Rhino1

Myopic, egotistical and lacking perspective

What I'm struggling to understand is why people find it sad that someone passes away at the age of 96. It seems that there's a real lack of understanding or acceptance of the inevitability of death at the end of every life.

It's almost as if people start from the premise that everyone will live forever and then seem totally shocked when they don't. 96 is incredibly old - way above average. Of the many statistics I've seen the one which stands out most is that roughly 30% of (the tiny number of) people who reach 96 will die within 1 year.

So, given that she lived far longer than most of us will, why is her passing taken with such sadness? Surely we should be celebrating her life and legacy?

Then what does it achieve to bring things to a halt? What's the logic to suggest that it's 'respectful' to cancel the football? What should we be doing instead? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhino1 said:

You don’t give a toss about much - not sure you will have many at your funeral 

Why would I give a ****, I'll be dead 🤷

Still not interested in engaging in actual football conversations then? 

Probably just as well you don't have the educational maturity for anything other than slagging people off anyway. 

Very similar poster to our good old friend FredBillHorsieHerring funnily enough 😏

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Bit harsh fella 

I really, and not to encourage the stereotype of me, couldn't give a toss about Rhino's thoughts on me 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

All those moaning about the games being cancelled, will I assume, be happy to work on the Bank Holiday that’s been called for the Queens funeral? 

(I will be working, as I’m overseas before anyone comments)

Self employed so I will be working ( unless the crown are happy for me to invoice them for the day )

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Slight change of direction here, but why does Liz Truss walk like she's soiled herself? 

No fan of Ms Truss and it'll more than likely go t*ts-up for her well before the next election but I think if any of us on here had had the sort of week she's just experienced we'd all be paid-up members of the same club.

• Like 1

Seems to me that there are two sides to this argument. One ranting and raging, swearing theirs is the virtuous path and the rest shalt be damned, calling people names and telling then their vote doesn't count.

And the other is fairly neutrally asking 'but why?'

It's usually quite telling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Seems to me that there are two sides to this argument. One ranting and raging, swearing theirs is the virtuous path and the rest shalt be damned, calling people names and telling then their vote doesn't count.

And the other is fairly neutrally asking 'but why?'

It's usually quite telling.

By that statement, it looks to me the other side of the argument is substituting ranting and raging for being passive aggressive because they know damned well their desire to create an argument is swimming against the tide.

Even Gordon Brown and Boris Johnson could engage in quiet, civil, good-humoured conversation with each other in the accession ceremony this morning ffs. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Yes absolutely Mason. At last some people are beginning to talk about the success of the queen's life rather than the consequences of her death.

The previous posts have revealed a lot about regular posters on this forum notmuch of which has been good.

I for one am surprisingly disturbed by my reaction and perhaps for many of the posters their aggressive reaction is their way of coping.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

You must be self-employed ? All the teachers I know in that stressed-out profession want very day off they can grab

Just finished a six week holiday and been back 5 days. I think I’m good for another 6 weeks before I need a break 

and before it’s mentioned. Teachers don’t get paid for their extra holidays 

Edited by SwearyCanary

43 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/dissent-during-tributes-the-queen-premier-league-football-off-20220910

sooooo the games were called off because the FA were worried about fans disrespecting the queen

seems from this thread they were right… didn’t realise we had so many scousers on here

I’ve said I’d respect the minute silence. I’m dissenting about stopping all the games. I’m clearly no royalist but I’d not egg them in the street. 

11 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’ve said I’d respect the minute silence. I’m dissenting about stopping all the games. I’m clearly no royalist but I’d not egg them in the street. 

Sorry scouser, you can’t be trusted 

• Haha 1

I just hope Dean Smith doesn't start drinking out of some sort of commemorative mug...oh, the conflict and turmoil it could create. 😱😅

Apples

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

I just hope Dean Smith doesn't start drinking out of some sort of commemorative mug...oh, the conflict and turmoil it could create. 😱😅

Apples

I hope he does, it'll be fantastic. 😇

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

I understand he's been drinking out of this today 👍

images (3).jpeg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

He hasn’t drunk from a mug since I bought it up

theres a good lad Deano.

• Haha 1

Losing a weekend’s football is an irrelevance compared to the national importance of the death of the Queen, the closing of the second Elizabethan era and the ascension of King Charles and the start of a third Corolean era. Let’s keep a sense of perspective here folks.

13 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Losing a weekend’s football is an irrelevance compared to the national importance of the death of the Queen, the closing of the second Elizabethan era and the ascension of King Charles and the start of a third Corolean era. Let’s keep a sense of perspective here folks.

Why are people not actually understanding what people are saying?? 😫

Oh well, I'm off out to respectfully get ****faced in Madge's honour 👍

Football manager is still running. Got Ipswich down to 17th in league 2. Feel the sack coming. And their new manager Lambo 18!

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Not sure I see the correlation. Fairly sure both can run concurrently..

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Well I guess you cannot differentiate between the serious and the trivial. However the national and international reaction might give you a clue. 

You mean the national reaction where literally EVERYTHING ELSE has gone on this weekend? 

5 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

He hasn’t drunk from a mug since I bought it up

theres a good lad Deano.

Out of interest Buh, what is your preferred vessel for drinking tea?  My favourite, though I am smart enough to know there are no rules, is a Bone China Mug. Perfect combination of quality receptacle and volume of tea. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Out of interest Buh, what is your preferred vessel for drinking tea?  My favourite, though I am smart enough to know there are no rules, is a Bone China Mug. Perfect combination of quality receptacle and volume of tea. 

Milk in first corkio? That's a given for bone China.

9 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Well I guess you cannot differentiate between the serious and the trivial. However the national and international reaction might give you a clue. 

I agree that it's important to distinguish between the serious and the trivial. I'd be all in favour of this public show of mourning if it eventually led to the asking of serious questions. Should we still have a monarchy in the 21st century? If so, should we modernise it? If so, how? Should the monarch still be Defender of the Faith in a country which is nominally Christian but which has lots of other faiths, and where the populace in general seems to lean towards agnosticism? Should the monarchy continue to have any political role at all? What kind of country does the UK want to be and how does any monarchy fit into this?

I would argue that this orchestrated surfeit of public grief is set up to avoid these serious questions, to prevent these questions ever being raised in public.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Milk in first corkio? That's a given for bone China.

As I said, there's no rules G , just preferences. I like my Tea 'British Rail'...just like @TIL 1010🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃!! Toot Toot!! In fact my liking for BR Tea is the most nationalist thing about me.😇

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Trainer mugs | Mepal

• Haha 3