CANARYKING

Queen’s funeral

1 hour ago, wr4sb said:

Nah, it's there to turn them into obedient robots where you get detention for having the wrong stationary... 

Course they are 🙄

31 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Anyone else think all the shoutng, cheering and hollering for a hearse is a bit odd..? 

Nearly but not quite as odd as you.

What I think is odd is coming on a football message board and boring the pants off people about how much people hate the Royal family . So what . 
I came on here having watched most of the funeral to see what the news of Omo’s injury . 

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We should all remember throughout today ,that neither the queen or the rest of the royal family would p!ss on any of us if we were on fire

...thanks for the day off though

Whilst your remark is offensive to many, being offensive is not an illegal act and as such I would defend your right to utter it. Freedom of speech is something that has to be protected especially against the wokerati.

• Like 1

Wokerati?!😂

Anyway, hats off to whoever organised this whole funeral and weeks events. Only one fainting guard away from being flawless.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Wokerati?!

The sinister overlords who control the Army of Snowflakes and the Woke Brigade. 🤣

Fortunately I'm in Portugal at the moment...are they still hauling the box around the country? 

Apples

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

What I think is odd is coming on a football message board and boring the pants off people about how much people hate the Royal family . So what . 
I came on here having watched most of the funeral to see what the news of Omo’s injury . 

Quite. I was wondering what the non football forum was for. Surely this thread should be moved there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Quite. I was wondering what the non football forum was for. Surely this thread should be moved there.

Now Pete Raven has gone, chaos on this board… pure chaos.. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

How do you know that for sure?

I was in Thailand when the last king died. The whole pro-longed ceremonial event was something else. The King's funeral procession along the Chao Praya river was, in particular, eerily magnificent.

Can't we just settle for having the best football league in the world, the best health service in the world, the best television service in the world, the best fish and chips in the world and all the many other things we are constantly being told we are best at?

As for ceremonies like today? We compete with the best, but let's not get carried away.

Hi BroadstairsR/ Like you, I was in Thailand for the funeral of King Rama IX, and like you say it was an amazing spectacle, with laser light shows, music, colourful costumes and regalia. Yet to my mind it reminded me more of a Hollywood spectacular than paying homage to a departed Monarch. My unease was increased by the thought of how many millions had been spent on the pageant that perhaps could have been better spent on the many poor and impoverished in Thailand. And while our ceremony in London didn't come cheap either, it is a whole lot less if considered as a proportion of the nation's GDP.

The people of Thailand revered their King Rama IX and the outpouring of genuine grief was about consistent with what we see with our own Queen, but it has to be remembered that any criticism of the Thai Monarchy would fall foul of the lese majeste laws and the kind of remarks made on this thread would see the entire population of Pinkun posters banged up in jail for 10-15 years in Thailand. And yes, astonishingly, criticism of a foreign monarchy is also against Thai lese majeste laws, so in theory even Brits criticising the British Royal family is a crime in Thailand, though of course they have yet to bring a case.

So while the funeral of King Rama IX was quite the spectacle, it did not include any normal citizens in its execution. There were no doctors or nurses invited to parade, no emergency services or front line workers involved, no honouring of national heroes. Everything in that funeral was directed to demonstrate the power and authority of the Monarch over everyone else. Todays, funeral in London was, I felt, more about honouring seventy years of duty, quite different to the display of power of the Thai monarchy. As a result I would consider the pomp and pageantry of the Queen's funeral outstrips the 'all fur coat' quality of Rama IX's funeral as it was directed towards the Queen's sense of duty and service to her people rather than the Thai King's display of power and subjugation over his people.

13 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Hi BroadstairsR/ Like you, I was in Thailand for the funeral of King Rama IX, and like you say it was an amazing spectacle, with laser light shows, music, colourful costumes and regalia. Yet to my mind it reminded me more of a Hollywood spectacular than paying homage to a departed Monarch. My unease was increased by the thought of how many millions had been spent on the pageant that perhaps could have been better spent on the many poor and impoverished in Thailand. And while our ceremony in London didn't come cheap either, it is a whole lot less if considered as a proportion of the nation's GDP.

The people of Thailand revered their King Rama IX and the outpouring of genuine grief was about consistent with what we see with our own Queen, but it has to be remembered that any criticism of the Thai Monarchy would fall foul of the lese majeste laws and the kind of remarks made on this thread would see the entire population of Pinkun posters banged up in jail for 10-15 years in Thailand. And yes, astonishingly, criticism of a foreign monarchy is also against Thai lese majeste laws, so in theory even Brits criticising the British Royal family is a crime in Thailand, though of course they have yet to bring a case.

So while the funeral of King Rama IX was quite the spectacle, it did not include any normal citizens in its execution. There were no doctors or nurses invited to parade, no emergency services or front line workers involved, no honouring of national heroes. Everything in that funeral was directed to demonstrate the power and authority of the Monarch over everyone else. Todays, funeral in London was, I felt, more about honouring seventy years of duty, quite different to the display of power of the Thai monarchy. As a result I would consider the pomp and pageantry of the Queen's funeral outstrips the 'all fur coat' quality of Rama IX's funeral as it was directed towards the Queen's sense of duty and service to her people rather than the Thai King's display of power and subjugation over his people.

Careful.  

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

All very, very true, but not really related to the original point made.

Interestingly, the succession of the new king there (not a particularly popular man) has led to some erosion of the esteem of the monarchy in the country, especially among the younger generations. The lese majeste laws are now neither as strictly followed nor enforced as they traditionally have been. Social media is harder to monitor, for example.  

Some believe that a similar effect will result in the UK now that the last queen has gone. Some of the anti-monarchist sentiment expressed on this forum has suggested as much. Charles 111 seems to appreciate the need to steer a careful course .... and has even suggested trimming the whole 'operation.' Perhaps it is about time for a good proportion of the 'pyramid of the chinless' to be removed from the payroll.

Watch this space.

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

All very, very true, but not really related to the original point made.

After your earlier posts in this thread, are you for real.

The absolute irony. 

To repeat you, Dur!

8 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

After your earlier posts in this thread, are you for real.

The absolute irony. 

To repeat you, Dur!

The original point was about the quality of ceremony, nothing more, nothing less.

You don't seem to have grasped this and are now out of your depth with matters you clearly know nothing about.

Having carefully explained that fact to you, I won't bother with anything else in return, as nothing you actually post is worthy of a reply.

'Dur' is the only appropriate response.

Edited by BroadstairsR

46 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

This paragraph says it all. Only this country could put on something like this in the way it has, with recognition of people at it's heart - the monarchy there to serve the people.

Taking it back to football - and Farke, actually - the focus of his tenure was always that the fans were what mattered most and that the players were there to serve the club, not the other way round. Our monarchy - under the Queen's leadership - have been very clear that they are there to serve the people, not the other way round as in places like Thailand. 

That is why so many people are so moved today - the recognition of what the Queesn stood for in terms of working for the country and it's people for her whole life.  Some people only see rich and privileged no gooders in the Royals and loads of money spent on them and ignore the good that many of them do. Yes, there are problems as in all families, but the good that many of them do is under-rated.  King Charles will undoubtedly work to lessen the amount of money spent on the Royal Family and keep it on the right track.

Edited by lake district canary

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The original point was about the quality of ceremony, nothing more, nothing less.

You don't seem to have grasped this and are now out of your depth with matters you clearly know nothing about.

Having carefully explained that fact to you, I won't bother with anything else in return, as nothing you actually post is worthy of a reply.

'Dur' is the only appropriate response.

Every reply was Dur! You absolute imbecile.  

Made yourself look a bit silly there, again. 

So I agreed dur does seem appropriate.  🔔 end

Some impressive scenes and a full on day just watching it at home. Would be knackered if actually involved.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

All you seem to have is childish insults,

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Child's mind in an adult body.

Get a grip.

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Freedom of speech is something that has to be protected especially against the wokerati.

I think you maybe exaggerating the influence the 'wokey cokeys' (a section of the media) have. Yes, we have seen them trying to ban, silence and block differing views, but to little effect. Their paranoia is very reminiscent of 1950s USA. Anything that spoke against their rigid views was referred to as 'unAmerican activity'. Never defined, it was a catch-all phrase for those who saw reds under the bed and other stuff that was supposed to stalk the land. I read a tweet some while back where they listed the things the Mail/Express had claimed were woke. The NHS, Cof E, BBC, state schools, SNP, Royal Navy, Plaid Cymru and much else, even Prince Charles. However, as with the USA, theirs is just a mournful cry against a changing world. More power to the dissenters, is my thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

All you seem to have is childish insults,

So replying "Dur!"repeatedly when asked a simple question is you being adult is it? Gotcha!

You still look very silly, at least twice you've said you won't reply to me, but you still do.

Rent free in your head.......

Simples 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Haven’t seen any nibbles yet everyone must be starving 

Not even a cuppa Buh? 

I’m biased of course but there’s an unique warmth to British pomp and ceremony with an almost unfailing touch of quirkiness built in.

I dare say Thailand’s King enjoyed a more ‘ spectacular ‘ affair and things might be done with faultless choreography in places like North Korea, China and Russia but I suspect an unfortunate person who dropped that piece of white paper ( twice ) during a ceremony in any of those places would likely as not never be seen again.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I’m biased of course but there’s an unique warmth to British pomp and ceremony with an almost unfailing touch of quirkiness built in.

I dare say Thailand’s King enjoyed a more ‘ spectacular ‘ affair and things might be done with faultless choreography in places like North Korea, China and Russia but I suspect an unfortunate person who dropped that piece of white paper ( twice ) during a ceremony in any of those places would likely as not never be seen again.

Careful. 

17 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Haven’t seen any nibbles yet everyone must be starving 

You must have missed Broadstairs and Greasveys exchanges 🎣

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It's such a testament to Her Majesty that so many Heads of State have attended, but also been so gracious as to share buses to get to the proceedings. I'm amazed there wasn't more resistance to that than there was; kudos to the Foreign Office for handling that without too much upset.