Rhino1

Myopic, egotistical and lacking perspective

2 minutes ago, duke63 said:

All this morose and downbeat reporting on TV and radio is likely to push some poor people over the edge in their own personal depression.

It's not necessary and I very much doubt the Queen herself would have wanted it.

And from a Duke too! 😊 😊 

24 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

In that case, it was definitely wrong to postpone ( it's not cancelled btw) our match 

Delia Out! 😇😇

We need a statement from Webber. He always goes quiet at times of crisis.

• Haha 2

Very unique situation so it's hard to really find a balanced way of dealing with it. However, perhaps the cancellation was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, given the fact that football, for many people, is therapy in a way, and it would have maybe given us all the opportunity to show our respects before the game somehow. I completely understand having a national day of mourning, maybe on the day of the funeral but... yes... I like the Monarchy, and I'm sadden by the news but I think this was a bit of a knee jerk reaction tbh.

I mean, my friend plays in a tribute band in Berkshire, and they're playing a gig near Windsor Castle tonight.

Edited by Michael Starr

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

Very unique situation so it's hard to really find a balanced way of dealing with it. However, perhaps the cancellation was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, given the fact that football, for many people, is therapy in a way, and it would have maybe given us all the opportunity to show our respects before the game somehow. I completely understand having a national day of mourning, maybe on the day of the funeral but... yes... I like the Monarchy, and I'm sadden by the news but I think this was a bit of a knee jerk reaction tbh.

It's does make you wonder if the Queen passed on a Monday  / Tuesday for example they would have had more time to make more of an informed decision. Perhaps. 

I think it was a good idea, if we had to suffer from not having a game then so should everyone else, it's about time the authorities stopped picking on us and let all the others get away with it.

Finally some justice.

Its what the Queen would have wanted... kids being told they can not play outside with their mates, people losing train and hotel money and a missed opportunity to show how she was respected....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Oh OK then, shall we let archant know that following the queens passing there is no need for this forum to exist too? Shame SDP has left, damn! 

Can tell them 'Capt said so' if they query it. 

What exactly do you expect this forum to achieve on this subject? Seems to be a place for WUMs at the moment.

Fans, football bodies, football club owners are expressing their opinions on the subject but some have bigger opinions than others, which is why you're not watching football this weekend.

The hyperbole on both sides of this argument is shocking.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it 'wrong' (whatever that means). It just means that someone has considered the situation and come to a different conclusion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

What exactly do you expect this forum to achieve on this subject? Seems to be a place for WUMs at the moment.

Fans, football bodies, football club owners are expressing their opinions on the subject but some have bigger opinions than others, which is why you're not watching football this weekend.

Isn't that exactly the point of a forum?? 

It's good to talk, even if people don't agree. 

Does this, or other forums achieve anything other than a place to discuss topical matters?? Or do you think Dean Smiths pops on the pre match to read the team suggestion threads? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A forum isn't the place for anything to be achieved but discussed, this is no different. Do you think any of us are thinking 'hold on if I comment on the Pink Un we'll get the games back on'? 

I get you don't agree with us, that's fine but I don't get that comment. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Isn't that exactly the point of a forum?? 

It's good to talk, even if people don't agree. 

Does this, or other forums achieve anything other than a place to discuss topical matters?? Or do you think Dean Smiths pops on the pre match to read the team suggestion threads? 

Are you trying to suggest that he doesn't.? I have it on good authority that Chris Hughton was seriously considering playing Dorrans on the left after reading this tactically genius suggestion on here.😇

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

It's does make you wonder if the Queen passed on a Monday  / Tuesday for example they would have had more time to make more of an informed decision. Perhaps. 

Yes quite. As I've said elsewhere the football bodies either read the room wrong or were too hasty.

The country has actually moved forward quickly; the King has already met people outside the Palace, has met the PM, addressed the nation and will be acclaimed King today.

The England cricket team will play at a packed Oval today.

For some reason football chose to do it differently.

• Like 1

Why couldn't Her Maj die the day before England complete in a semi-final in the World Cup in Quatar, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons. That would have upped the ante.

I do agree that ALL UK sport should have been postponed this weekend.

Football made the correct decision but for the hooray henry sports of rugby and cricket to do otherwise seems like a lack of respect IMHO. They have got it badly wrong.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke63 said:

Football made the correct decision but for the hooray henry sports of rugby and cricket to do otherwise seems like a lack of respect IMHO. They have got it badly wrong.

I love the term “hooray Henry sports” it’s bang on😂😂

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Yes, I'm sure you do, it fits your chip on shoulder paranoid radical internet dude persona 

I’m fairly ambivalent tbh, got a newborn to deal with so I’m busy anyway!

I do think they have failed to learn the lessons from all the Covid cancellations and this weekend will bite many teams in the **** later on this season. We’ve got another Covid winter as well when no doubt there will be the odd outbreak that will cause disruption. I think they should have got the games played whilst they could this weekend and then maybe postponed next weekend when there’s the actual funeral and everything.

4 minutes ago, duke63 said:

There should have been a more joined up approach that's for sure and an overarching decision to postpone (or allow) all sporting events would have been cleaner.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Plus you can consume alcohol in view of the pitch 🍺🍻

I thank many of you for proving the content of my original post accurate ! Self absorbed and lacking up top in abundance! Reality of course is there are no right answers , no right course of action - if the games had not been called off there would have been an equal amount of protesters. It’s not black and white, it’s all about balance - given the decisions been made just have some respect for others and live with it!!!! Give your trigger fingers a rest!! 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Plus you can consume alcohol in view of the pitch 🍺🍻

To be fair I would need to 'watching' rugby or cricket to make up for the lack of entertainment. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Same here, my kid won't give the Queen a second thought tody now. Had he gone to his game there would have been a minutes silence (not sure about the anthem) where they'd have all reflected. Now I'll probably take em to Yarmouth and go on the 2p machines.

Surely your kids don't need even more punishment? 

😂

3 minutes ago, duke63 said:

To be fair I would need to 'watching' rugby or cricket to make up for the lack of entertainment. 😉

My memory tells me that George Bernard Shaw said something like, "The English are not a very religious people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of the concept of eternity".

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Are you trying to suggest that he doesn't.? I have it on good authority that Chris Hughton was seriously considering playing Dorrans on the left after reading this tactically genius suggestion on here.😇

Did anyone ever think of playing Ben Godfrey at CDM? 😏

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

I thank many of you for proving the content of my original post accurate ! Self absorbed and lacking up top in abundance! Reality of course is there are no right answers , no right course of action - if the games had not been called off there would have been an equal amount of protesters. It’s not black and white, it’s all about balance - given the decisions been made just have some respect for others and live with it!!!! Give your trigger fingers a rest!! 

One day you'll actually contribute something worthwhile to this forum. All you ever do is spout bile at others. 

Go on, contribute an opinion. Pukki or Sargent? Or both? Pukki behind Sargent or Sargent on the wing? 

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Did anyone ever think of playing Ben Godfrey at CDM? 😏

Good idea, I'll get on to porcine frank right now and let him know. Cheers!!