Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Interesting Josh Martin interview

I know a few were upset when we opted to move him on but from this interview it suggests even he admits his attitude wasn't right.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fcs-josh-martin-on-his-road-to-redemption-after-a-tough-time-at-norwich-city-3839236

Key quote about his attitude after he dropped out of our first team picture...

"If I could go back to that situation now, knowing what I know, things would have been different for me and I would not have acted a certain way.

"I'd have got my head down and worked as hard as I could. I think it is very important for a lot of players, when they go through that, to keep mentally strong and keep working and believe in their own ability."

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

I know a few were upset when we opted to move him on but from this interview it suggests even he admits his attitude wasn't right.

I think he implies more that he lost confidence when he found himself out of the mactch day squads, and that in hindsight rather than let his head drop and feel dejected at rejection he'd have had seen it as a challenge / motivation to push on and prove the manager wrong, rather than an attitude problem per say?

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think he implies more that he lost confidence when he found himself out of the mactch day squads, and that in hindsight rather than let his head drop and feel dejected at rejection he'd have had seen it as a challenge / motivation to push on and prove the manager wrong, rather than an attitude problem per say?

I read it more as he did what many young people do when they make their first break through, they think that's job done, they've made it and so don't keep trying as hard as they did to get there. The fact he recognises that it is the start of the journey, not the end means that it probably isn't an attitude problem as such just more a naivety that he has (hopefully) moved beyond.

Edited by cornish sam

Anyone get David Bentley vibes with Josh Martin?  I don't know if it's the Arsenal connection, or something in how he looks/grooms himself - but has always reminded me of Bentley. 

Do wonder if he's the type to fall out of love with the game, too.

33 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Anyone get David Bentley vibes with Josh Martin?  I don't know if it's the Arsenal connection, or something in how he looks/grooms himself - but has always reminded me of Bentley. 

Do wonder if he's the type to fall out of love with the game, too.

I think David Bentley waited until he was a made man financially before deciding he had fallen out of love with the game, Josh Martin is highly unlikely to achieve a similar status.

Or in other words, I noticed that David Bentley decided to collect his huge Spurs pay cheque for 2 years after the point at which he has said he wasn't enjoying football!

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No, it sounds similar to his problem at Arsenal which was deemed an attitude one. Maybe something Farke was able to temporarily improve.

34 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I really liked the kid I thought he had a lot to offer

its a shame! Attitude is a hard one to fix

Well done, a non paranoid post, and FWIW I agree, thought he has something. 

Try taking your last sentence on board, there's a good chap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

No, it sounds similar to his problem at Arsenal which was deemed an attitude one. Maybe something Farke was able to temporarily improve.

Bit of cockiness perhaps. But that was Jamie Cureton's problem when he was younger, and look at the career he went on to have.

We seem to be able to churn out decent young wide players as well so that has to be a factor. The Murphy's, Cantwell, then all sorts of almost rans like Loza. Not a position we have problem bringing through it seems. Now got Rowe and Springett with potential.

I do wish we could start producing some stellar centre midfielders though, if Ipswich go up we might not find it as easy to just pinch theirs. 

13 hours ago, king canary said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fcs-josh-martin-on-his-road-to-redemption-after-a-tough-time-at-norwich-city-3839236

Key quote about his attitude after he dropped out of our first team picture...

"If I could go back to that situation now, knowing what I know, things would have been different for me and I would not have acted a certain way.

"I'd have got my head down and worked as hard as I could. I think it is very important for a lot of players, when they go through that, to keep mentally strong and keep working and believe in their own ability."

It's a case of naivety of youth and thinking you have made it because you have made the first team and take your foot off the pedal. Those with the very best attitudes - like that of Aarons - keep on working at their utmost, those that don't have a dip in form. It's quite understandable and it's how you react to it is what matters. Cantwell is a prime case - got ahead of himself and then struggled to keep his feet on the ground. Josh Martin made a good impact to start with, but within a very few games just disappeared during a match, barely getting a kick of the ball - that showed he had lost something.  Talent will out - as long as the attitude is right and the work ethic is there and both he and Cantwell should fulfill their promise if they have their heads straight.

I admire the fact he realises he has made a big mistake and is not afraid to admit it. Hope he has a good career. Is he out of contract next summer of is there an option?

28 minutes ago, LaUnionCanary said:

I admire the fact he realises he has made a big mistake and is not afraid to admit it. Hope he has a good career. Is he out of contract next summer of is there an option?

Yep, out of contact next summer, no option.

It’s hard to tell from article if he is talking about his MK Dons spell where he basically played no football for 6 months or the time when he had a decent run in own first team where he looked more than decent but seemed to tail off a bit.

Anyway he is someone who should have a pretty decent career away from Norwich and with a bit of luck and application so good luck to him I say.

For all the Beckham's of this world,there are a thousand Martin's. Prove's how tough the world of pro football is. A major problem,as we all know,is the financial rewards these young players get so early in their career. You go from £5000 to £12000 a week,all be it in our eyes a massive amount,they're thinking "wow, I've made it,job done",not realising the next big star is coming up behind them,working harder,training harder,improving quicker. Before they know it,out on loan,dropping down leagues,being left behind. Agents have a lot to answer for as well. Bloodsuckers!!

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Agents have a lot to answer for as well. Bloodsuckers!!

Absolutely agree with this!