the 5 teams we have beat are 22nd, 23rd and 24th in a league of 24 teams. Millwall are 17th. The highest placed team we've got 3 points off is 10th and if we're honest, we were lucky to win that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It looks good, but having not paid much attention I suspect both teams have had tougher starts to the season in terms of opponents. 3 of the 5 teams we have beat are 22nd, 23rd and 24th in a league of 24 teams. Millwall are 17th. The highest placed team we've got 3 points off is 10th and if we're honest, we were lucky to win that.

But if we'd lost the matches against Birmingham, Millwall and Sunderland they would be 12th, 7th and 6th respectively... Coventry and hudders would still be 23rd & 24th though....

Let's be honest, we haven't played well and we've had injuries again but somehow we'll be 4 points clear of 3rd if we beat Bristol.  We'll find out more tonight but it's already starting to feel that this division isn't as good as last time we visited. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite - particularly with our coaching team that’s apparently not up to it.

Again one month doesn’t make a season, most of us were critical of Smith’s record and attitude since December and rightly so, we broke a number of poor records in the premiership last season!

As I’ve said from day one, Smith is a likeable, nice guy, he wasn’t my choice and still isn’t, for the premiership season looked lost and devoid of ideas, so much so he spent most of his time on the sideline with his hands in his pockets! I’ve also said it’s win win, if he gets results we go up, who can complain about that, but we don’t all have to agree and this gloating has limitations as he clearly wasn’t up to improving the results and keeping us up in the premiership, his primary target on his appointment!

Is the championship really that poor,? is the squad really too good for the championship, yet utterly useless i the premiership? If we go up, will we get a motivated, active Smith or one who can’t get this squad stepping up?

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

As I’ve said from day one, Smith is a likeable, nice guy, he wasn’t my choice and still isn’t, for the premiership season looked lost and devoid of ideas, so much so he spent most of his time on the sideline with his hands in his pockets! I’ve also said it’s win win, if he gets results we go up, who can complain about that, but we don’t all have to agree and this gloating has limitations as he clearly wasn’t up to improving the results and keeping us up in the premiership, his primary target on his appointment!

I’m not quite sure what you’re expecting Indy. A mazy run down the wing followed by a pinpoint pass to Teemu?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cornish sam said:

But if we'd lost the matches against Birmingham, Millwall and Sunderland they would be 12th, 7th and 6th respectively... Coventry and hudders would still be 23rd & 24th though....

So? If we'd have lost those matches we wouldn't be 5 and 6 points of Burnley and Watford, would we? And that's why this thread exists.

23 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So? If we'd have lost those matches we wouldn't be 5 and 6 points of Burnley and Watford, would we? And that's why this thread exists.

But the point you were making is that we've only beaten teams towards the bottom, my counter argument is that the only reason they're not teams contending for playoffs is that we beat them... Essentially it's too early in the season to say "oh, but we've only played teams in such and such position" as it's all too close at the moment...apart from hudders and cov, who are just cack

I haven't been following Watford as closely but given the change at Burnley I would have expected us to have had more points at this stage. Burnley have also played Watford and WBA.

These next 2 home games will show where we are at.

Brizzle City will be quite a tuff test and I for one am looking forward to it....A midweek game under them exceptionally bright floodlights that may cauterize one's retinas....What's not to like?....

Welding mask at the ready.....

52 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not quite sure what you’re expecting Indy. A mazy run down the wing followed by a pinpoint pass to Teemu?

Thing is people do rather forget Farke was Sat placidly watching an iPad or similar 99% of the time.  Different coaches/managers have different styles, none is right or wrong. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Like I said NS, I was at the Coventry game and he was a different manager to the Newcastle game. He was more animated and active all game! Watching his body language on the highlights and live games I saw last year is like chalk & cheese. Even the regulars we still friends with agree there’s a marked difference to Smith’s sideline approach. It’s good to see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

If you look back at past seasons, our results v 22,23,24th are not great. So I will take what we have so far and listen in tonight. 

Watching posters fall over their own words in a desperate double-down on not liking Smith is never going to get old for me this season. 😅

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Watching posters fall over their own words in a desperate double-down on not liking Smith is never going to get old for me this season. 😅

Quite, Brizzle city are currently one of the in form teams, but should we win tonight, it'll be "well they won't be up there at the end of the season, wait until we play a Sheff united to see where we're at" 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Watching some posters get riled because some posters don’t like their poster boy is equally hilarious I can assure you 👍

Funny, those gloating about five wins are as bad as those gloating after ****e six months! How about just having an opinion and enjoying success on the pitch…..I never took to Alex Neal, didn’t think he was a very good manager but he’s doing really well now! So he’s decent enough! I took to Farke, from the start you could see the same system used to great effect at Liverpool under Farke, it took time to get going. For six months none of us could see where and what Smith wanted, now there’s certainly more coherent performances but let’s not go over the top, five wins is brilliant and deserves credit but in large parts in most games we do go quiet and the performances do have wobbles! But Smith now comes to the pitch side and gets at his players.

Like I said win win, I don’t have to like Smith as our manager and if he’s successful he’ll get my positive comments on here, as I have. You can support a team and accept that not everything on and off pitch is to each individual liking and still enjoy winning! So credit to the changes I’ve seen and as said well done for five wins, that deserves credit and comment at any level.

There might be others more negative than me on Smith and that’s their prerogative.

• Like 2

Results generally were good for us last night, apart from the last minute Shef utd winner. Not much point worrying about other teams results at this stage of the season I suppose but the blades do look a threat.

43 minutes ago, astro said:

Watching some posters get riled because some posters don’t like their poster boy is equally hilarious I can assure you 👍

Who see's Smith as a poster boy? Who's said he's a top class, excellent manager? Who's done anything other than say "give him some time"?

Would look awfully bad if you'd just made something up to try and deflect...

These first few weeks I have been watching out for Burnley and Watford's results and every time we get an advantage over them, from each set of fixtures, whether it be better goal difference or more points, then I am a happy bunny, because they are the first teams to, naturally, look out for. Keep inching away from them

I have felt that, if we finish above those two, then we are in with a real chance.

Not withstanding a 'Huddersfield/Luton' type team (making the playoffs when not fancied) then, that will leave very few teams to seriously look out for (immediately comes to mind are Sheff Utd and West Brom, but there will be others of course. 

38 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Results generally were good for us last night, apart from the last minute Shef utd winner. Not much point worrying about other teams results at this stage of the season I suppose but the blades do look a threat.

Swansea actually surprised me against the Blades. Much more on the front foot and got the ball forward more quickly than we have seen before (perhaps Martin really does have a chance at getting the Brighton job!). As a result the Blades looked far from being unbeatable. It was only a massive mistake from Naughton (strangely ex-player of both us and the Blades) that allowed the Blades to win at the very end. "You make your own luck" and "luck balances out in the long run" are often quoted on here, I'd suggest on this basis it is between Norwich and the Blades for the title at the moment and after last night I'm swinging more toward us.

Now watch us get tonked tonight! 🙂 

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

This is true but in the last few weeks we've seen Watford drop points to Birmingham, QPR, Preston and Rotherham, none of them exactly powerhouses. Burnley similarly have been dropping points to teams like Blackpool, Luton and Hull. So while we may be dispatching the divisions chaff, that isn't a given as those teams have found so far.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Funny, those gloating about five wins are as bad as those gloating after ****e six months! How about just having an opinion and enjoying success on the pitch…..I never took to Alex Neal, didn’t think he was a very good manager but he’s doing really well now! So he’s decent enough! I took to Farke, from the start you could see the same system used to great effect at Liverpool under Farke, it took time to get going. For six months none of us could see where and what Smith wanted, now there’s certainly more coherent performances but let’s not go over the top, five wins is brilliant and deserves credit but in large parts in most games we do go quiet and the performances do have wobbles! But Smith now comes to the pitch side and gets at his players.

Like I said win win, I don’t have to like Smith as our manager and if he’s successful he’ll get my positive comments on here, as I have. You can support a team and accept that not everything on and off pitch is to each individual liking and still enjoy winning! So credit to the changes I’ve seen and as said well done for five wins, that deserves credit and comment at any level.

There might be others more negative than me on Smith and that’s their prerogative.

I don't really let Smith affect my views on the five wins. I just enjoy them. I don't dwell on last season either. It's gone. I am enjoying the games and love how often I'm getting to Carrow Road.

My thoughts on Smith are the same as last season. He's yet to do anything memorable. But he's maybe just that sort. If we're winning who cares...

It is strange how five wins is just ignored on here. This thread stands out among dozens about anything but those wins. Can't help but think if we don't win for five this message board will get it's football team back...

🙃😂

• Like 1