Sign in to follow this  
Hobozilla

Burnley game

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Even though I personally would have no problem at all with life continuing as normal, there was never even the slightest possibility that sport would continue to be played in the immediate aftermath of the death of a monarch.

You obviously understand it better than me (and I mean that genuinely), so my overriding question to that is; why? I don't get it.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Even though I personally would have no problem at all with life continuing as normal, there was never even the slightest possibility that sport would continue to be played in the immediate aftermath of the death of a monarch.

This. Although as others have said, if the match had gone ahead with a minute’s silence and black armbands it would probably been a more popular and dare I say appropriate way to mark the event. I might even have sung the national anthem (which is actually a monarchy anthem) for once. 

As it is I will probably drink too much and grumble most of tomorrow evening. And be unable to make the match when it’s rescheduled, causing more grumbling. Hardly the best way to show respect for her passing.

• Like 2

I’d strongly suspect an age divide with those that are bothered and want the world to stand still and those that are less fussed and want to just crack on. I also think that divide shows just what’ll happen to the institution that is the monarchy once the older generation moves on. I already think it’ll take a hit because so many of the supporters only really supported the Queen and don’t rate Charlie boy. 

It’s like Farke vs Smith all over again 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yet you , I and everyone else will presumably carry on working as normal during this period

6 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’d strongly suspect an age divide with those that are bothered and want the world to stand still and those that are less fussed and want to just crack on. I also think that divide shows just what’ll happen to the institution that is the monarchy once the older generation moves on. I already think it’ll take a hit because so many of the supporters only really supported the Queen and don’t rate Charlie boy. 

It’s like Farke vs Smith all over again 😂

It is incredible in this day and age that such a notion as a royal family should still be in existence..particularly when they hold so little power or influence yet still have all the privileges

Whatever must countries who have no monarchy be thinking of this charade?!?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’d strongly suspect an age divide with those that are bothered and want the world to stand still and those that are less fussed and want to just crack on.

Apparently age makes you more likely to gloss over certain things too.

ZiVlZ4Q.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

This. Although as others have said, if the match had gone ahead with a minute’s silence and black armbands it would probably been a more popular and dare I say appropriate way to mark the event. I might even have sung the national anthem (which is actually a monarchy anthem) for once. 

As it is I will probably drink too much and grumble most of tomorrow evening. And be unable to make the match when it’s rescheduled, causing more grumbling. Hardly the best way to show respect for her passing.

Completely agree. It’s not disrespectful to play football in these circumstances at all. I’ll still be working and I can’t see parents of the kids I teach supporting any decision to shut school for a few days so they can mourn. The national anthem is appalling and I never sing it. It represents nothing other than the institutions of the church and the monarchy. As an atheist non royalist it’s like me singing how much I love Ipswich. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dame to Blame said:

Going to be hard work fitting in fixtures now with all these postponement's, it was bad enough with the world cup , and starting the season early. Thank god we have a big squad we are going to need it. 

We managed last time in the Champs when Covid  caused the season to start in mid September...yes with the World Cup gobbling nearly a month away to itll be midweek games every week when teams can play...least we are slightly better off than Coventry, its gonna be a fixture pile up for them  no doubting.

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It is incredible in this day and age that such a notion as a royal family should still be in existence..particularly when they hold so little power or influence

Denmark get their treatment of it right. It’s a tourist attraction, like tussauds or Thorpe park 

24 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yet you , I and everyone else will presumably carry on working as normal during this period

Just like she did until 2 days before she died, when she actually managed to pretend to be pleased she was granting control of the country to Liz Truss....

I have been criticised before for coming late to a topic. Here I am late again.

I am a republican but it has been recognised by many of us that the Queen did a very good job . 

I am also rather old so please don't assume the differences in opinion are generational.

However a period of mourning 11 days up to the funeral I think seems appropriate to me. So let's all accept that a few postponed football matches are small beer compared with 70 years service.

The bigger question for the country and the commonwealth is what will follow. I have been surprised by the number of people on this forum who have expressed reservations about the monarchy.

Meanwhile poor people have been asked today to find another £10 a week for energy whilst energy firms are forecast to make £170 billion excess profits with no extra tax.

Fortunately that gross policy is now confined to the inside pages of the newspapers.

Every cloud and all that ......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m a true UK citizen and the commonwealth was established for the benefit of the UK but the detriment of other nations. We use the commonwealth legislation to prevent Caribbean nations getting reparations from us for being ruthlessly and forcefully used in the slave trade and UK companies control over £1 trillion worth of natural resources in commonwealth African nations, channeling around £30 Billion of their wealth our way. We use a few other commonwealth nations as nice little tax havens for the wealthy to dodge paying their dues so forgive me if I don’t laud or support any recognition of that disgusting organisation which many countries are seeking to leave. 

I do appreciate however that she came across as a nice lady with good dress sense. Genuinely hope she rests in peace, but I’ll be whistling a cheery tune at work tomorrow regardless, not out of disrespect but because being miserable is unhelpful and horrible and I don’t feel in any way close to it (except a bit irked that I can’t do what brings me joy tomorrow night anymore). 

You seem not to understand that membership of the Commonwealth is entirely voluntary and no country has been forced to join. So for you to say that the Commonwealth was set up for the detriment of other nations doesn't stand up to scrutiny. So popular among Commonwealth nations is the organisation that countries having no historical link to the United Kingdom have sought to join the Commonwealth, recognising how the organisation gives them a voice on the world stage.

Is sport different to Theatres and Cinemas or Pubs and Restaurants?

Perhaps I can drink in my local tomorrow night and salute the Queen or not as the case may be? Then again perhaps not?

Would it be more respectful than going to Burnley or sitting at home watching on TV?

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

There will be 10 days of national mourning.

This will go on for quite a while.

Consider yourself lucky. When I was in Thailand and the king died, they announced one year of national mourning. People were expected to wear black clothing for a full twelve months.

Have we lost the ability to endure a modicum of resilience? It's not as though the league is being abandoned completely. We won't lose a single game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm afraid I don't follow?

I don't care, don't make me.

I do care, don't stop me.

Simple really. 

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It is incredible in this day and age that such a notion as a royal family should still be in existence..particularly when they hold so little power or influence yet still have all the privileges

It's incredible in this day and age that people still want to play it like there are only two options - monarchy or no monarchy.

There are also examples of monarchies that have no real benefits other than to forfill some roles, otherwise they work jobs within the same realms as anyone else.

Back on topic, as Norwich fans we often bring up catchment area...it's overwhelmingly conservative. So you can fairly solidly suggest those against any form of monarchy are in the minority.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Think the last poll I read was around 65 percent of people care about the Monarchy.

Something like 65% of Irish claim to be Catholics, but aren't. 

Anyone considered the impact this will have on the National teams chances at the world cup? Not that I give a shoite.but some aparently do, a lot of the same people who 'loved' old Lizzy. 🤷

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I would imagine next midweek games will go ahead. These are short term decisions as a mark of respect, nothing else. 

You also have to accept that if games do go ahead the atmosphere might be somewhat muted.

Like the commentator for the Man u game last night, blaming their performance on the ' tragic news ' that a 96 year old had died( how many even cared a bit?) .Clue ... Not many are even British. 

My mum died in June at age 95, sure we were sad but 95!! That is one hell of an innings and we celebrated her life .  There is no escape from death, it is inevitable. There is so much more sadness and tradgedy in a life cut short than the passing of an old lady ( no disrespect, just a fact). 

6 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Be mad about the game being off or don’t but…

Don’t be the guy who moans the queen stuff on telly is too much. It makes you look like a backwards weirdo who doesn’t know about on demand streaming.

Even the BBC do it, can be enjoyed with a Mug of Tea.......and your hands in your pockets if want to upset an internet frog. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

Ten days of enforced mourning seems rather anachronistic to me. When I was young, not long after the war, the United Kingdom probably really was a united kingdom, and the vast majority of people sincerely loved the Royal Family as a symbol of it. I think there would have a real grass-roots swelling of feeling and a desire to collectively mourn rather than have it decreed from on high. But the UK has fragmented and divided in so many ways since then and I suspect the number of people who deeply care about the Royals is a minority, and possibly a small minority.  

Like almost everything public these days, the period of mourning will be largely performative rather than deeply felt, at least for most people. As others have said on here, if people can't go to sports events, they'll go shopping instead. Is this really how we want the country to mourn? By buying more crap it doesn't need?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

All the members of the Betting & Gaming Council, including Ladbrokes, Coral, Betfred, William Hill and Paddy Power, will be closing their shops on Friday following the Queen's death.

The BHA will confirm plans for Saturday's fixtures and beyond in due course.

When King George VI died in 1952, all racing in Britain was cancelled until after his funeral nine days later. But it was February, with no Flat racing and only a few unimportant jumps meetings.

The same had happened after the deaths of King George V in January 1936, King Edward VII in May 1910 (when Flat as well as jumps meetings had to be cancelled) and Queen Victoria in January 1901.

In all four cases there was no racing in Britain between the monarch's death and the state funeral.

Edited by Making Plans

8 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

By buying more crap it doesn't need?

Tried to save the trees
Bought a plastic bag
The bottom fell out
It was a piece of crap

Saw it on the tube
Bought it on the phone
Now you're home alone
It's a piece of crap

I tried to plug in it
I tried to turn it on
When I got it home
It was a piece of crap

Got it from a friend
On him you can depend
I found out in the end
It was a piece of crap

I'm trying to save the trees
I saw it on TV
They cut the forest down
To build a piece of crap

I went back to the store
They gave me four more
The guy told me at the door
It's a piece of crap

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I had a tear in my eye at the news, what's wrong with that?

It just seems strange to me is all, crying for someone you never knew 

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Last night's matches were played though 

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm going to disagree, I think the vast majority of UK citizens are indifferent towards to the monarchy. 

I think that whatever peoples views are on the monarchy, most people respected the Queen for how she conducted herself during her reign.

I do though think mass cancellations of sporting events is unnecessary and hope we are not going to see all our games prior to the funeral called off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

“tHiS cOvERaGe iS RiDiCuLOuS! ItS eVeRy ChAnNel!! I’m AnGrY nOw!! GrOg MaD!!”

*continues to watch coverage*
image.png.e3f536fc80743ee2f4724796eb50268b.png

Internet ' comedy commentator ' fails yet again by jumping on a non issue , get some priorities cretin. You are a waste of 1s and Zeros . For someone who bangs on about standards, yours are pretty low.

8 hours ago, All the Germans said:

You obviously understand it better than me (and I mean that genuinely), so my overriding question to that is; why? I don't get it.

Because, like it or not, she's a monarch. Some people seem to be treating this like a death in their own family, which is what the media at large seem to be trying to get as many of us as possible to do, so we're being told to mourn, grieve and not have fun whether we like it not. 

• Like 1