Rhino1

Myopic, egotistical and lacking perspective

5 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

One thing i think we can all agree on..

Queen Delia (the first) would be a better monarch than King Charles III

You are facking joking I hope.

The (sir) David Attenborough thing is a good point to raise. I think if you look at their years of service (comparable) and their adoration (arguably comparable) but factor that Attenborough has done more for the benefit of the world as a whole and engaged without having to try the billions of youth in the world to be better citizens for the benefit of everyone, SHOULD we as a minimum match the level of mourning period for him? I think there’d be no issue playing matches on the horrific day that he passes because I cannot think of a less divisive high profile figure anywhere in the world. Surely that’s quite telling. Not sure what it tells 😂 but it does raise the question about what priorities we have regarding who we determine to honour more

• Thanks 1

On 10/09/2022 at 10:41, Ken Hairy said:

Slight change of direction here, but why does Liz Truss walk like she's soiled herself? 

You need to ask?

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

So how many are going to complain about a bank holiday?

Ironically my job doesn't scale with less working days (we would have the same 5-day workload regardless of a bank holiday) so as it happens I actually would rather not have one.

Neither here or there really but I felt I should mention.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 08:43, Virtual reality said:

I might watch the Rugby today…

What people might be forgetting is that the President of the FA is Prince William, the Queens grandson.

Whilst the Royal Rugby Patron was once Prince Harry before he went to fill his boots with dollars, and is now Kate Middleton, who whilst I'm sure is greatly saddened by the Queens death, isn't going to feel the same grief as her husband.

That may have played a part in the decision of the FA to cancel the footy for a weekend.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What people might be forgetting is that the President of the FA is Prince William, the Queens grandson.

Whilst the Royal Rugby Patron was once Prince Harry before he went to fill his boots with dollars, and is now Kate Middleton, who whilst I'm sure is greatly saddened by the Queens death, isn't going to feel the same grief as her husband.

That may have played a part in the decision of the FA to cancel the footy for a weekend.

True, but the possibility of Fans not respecting the National Anthem or minutes silence is a much juicier story ... whether it was likely or not.

TBF to all I think they didn't think this through at all. They decided in haste and can now regret at their leisure.

Monumental balls up if you ask me, but of course , no one did. 

The thing that Pi55ed me off the most is that I had a really pleasant Friday evening planned, finish work walk dog ,  collect my fish n chips , sit down ,watch us play a decent footballing side for a change and sink a couple of Staros while I did so. The walk, the beer, and the fish n chips happened, unfortunately the sauce that should have brought all this together.... The footy  , didn't. 

Booooo !!!

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

True, but the possibility of Fans not respecting the National Anthem or minutes silence is a much juicier story ... whether it was likely or not.

TBF to all I think they didn't think this through at all. They decided in haste and can now regret at their leisure.

The thing that Pi55ed me off the most is that I had a really pleasant Friday evening planned, finish work walk dog ,  collect my fish n chips , sit down ,watch us play a decent footballing side for a change and sink a couple of Staros while I did so. The walk, the beer, and the fish n chips happened, unfortunately the sauce that should have brought all this together.... The footy  , didn't. 

Booooo !!!

It was a daft reason too, the first big game back after the pause, Liverpool at home in the Champions League, I presume the authorities think the Scousers who might have booed will have forgotten she died by Tuesday 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It was a daft reason too, the first big game back after the pause, Liverpool at home in the Champions League, I presume the authorities think the Scousers who might have booed will have forgotten she died by Tuesday 

Will UEFA permit the National Anthem? I'm not sure but I would expect a minutes silence. 

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Will UEFA permit the National Anthem? I'm not sure but I would expect a minutes silence. 

Ah you could be right there. 

I actually think the Scousers will behave themselves. It's one thing booing the anthem under normal circumstances but I'm not sure even they're that crass when it's because someone died. 

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Booooo !!!

You expect too much, dog walk and a couple of Stars would do me 👍

19 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

You are facking joking I hope.

Is there a comparison with Queen Delia where just handing the throne over to Tom would be viewed as Nepotism?

Edited by nutty nigel

On 11/09/2022 at 19:42, SwearyCanary said:

The (sir) David Attenborough thing is a good point to raise. I think if you look at their years of service (comparable) and their adoration (arguably comparable) but factor that Attenborough has done more for the benefit of the world as a whole and engaged without having to try the billions of youth in the world to be better citizens for the benefit of everyone, SHOULD we as a minimum match the level of mourning period for him? I think there’d be no issue playing matches on the horrific day that he passes because I cannot think of a less divisive high profile figure anywhere in the world. Surely that’s quite telling. Not sure what it tells 😂 but it does raise the question about what priorities we have regarding who we determine to honour more

Yeah, but I didn't vote for him; the BBC chose to put him on the TV, which is an evil oppressive organisation that forces us to pay money for a service whether we like it or not. Being a privileged white male gave him a massive advantage in getting the job in the first place; that makes him a symbol of everything that's wrong with the country and it's probably insulting to slaves hundreds of years ago as well. 

As with the Queen, his popularity comes from what he has done and how he has done it.

He does much the same as the Queen did; point at things that are already there, say how amazing they are, and make thoughtful, uplifting speeches on important topics. 

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yeah, but I didn't vote for him; the BBC chose to put him on the TV, which is an evil oppressive organisation that forces us to pay money for a service whether we like it or not. Being a privileged white male gave him a massive advantage in getting the job in the first place; that makes him a symbol of everything that's wrong with the country and it's probably insulting to slaves hundreds of years ago as well. 

As with the Queen, his popularity comes from what he has done and how he has done it.

He does much the same as the Queen did; point at things that are already there, say how amazing they are, and make thoughtful, uplifting speeches on important topics. 

Personally, I sometimes wonder how much damage Attenborough has done not good. To see him and camera crews disturbing Gorillas in their habitat pishes me off actually. I know they live there and want to be left alone so why do I need a production company to spoil their life.