CANARYKING

Queen’s funeral

51 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I think you maybe exaggerating the influence the 'wokey cokeys' (a section of the media) have. Yes, we have seen them trying to ban, silence and block differing views, but to little effect. Their paranoia is very reminiscent of 1950s USA. Anything that spoke against their rigid views was referred to as 'unAmerican activity'. Never defined, it was a catch-all phrase for those who saw reds under the bed and other stuff that was supposed to stalk the land. I read a tweet some while back where they listed the things the Mail/Express had claimed were woke. The NHS, Cof E, BBC, state schools, SNP, Royal Navy, Plaid Cymru and much else, even Prince Charles. However, as with the USA, theirs is just a mournful cry against a changing world. More power to the dissenters, is my thought.

This definition of "woke" looks pretty spot on to me.

Definition of woke.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Well, I doubt if most of us will ever see anything like that again.

Hugely impressive.

Presumably we will get a coronation next year?

That should in theory out do this for pageantry considering the level of preparation and the more celebratory nature. 

Agree though today was impressive.

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

This definition of "woke" looks pretty spot on to me.

Definition of woke.jpg

From Oxbridge Languages. The typical wokerati denigration to those who disagree with their views. I hope Oxford and Cambridge universities issue warnings to their students that they might be asked to debate views they don’t agree with.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Superb job done by the bearer party. Certainly my pick of the day.

Yes. I believe they are the same ones that have been involved all the way through.

A quite extraordinary day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes. I believe they are the same ones that have been involved all the way through.

A story to tell their grandchildren in years to come. An extraordinary day indeed. 

I confess the lone piper brought a tear to my eye.

Edited by ricardo

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They are indeed, were in Iraq on the day she passed, picked and returned especially for the role. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A story to tell their grandchildren in years to come. An extraordinary day indeed. 

The solitary Piper certainly put a bit o' grit in my eye.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Likewise 👍

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

From Oxbridge Languages. The typical wokerati denigration to those who disagree with their views. I hope Oxford and Cambridge universities issue warnings to their students that they might be asked to debate views they don’t agree with.

Depends how well-informed those criticising the "woke" stance are.

In my time serving my Queen and Country, when on parades I always enjoyed marching along to the sound of pipes and drums.....Just something about the swirl, the tempo, the passion and energy - and we all used to march with a bit of extra swagger.....

Today was a funeral fit for a Queen....and what a wonderful Queen she was.....Well done to all involved you did our Country so proud whilst the World looked on....

• Like 10

I flitted in and out of it and it seemed to have been done very well. What astonished me was the number of people who think it is acceptable to film a hearse on their phone. Is it just me? It made me feel very uncomfortable 

45 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That should in theory out do this for pageantry considering the level of preparation and the more celebratory nature.

I fear it will take much longer now. As a king can only move on square at a time. Unlike a queen.

55 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Agree though today was impressive.

Another Bank Holiday 👍

Found it a very cold funeral myself both at Westminster and moreso at Windsor , a more intimate setting. Yes lots of tributes to her service as Queen but no personal eulogies to her as a person, mother, grandmother etc. Thought a life of 96 years would have warranted that.

I'm sure there was more to her than being Queen

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Those steps up to the Chapel in Windsor were certainly tricky!

Indeed. I had a flashback to to the 1980's when at Ayatollah Komeini's funeral in Iran they tipped the old boy out of the coffin.

Thankfully we show a bit more decorum here in the West.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

So while the funeral of King Rama IX was quite the spectacle, it did not include any normal citizens in its execution. There were no doctors or nurses invited to parade, no emergency services or front line workers involved, no honouring of national heroes.

I wasn’t aware normal citizens were invited to the ceremony? Not trying to score points but I thought everyone in the abbey was the so-called “great and good”. 

Speaking of which, if you’d told me a couple of years ago that the proportion of BAME people at the Queen’s funeral would have been increased by the Tory cabinet, I would have laughed long and loud. Have the wokerati been at work? 😉

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Some believe that a similar effect will result in the UK now that the last queen has gone. Some of the anti-monarchist sentiment expressed on this forum has suggested as much. Charles 111 seems to appreciate the need to steer a careful course .... and has even suggested trimming the whole 'operation.' Perhaps it is about time for a good proportion of the 'pyramid of the chinless' to be removed from the payroll.

I obviously missed Charles the third to Charles the one hundred and ten. 😉😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

I wasn’t aware normal citizens were invited to the ceremony? Not trying to score points but I thought everyone in the abbey was the so-called “great and good”. 

Speaking of which, if you’d told me a couple of years ago that the proportion of BAME people at the Queen’s funeral would have been increased by the Tory cabinet, I would have laughed long and loud. Have the wokerati been at work? 😉

You thought wrong then, I've just seen an interview on Look East with an ordinary person who was among 200 "ordinary" people invited to the ceremony.

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I obviously missed Charles the third to Charles the one hundred and ten. 😉😂

Careful 

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You thought wrong then, I've just seen an interview on Look East with an ordinary person who was among 200 "ordinary" people invited to the ceremony.

Thank you for clarifying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Superb job done by the bearer party. Certainly my pick of the day.

A wonderful , fitting day exactly what many wanted. The bearer party were extraordinary. Plenty for those with an agenda to get their teeth into , but in truth there always is.

If you don’t want to watch it , don’t watch it . Sometimes life can be more simple than you think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

A wonderful , fitting day exactly what many wanted. The bearer party were extraordinary. Plenty for those with an agenda to get their teeth into , but in truth there always is.

If you don’t want to watch it , don’t watch it . Sometimes life can be more simple than you think. 

Fortunately we live in a Liberal Democracy where the secret police won't come round if you choose to log on to Youtube instead.

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

87% of the country are white.

But of the other 13%, a lot of them follow religions which if followed strictly forbid entering a church.

Many of the UK's muslims for example (about 4% of the population) would consider entering any church to be makruh, strictly forbidden. Many of the more conservative and orthodox Jews would consider it forbidden to enter a church too.

Yes, I know there were some Saudi's at the funeral, but the point remains valid.

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Exactly my stance. As it happened I'm busy with a project anyway so didn't have time, but I was never going to watch it anyway.