Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

EPL games off this weekend

Seems really mixed as to what is and isn't allowed/going ahead. 

It is a very sad occasion but imagine next weeks games will get postponed as well due to the funeral. 

For PL teams it means no games until October, and then only a month of action before the World Cup break until the end of December! 

It’s being left to each sport to decide - postponing fixtures this weekend feels about right, anything more would be unnecessary.  Interesting the North Run going ahead but that is massive for charities so feels fair enough.

If the funeral is on Monday-week I don’t think there’s any further football needs postponing. 

• Like 1

I had a 5 a side match at FDC booked for tomorrow. That's now been cancelled so seems everything sport-wise is off, professionally and recreationally

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I had a 5 a side match at FDC booked for tomorrow. That's now been cancelled so seems everything sport-wise is off, professionally and recreationally

No it isn't. It's just football 

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No it isn't. It's just football 

Different rules for football. 

29 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

No surprise. The ordinary fans have to suffer so that the football authorities can display their patriotism.

Nah, they were more concerned with the reputation the game would get if fans did not behave appropriately, "policing issues" being the euphemism quoted.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

They've shut down all FDC facilities until Monday. Bizarre.

I imagine if the funeral is next week the police and other services won’t be able to do football and the funeral at once.

look, Liverpool fans will get a chance to boo the queen just as sure as they sell crack and harbour child murderers. Everybody should stop panicking. For the while just continue to boo at the television that you can turn off at any time or access every programme ever made on demand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

I imagine if the funeral is next week the police and other services won’t be able to do football and the funeral at once.

look, Liverpool fans will get a chance to boo the queen just as sure as they sell crack and harbour child murderers. Everybody should stop panicking. For the while just continue to boo at the television that you can turn off at any time or access every programme ever made on demand.

No stereotypical judgment here!

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

I kicked a Pepsi can outside Morrisons and I’ve just been arrested 😂

Can't help but feel this enforced 'formulaic' mourning as somebody else put will do nothing to enamour royalty to those indifferent to the monarchy.

2 minutes silence - the national anthem and a huge cheer and a minutes applause for the Queen as a life (and job) well done would seem far more fitting (and human) to me than finding odd jobs in the garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Can't help but feel this enforced 'formulaic' mourning as somebody else put will do nothing to enamour royalty to those indifferent to the monarchy.

2 minutes silence - the national anthem and a huge cheer and a minutes applause for the Queen as a life (and job) well done would seem far more fitting (and human) to me than finding odd jobs in the garden.

It's a desperate attempt to present a picture of a united country in a nation which is utterly divided.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s being left to each sport to decide - postponing fixtures this weekend feels about right, anything more would be unnecessary.  Interesting the North Run going ahead but that is massive for charities so feels fair enough.

If the funeral is on Monday-week I don’t think there’s any further football needs postponing. 

I dont want to sound like @TIL 1010 but my sources (and I work with a number of Police and Home Office agencies) confirm that the funeral will be Monday 19th with leave cancelled and special parades etc planned

The defender of the faith and head of our state has died, it would be inconceivable that trivia like sport should continue

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

The defender of the faith and head of our state has died, it would be inconceivable that trivia like sport should continue

Again point missed, sport IS carrying on 

22 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's a desperate attempt to present a picture of a united country in a nation which is utterly divided.

Not that many people are indifferent; it's a huge majority genuinely grieving a great public servant versus a minority of haters of little account. Nobody's going to turn on the monarchy for a missed football game after the death of our monarch of 70 years. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Most of the division appears to be on this forum tbh. Quite an extraordinary bunch of 'fans'.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Not that many people are indifferent; it's a huge majority genuinely grieving a great public servant versus a minority of haters of little account. Nobody's going to turn on the monarchy for a missed football game after the death of our monarch of 70 years. 

The vast majority of people I know, and particularly those with an IQ above 100 seem to agree that this whole thing is being taken far too seriously. She was 96. Was god supposed to save her indefinitely? 

There are genuine problems in the world - not least the many elderly people who will die this winter as a direct result of government policy - which are far more deserving of our attention.

I fail to understand (nor have I seen anyone even attempt to make a reasoned argument) why it could be considered 'disrespectful' for football or indeed any other activity to continue. 

However, football itself is also fairly insignificant in the scheme of things so it's really not worth getting worked up over, either way. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The vast majority of people I know, and particularly those with an IQ above 100 seem to agree that this whole thing is being taken far too seriously. She was 96. Was god supposed to save her indefinitely? 

There are genuine problems in the world - not least the many elderly people who will die this winter as a direct result of government policy - which are far more deserving of our attention.

I fail to understand (nor have I seen anyone even attempt to make a reasoned argument) why it could be considered 'disrespectful' for football or indeed any other activity to continue. 

However, football itself is also fairly insignificant in the scheme of things so it's really not worth getting worked up over, either way. 

Republicans are Rick and Morty fans confirmed 😂😂

”You actually have to have a high IQ to hate the queen”

I'm just to throw this out there... 

At a time of economic crisis, people have time to travel to the palaces (ok some will live near too), but take time off work, and spend a fortune on flowers for someone many haven't meant. 

Just imagine if that money went to (in my opinion) a more worthy cause....... 

23 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I'm just to throw this out there... 

At a time of economic crisis, people have time to travel to the palaces (ok some will live near too), but take time off work, and spend a fortune on flowers for someone many haven't meant. 

Just imagine if that money went to (in my opinion) a more worthy cause....... 

Better still a windfall tax on Nottingham Forest and Chelsea........

13 hours ago, Bert said:

And yet it all does apart from football….

11 hours ago, Petriix said:

No he certainly couldn’t save her indefinitely as he confirmed on Twitter..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's  not a minority. Radio 5 has raised the issue and report thousands of responses, of which the majority were in favour of football going ahead. That appears to mirror the views on Twitter where Peter Crouch got overwhelming support for suggesting games should have gone ahead. It would appear that you are the one in the minority. 

Meanwhile, small clubs all over the country will be phoning their banks to explain their unexpected overdraft and all the people who work on NMW at football grounds will be wondering how they're going to make ends meet. 

It's all gone a little bit mad. My radio alarm woke me this morning with an interview with Tim Cahill on his memories of meeting the Queen. How bizarre 

• Like 1

On the face of it a mistake to stop football, but thinking about it, it's got to be a policing issue. Many people will be going to different places around the country to do with the Royal Family this weekend to pay respects, which will need policing - plus rehearsals and preparations will have started for what will be a huge event of the funeral. The police will be fully stretched until after that.