Sign in to follow this  
Hobozilla

Burnley game

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sorry, but now you are just beginning to sound entitled. The way you refer to 'a 96-year old lady' instead of using her title 'Queen' or position 'Head of State' also suggests you are intentionally being disrespectful.

You had said "Your football" only a few posts back, was a bit pissy itself.

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sorry, but now you are just beginning to sound entitled. The way you refer to 'a 96-year old lady' instead of using her title 'Queen' or position 'Head of State' also suggests you are intentionally being disrespectful. When Christian Eriksen had a cardiac arrest during a game of football, this forum was full of messages saying some things are more important than football, and rightly so. Today, a number of posters such as yourself have revealed a side to their character that isn't pleasant.

There is nothing unpleasant about allowing people freedom of choice - the fact that you think that there is demonstrates a lot about you. Just because RTB thinks something, it doesn't mean that everybody else has to go along with it 🤔 

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sorry, but now you are just beginning to sound entitled. The way you refer to 'a 96-year old lady' instead of using her title 'Queen' or position 'Head of State' also suggests you are intentionally being disrespectful. When Christian Eriksen had a cardiac arrest during a game of football, this forum was full of messages saying some things are more important than football, and rightly so. Today, a number of posters such as yourself have revealed a side to their character that isn't pleasant.

With respect, the counter argument is also coming across as condescending in a big way.

'A matter of greater importance to the majority of us that takes precedence' is completely subjective. 'Your football'; chicken posting earlier 'go do something productive instead'.

The argument isn't even about 'should the games be played' now, it's become 'are you allowed to be annoyed about it and does that mean you're a bad person'?

• Like 1

Just now, Mason 47 said:

With respect, the counter argument is also coming across as condescending in a big way.

'A matter of greater importance to the majority of us that takes precedence' is completely subjective. 'Your football'; chicken posting earlier 'go do something productive instead'.

It might be "subjective", but regardless of what you think about things, a monarch dying after a 71 year reign is a pretty big historic event in its own right. Surely people can appreciate that? Or do you think we should play matches and go to work on Christmas Day because some people don't celebrate it?

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Interesting to read that sport continued as normal in 1952 after the last monarch passed away. It does feel as time has gone on there is a very performative aspect to some of this.

The generally accepted modern phrase for what you describe is,  'Virtue signalling'.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

Perhaps you should learn a little bit of resilience rather than expect others to pander to your sensitivities? Just because you think it is important doesn't mean that everybody else should have to have to do as you want.

If you don't want to watch nobody would force you but you seem to want to force everybody else to share your priorities. Ever heard of freedom of choice?

Does this mean we now have the right to criticise our owner,  without certain people losing the plot,  on here now 😜

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

It might be "subjective", but regardless of what you think about things, a monarch dying after a 71 year reign is a pretty big historic event in its own right. Surely people can appreciate that? Or do you think we should play matches and go to work on Christmas Day because some people don't celebrate it?

Of course it's a big event Ian, nobody is denying that, nor the fact that she was a remarkable figure and a great servant to the country. The point are simple ones, however:

1. Pubs, clubs, betting shops and everything else is open as normal - why should sport alone stop?

2. Not everybody shares our belief about the Queen, why should we impose our beliefs upon them and restrict their freedom of action. Other peoples' views and belies have value as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

I think there was also a risk factor as to how Liverpool supporters ( and maybe others ) would react.

Yeah, I get that although all of my Liverpool supporting friends and family (yes some actually Scousers) have been totally respectful. But I get if any club would have let themselves down they would, however when football returns there will still be minutes silences everywhere so still that chance it could be spoilt by idiots. 

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The generally accepted modern phrase for what you describe is,  'Virtue signalling'.

I hate that phrase - if people want to pay respect to the Queen, wear poppies at Remembrance time, sing the national anthem etc, they should be respected for their beliefs not accused of "virtue signalling."

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Badger said:

I hate that phrase - if people want to pay respect to the Queen, wear poppies at Remembrance time, sing the national anthem etc, they should be respected for their beliefs not accused of "virtue signalling."

Of course - I agree with you completely. It's just that the phrase has entered the popular lexicon as a way for right wing nut jobs to have a go at people for being 'woke' etc. Really I was just pointing out that it's very easy to use the phrase in other contexts.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Does this mean we now have the right to criticise our owner,  without certain people losing the plot,  on here now 😜

TBH, I had never really noticed much reluctance to so ... 😃

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Don't get me started on Poppies😂

• Like 1

Sports on this weekend:

Rugby 

Cricket

Golf

Horse Racing

Great North Run

Sports totally off this weekend :

Football

🙄🙄🙄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

There’s an obvious difference between disagreeing with someone and telling them they shouldn’t be expressing that disagreement. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Of course - I agree with you completely. It's just that the phrase has entered the popular lexicon as a way for right wing nut jobs to have a go at people for being 'woke' etc. Really I was just pointing out that it's very easy to use the phrase in other contexts.

Virtue signalling is only applicable to snowflakes. And snowflakes are only snowflakes if their issue is with something the right are in favour of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chicken said:

There is nothing left to say, weekends games are off whether you like it or not. To be played at a later date, so you won't miss anything.

I think this forum and thread will prove you very wrong on that one. ☹️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Virtue signalling is only applicable to snowflakes. And snowflakes are only snowflakes if their issue is with something the right are in favour of.

A bit of a simplification but basically you are correct 🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Mr Angry said:

A bit of a simplification but basically you are correct 🤣🤣🤣

I’m sure there are forums out there with a more sophisticated level of debate, but this is the PinkUn. 😂

36 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Sports on this weekend:

Rugby 

Cricket

Golf

Horse Racing

Great North Run

Sports totally off this weekend :

Football

🙄🙄🙄

“Sports”

Don't know if it was my call if i'd have postponed sport / football but either way it's not the big deal some on here are painting it to be. If it's seen as putting a bit more of a marker down on a poignant moment in history, if it's seen as respecting a period we'll never see repeated, then fair enough!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Don't know if it was my call if i'd have postponed sport / football but either way it's not the big deal some on here are painting it to be. If it's seen as putting a bit more of a marker down on a poignant moment in history, if it's seen as respecting a period we'll never see repeated, then fair enough!

But what's the point if its just football doing it? I presume you went to work today? I went to work today, and for my job had to go to various East Anglian towns today, all busy all businesses open, didn't see anywhere closed out of respect, and roads very busy. 

So why is it just football doing this? Cricket, Golf Rugby and Horse Racing have all said they want to have the opportunity to show their respect and grief collectively this weekend, why does football not share this respect? Poor form on footballs account imo. 

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

But what's the point if its just football doing it? I presume you went to work today? I went to work today, and for my job had to go to various East Anglian towns today, all busy all businesses open, didn't see anywhere closed out of respect, and roads very busy. 

So why is it just football doing this? Cricket, Golf Rugby and Horse Racing have all said they want to have the opportunity to show their respect and grief collectively this weekend, why does football not share this respect? Poor form on footballs account imo. 

Football is deciding to show it's respect differently? I don't see how there's a right or wrong answer.

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Football is deciding to show it's respect differently? I don't see how there's a right or wrong answer.

So, no point then 🤷.

Fair play to other sports who want to publicly show their respect as opposed to football who just fancy the weekend off. 

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Correction

There is no horse racing until Sunday and even then the meeting at Musselburgh has been called off because of the Queen's body lying in rest in Edinburgh.

Furthermore, not all businesses are open. All Bookmakers shops have been closed today and probably will be tomorrow.

It was always going to be the case that this is what would happen so I really don't see why people seem so surprised and are whinging about it.

It's not like the postponed football matches won't ever be played.

It is what it is.

Stop nitpicking and get over it.