Sign in to follow this  
Hobozilla

Burnley game

5 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Correction

There is no horse racing until Sunday and even then the meeting at Musselburgh has been called off because of the Queen's body lying in rest in Edinburgh.

Furthermore, not all businesses are open. All Bookmakers shops have been closed today and probably will be tomorrow.

It was always going to be the case that this is what would happen so I really don't see why people seem so surprised and are whinging about it.

It's not like the postponed football matches won't ever be played.

It is what it is.

Stop nitpicking and get over it.

My apologies, I didn't realise Sunday was no longer part of the weekend, was this King Charles first regal decision of his reign to change this? 

20 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

So, no point then 🤷.

Fair play to other sports who want to publicly show their respect as opposed to football who just fancy the weekend off. 

Yeah, the Premier League definitely just  'fancied' the weekend off with the possibility of impacting TV revenue across the world. It is far more work to reorganise.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

There is nothing unpleasant about allowing people freedom of choice - the fact that you think that there is demonstrates a lot about you. Just because RTB thinks something, it doesn't mean that everybody else has to go along with it 🤔 

The EFL has been free to choose what they think they should do. They've chosen to postpone this weekend's fixtures. 

To my knowledge all of the sporting events that are going ahead are those on Sunday, not Saturday. Saturday is the day of King Charles' accession ceremony so no doubt that's the driving force behind the FA's thinking. 

43 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The EFL has been free to choose what they think they should do. They've chosen to postpone this weekend's fixtures. 

To my knowledge all of the sporting events that are going ahead are those on Sunday, not Saturday. Saturday is the day of King Charles' accession ceremony so no doubt that's the driving force behind the FA's thinking. 

1. Exactly. The EFL has made a decision exercising their right to do so. I question why it is just sport that has to pay respect by postponements exercising a similar freedom. It is a free(ish) society despite the efforts of the forces that have brainwashed RTB (you would need to see some of his political posts to understand).

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If you mean this Saturday then that is incorrect- Rugby and Cricket both taking place on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

If you mean this Saturday then that is incorrect- Rugby and Cricket both taking place on Saturday.

As is the Golf 

Need a reason, here you go -

Prince William has been President of the Football Association (FA) for the past 15 years.

The Royal took over the role in May 2006. And it's something he takes seriously, being a regular at the FA Cup final, where he hands the cup to the winning team.

Football Supporters Association:

“We believe football is at its finest when bringing people together at times of huge national significance – be those moments of joy or moments of mourning,” said the FSA in a statement. “Our view, which we shared with the football authorities, is that most supporters would have liked to go to games this weekend and pay their respect to the Queen alongside their fellow fans."

“Not everyone will agree, so there was no perfect decision for the football authorities, but many supporters will feel this was an opportunity missed for football to pay its own special tributes."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/09/football-supporters-association-postponements-tribute-to-queen-misssed-opportunity

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

My apologies, I didn't realise Sunday was no longer part of the weekend, was this King Charles first regal decision of his reign to change this? 

They are only bloody football matches which in the overall scheme of things this week are really not that important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

You seem not to understand that membership of the Commonwealth is entirely voluntary and no country has been forced to join. So for you to say that the Commonwealth was set up for the detriment of other nations doesn't stand up to scrutiny. So popular among Commonwealth nations is the organisation that countries having no historical link to the United Kingdom have sought to join the Commonwealth, recognising how the organisation gives them a voice on the world stage.

You’re right, I often hear the voice of Kiribati and Tuvalu and just how much the UK is doing to stop climate change so they’re not sunk out of existence. We will get right on that once we’re done extracting more North Sea oil 

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Football played Thursday, Horse racing abandoned their meetings after 2 races Thursday, and the night races were called off. 
I am neither for or against, I am disappointed I am not going to Burnley tonight, but also understand why these decisions have been made. They should however be making the decisions quicker and more confidently as on Tuesday I have had to take a day off to travel to Norwich, but if the game is being called off I could have cancelled that day off today.

To show you can’t win, schools remain open, yet thousands seem to be stating they should be closed, I bet if they were closed thousands would be saying they should be open.

9 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

They are only bloody football matches which in the overall scheme of things this week are really not that important.

Which is the thought a good number of UK folk will be feeling about the death of the Queen. She was 96. She never met almost all those now supposedly grieving. People should be free to act as they wish without some type of North Korean, required public display of grief. 

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Tough ****.

As Badger said, a bit of resilience is required.

Yeah, you’re right. I can put up with waiting to help people considering suicide because they can’t feed or warm their children’s home, so long as I have 10 whole days to think about a seemingly nice lady I never met, who was never elected, who died 15 years above the average life expectancy in one her several palaces. TEN DAYS NOT SORTING ACTUAL PROBLEMS. 

Only someone financially fine who doesn’t encounter these issues could suggest a ten day hiatus is something we just need a bit of resilience for or more accurately the phrase ‘tough ****’. 

The Queen wouldn’t want that, clearly some on here don’t get that and if it wasn’t for the Tory membership being such staunch royalists then this idea would be so laughable it’s hard to believe it’s even being suggested. They’ll be alright though so like Truss said, the rest of us just aren’t working hard enough 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Which is the thought a good number of UK folk will be feeling about the death of the Queen. She was 96. She never met almost all those now supposedly grieving. People should be free to act as they wish without some type of North Korean, required public display of grief. 

Please do tell me when the police arrest you for not showing enough grief. You are free to either mourn or celebrate as you see fit.

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

They should however be making the decisions quicker and more confidently as on Tuesday I have had to take a day off to travel to Norwich, but if the game is being called off I could have cancelled that day off today.

'Manchester City's Champions League game with Borussia Dortmund at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday will go ahead as planned.' BBC

We should be OK for Wednesday.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Football Supporters Association:

“We believe football is at its finest when bringing people together at times of huge national significance – be those moments of joy or moments of mourning,” said the FSA in a statement. “Our view, which we shared with the football authorities, is that most supporters would have liked to go to games this weekend and pay their respect to the Queen alongside their fellow fans."

“Not everyone will agree, so there was no perfect decision for the football authorities, but many supporters will feel this was an opportunity missed for football to pay its own special tributes."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/09/football-supporters-association-postponements-tribute-to-queen-misssed-opportunity

There’s nothing stopping football paying it’s own ‘special tributes’ midweek/next weekend, where matches will fall before the royal funeral.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Please do tell me when the police arrest you for not showing enough grief. You are free to either mourn or celebrate as you see fit.

I am talking about social pressure. North Korea DID NOT arrest those not grieving. I am not free to act as I wish. The Last Night of the Proms has been cancelled. Do not talk of celebrating either. That was never stated, nor inferred either.

6 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sorry, but now you are just beginning to sound entitled. The way you refer to 'a 96-year old lady' instead of using her title 'Queen' or position 'Head of State' also suggests you are intentionally being disrespectful. When Christian Eriksen had a cardiac arrest during a game of football, this forum was full of messages saying some things are more important than football, and rightly so. Today, a number of posters such as yourself have revealed a side to their character that isn't pleasant.

Didn’t elect her, never had a choice, just like Charlie. Why is it unpleasant to want to have a say in who can hold power over your life? She was the Queen. She wasn’t MY Queen. To me she was a total stranger. RIP. Now on we all go. 

22 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Football played Thursday, Horse racing abandoned their meetings after 2 races Thursday, and the night races were called off. 
I am neither for or against, I am disappointed I am not going to Burnley tonight, but also understand why these decisions have been made. They should however be making the decisions quicker and more confidently as on Tuesday I have had to take a day off to travel to Norwich, but if the game is being called off I could have cancelled that day off today.

To show you can’t win, schools remain open, yet thousands seem to be stating they should be closed, I bet if they were closed thousands would be saying they should be open.

I’m a teacher, closing school would be catastrophic for settling children right at start of school and disrupt their education. I don’t care that I don’t get 10 days off like the MPs (I’m sure they’re not being paid for that time off right?) because keeping schools open is more important to the children’s well-being. Anyone stating they should close doesn’t work in them and has no clue the impact it would have. But because I’m working I need my mental health support, which is NCFC. They mean more to me and have been a lifeline with a community that eclipses what the Queen has done for me (nothing). But I go without. 

She died. It’s sad. I don’t care beyond that and that does not make me satan just because some do really care. Totally fine by me, but my view is no less valid 

44 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

'Manchester City's Champions League game with Borussia Dortmund at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday will go ahead as planned.' BBC

We should be OK for Wednesday.

Indeed

I always really expected the midweek games to go ahead, you would think though with this decision, the FA could tell us all what’s happening now. 

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Need a reason, here you go -

Prince William has been President of the Football Association (FA) for the past 15 years.

The Royal took over the role in May 2006. And it's something he takes seriously, being a regular at the FA Cup final, where he hands the cup to the winning team.

Wow, well I’m convinced! However would we cope without him attending matches for free and carrying a tin cup? Did he interview for that position then? I must’ve missed it being advertised 😂

Worst reason EVER. Try again 

7 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Wow, well I’m convinced! However would we cope without him attending matches for free and carrying a tin cup? Did he interview for that position then? I must’ve missed it being advertised 😂

Worst reason EVER. Try again 

The one good thing that has come from her passing is how the nation has pulled together. 😇

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m a teacher, closing school would be catastrophic for settling children right at start of school and disrupt their education. I don’t care that I don’t get 10 days off like the MPs (I’m sure they’re not being paid for that time off right?) because keeping schools open is more important to the children’s well-being. Anyone stating they should close doesn’t work in them and has no clue the impact it would have. But because I’m working I need my mental health support, which is NCFC. They mean more to me and have been a lifeline with a community that eclipses what the Queen has done for me (nothing). But I go without. 

She died. It’s sad. I don’t care beyond that and that does not make me satan just because some do really care. Totally fine by me, but my view is no less valid 

2 minutes ago, stewfil said:

God (or whoever you believe in) help the pupils you teach. 

Why? Do you have to be a staunch Royalist to be able to teach?

12 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Didn’t elect her, never had a choice, just like Charlie. Why is it unpleasant to want to have a say in who can hold power over your life? She was the Queen. She wasn’t MY Queen. To me she was a total stranger. RIP. Now on we all go. 

In what way did the Queen hold power over your life ? Did she tell you where to live or what job to do ? She doesn’t decide fuel prices or interest rates. You don’t have to be a royalist I agree but you also don’t have to be so bitter about stuff