Rhino1

Myopic, egotistical and lacking perspective

I went to the Oval yesterday, and I never felt that my attendance was disrespectful. The opposite, in fact, the whole day was dignified and very in accord with the due respect needed. It was a very good day, actually, and enjoyed by all present and conducted with appropriate deference.

This included the promotion of many, it seemed, civilised discussions venerating the late Queen's worth to the full whilst questioning the necessary regarding the role of monarchy in this day and age. In all quarters there seemed worthwhile discussion, with not a single word to be heard against the late monarch. It was different, but healthy.

Certainly a far more respectful day than that spent by the mawkish crowd who chose to spend their hours standing outside Buckingham Palace, IPhones alert, standing behind pens like the sheeple they appear to be.

Each to his own. 

I rather think that the committee, or whatever, that decided to obliterate the weekend's football fixtures shot themselves in the foot considering the manner in which other major sporting events were conducted. An establishment decision of fogeys who bent backwards in their need to be seen to be doing the right thing, whilst being unable to correctly evaluate the consequences.

No matter though. It's not a major thing in the grand scheme of things, we and football will survive.

Some sympathy has to be expressed for the many thousands whose (expensive) plans for the weekend were thwarted, irrespective of their views on the institution.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Back to non-football Herman. Nobody likes you

I am the Millwall of the Pink Un.

• Haha 1

Just now, The Real Buh said:

If you left today nobody would notice

I would. So that's one more than nobody.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

You don’t give a toss about much - not sure you will have many at your funeral 

This post is myopic, egotistical and lacking in perspective.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

By that statement, it looks to me the other side of the argument is substituting ranting and raging for being passive aggressive because they know damned well their desire to create an argument is swimming against the tide.

Even Gordon Brown and Boris Johnson could engage in quiet, civil, good-humoured conversation with each other in the accession ceremony this morning ffs. 

Politicians in toeing the party line shocker?!

My point is that if games had gone ahead with fitting tribute, both sides happy, freedom to choose how/if you mark your respect.

Games cancelled, only one side is happy and you jolly well just need to get on with it or else, you're all myopic egotistical and lacking perspective. Freedom to choose removed.

Nobody here has any problem with people wanting to mourn the loss in the way they choose. The issue is stemming from the aggressive reaction to daring to question if removing that choice was really fair. Not helping is the undertone of smug condescension from Team Mourning making out anyone questioning this is uneducated dumbass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Politicians in toeing the party line shocker?!

My point is that if games had gone ahead with fitting tribute, both sides happy, freedom to choose how/if you mark your respect.

Games cancelled, only one side is happy and you jolly well just need to get on with it or else, you're all myopic egotistical and lacking perspective. Freedom to choose removed.

Nobody here has any problem with people wanting to mourn the loss in the way they choose. The issue is stemming from the aggressive reaction to daring to question if removing that choice was really fair. Not helping is the undertone of smug condescension from Team Mourning making out anyone questioning this is uneducated dumbass.

Questioning is fine. Even criticising is OK. But surely even the most anti Royalist or misanthrope must have realised that this would happen? Yes, its ruined your weekend. Yes, its complicating an already complicated season. But unless Johnson or Truss had Novichuk on their hands, it wasn't planned. So you have to accept the establishment, majority of the population and the media will take over our lives for a few days to mark this historic event.

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Imagine posting something that stupid Unironically….

Imagine being so stupid that you can't see the irony....on a daily basis. 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I know this place can be toxic but my word is this thread not helping

Start another one then that will help this place be more toxic then .😇

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Questioning is fine. Even criticising is OK. But surely even the most anti Royalist or misanthrope must have realised that this would happen? Yes, its ruined your weekend. Yes, its complicating an already complicated season. But unless Johnson or Truss had Novichuk on their hands, it wasn't planned. So you have to accept the establishment, majority of the population and the media will take over our lives for a few days to mark this historic event.

Your overall conclusion is probably correct - those of us who disagree with this are stuck with it. But I'm not going to let you get away with slipping in 'the majority of the population'. We have no idea what the majority of the population thinks, and it's very difficult to find out. Opinion poll? What do you ask? 'Do you believe Elizabeth II performed well in her role as monarch?' 97% agree. Heck, even I'd agree, and I'm no monarchist.

This presumption of the opinion of what used to be called 'the common man' is a favourite rhetorical device, as in appeals to 'the moral majority' by social conservatives when they want to stop people from doing things that they personally don't approve of. We can surmise what both the establishment and the media want, although probably for different reasons - ten days of ostentatious mourning. We don't know if that's what the majority of the population wants.

Edited by canarybubbles

28 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Your overall conclusion is probably correct - those of us who disagree with this are stuck with it. But I'm not going to let you get away with slipping in 'the majority of the population'. We have no idea what the majority of the population thinks, and it's very difficult to find out. Opinion poll? What do you ask? 'Do you believe Elizabeth II performed well in her role as monarch?' 97% agree. Heck, even I'd agree, and I'm no monarchist.

This presumption of the opinion of what used to be called 'the common man' is a favourite rhetorical device, as in appeals to 'the moral majority' by social conservatives when they want to stop people from doing things that they personally don't approve of. We can surmise what both the establishment and the media want, although probably for different reasons - ten days of ostentatious mourning. We don't know if that's what the majority of the population wants.

50% + 1 is  a majority. If we went by an overall majority of the population the nwe should still be in the EU because those who didn't vote must have been happy with the status  quo.

So how many are going to complain about a bank holiday? There won't be too much next week. Next weekend will be a bit busy I would say.

So why can't football arrange its fixtures for Friday night for instance?

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

And to think some on here have been accused of being rude and lacking respect..... 

Isn’t that what aides are for though?

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

True.  I mostly swear at mine and get them stir my tea etc. My recruiting ads always read the same..... Must have low self esteem and a thick skin.

A misapprehension by all of these sheeple outside the gates of windsor castle or buckingham palace that the royal family gives any kind of a sh!t about the 'commoners'

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

26 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

One thing i think we can all agree on..

Queen Delia (the first) would be a better monarch than King Charles III

wonder if that would increase the transfer budget if that happened?! 

However the post boxes etc could have QD on them! (I know it would really be DR)  

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Really have no idea what they’re for to be honest. William seemed to manage to move it back later without one.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

True.  I mostly swear at mine and get them stir my tea etc. My recruiting ads always read the same..... Must have low self esteem and a thick skin.

Sounds like my dating profile. That went well.... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

One thing i think we can all agree on..

Queen Delia (the first) would be a better monarch than King Charles III

I told my neighbour that I thought we should elect David Attenborough as President but she said he was too old. So I suggested his son which she thought was equally ridiculous..... 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I told my neighbour that I thought we should elect David Attenborough as President but she said he was too old. So I suggested his son which she thought was equally ridiculous..... 

Blimey Dylan, you sound like Essex! 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Blimey Dylan, you sound like Essex! 

Must admit I'd prefer David Attenborough than someone who once wanted to be a tampon. Takes all sorts I suppose