Sign in to follow this  
Hobozilla

Burnley game

4 minutes ago, canarycop said:

What do you think Charlie on the day you have lost ya mother. Shall we go ahead and play some footy just to keep someone happy. The Queens loss will be felt throughout the World. For the sake of sanity let's just call it all off now. As a Norwich fan I would like the club to say we won't play but it shouldn't be for them to decide. Someone needs to grow a pair and show some damn respect

Ridiculous. We've got a club legend that turned out for us hours after his daughter died horrendously prematurely but we have to stop football because a woman in her 90s has popped her clogs?

Like someone else said, she was renowned for carrying on through adversity; the greatest tribute would be to follow in her example.

Though also with an extra bank holiday.

• Like 2

Today's matches were unlikely to be cancelled at such short notice but tomorrow's is a different story

Edited by AJ

EFL:  Consideration in respect of EFL fixtures will be discussed with the Government and the wider sport sector during the period ahead and an appropriate announcement will be made at the earliest opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Grow up

Someone has a different opinion to you.  I have a different opinion too.  I imagine games will be postponed but I don’t necessarily think they should be.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, canarycop said:

What do you think Charlie on the day you have lost ya mother. Shall we go ahead and play some footy just to keep someone happy. The Queens loss will be felt throughout the World. For the sake of sanity let's just call it all off now. As a Norwich fan I would like the club to say we won't play but it shouldn't be for them to decide. Someone needs to grow a pair and show some damn respect

That's a strange way of looking at it. People lose their mothers every day, but I doubt they get offended by the thought of Walsall playing Gillingham the next day. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, canarycop said:

Grow up

I think you need to take your own advice instead of stamping your little feet. 

I bet you will still watch tomorrow if it goes ahead 🙄

Immaculate period of silence at Old Trafford tonight, and observed by the Spanish fans too, that's what I want to see this weekend and would be massively respectful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, canarycop said:

Each to their own I suppose. I cried when I heard the news. Many I suppose didn't. 

I would say most didn’t. I didn’t and I also served in the armed forces.

I suspect the game will be postponed but don’t see why it should be

• Like 1

Standing on the terrace having a moment of reflection followed by singing the national anthem vs staying at home and most likely doing some DIY on the house. I know which one is more patriotic and what should be the case, but imagine it will end up being the latter. RIP Your Magesty. 

• Like 2

Just now, Matt Juler said:

Standing on the terrace having a moment of reflection followed by singing the national anthem vs staying at home and most likely doing some DIY on the house. I know which one is more patriotic and what should be the case, but imagine it will end up being the latter. RIP Your Magesty. 

How long do think it will be before everyone stops singing 'Queen' by mistake? 

My strike has been cancelled. Told my boss I'm too sad to go in!

Bonus tho. At least I'll be able to buy that Lego after all!

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think you need to take your own advice instead of stamping your little feet. 

I bet you will still watch tomorrow if it goes ahead 🙄

Immaculate period of silence at Old Trafford tonight, and observed by the Spanish fans too, that's what I want to see this weekend and would be massively respectful. 

I am sure you will as all other sports are stopping tomorrow and recommencing on Saturday, so don’t see why football would be different and not have games over the weekend. The weekend after however a little different with a lot of ceremony on the Saturday and the state funeral on the Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I am sure you will as all other sports are stopping tomorrow and recommencing on Saturday, so don’t see why football would be different and not have games over the weekend. The weekend after however a little different with a lot of ceremony on the Saturday and the state funeral on the Sunday.

Where have you seen the funeral is next Sunday

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I will stand corrected, but looking at Skybet the only sporting event I can still see not postponed in the U.K. is Burnley v Norwich City.

If it’s on tell us.

Can still bet on Saturdays games? 

Screenshot_2022-09-08-20-13-22-76_282140db196440471192f80783ed5fd4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

How long do think it will be before everyone stops singing 'Queen' by mistake? 

I think the 'King' part will be fine, but 'her' to 'him' will be troublesome! I think one guy near me still sings Worthy's Green Army. 

Just now, city4eva said:

Where have you seen the funeral is next Sunday

Unless they change protocol it’s 10 days after the death. Here is the mapping out and everything today has happened exactly in order it was supposed to happen. Unless it changes here is the 11 day itinerary 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/08/the-queens-funeral-what-we-can-expect-over-the-next-10-days?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

18 minutes ago, canarycop said:

What do you think Charlie on the day you have lost ya mother. Shall we go ahead and play some footy just to keep someone happy.

...Or Charles, perhaps you'd prefer we instead cancel everything and let the likes of Piers Morgan gain hours of free publicity across the airwaves?

(IMO) We should be celebrating this woman's life, not mopping around being told how sad we should be feeling about it all via media outlets.  Because that's the alternative and it's not in keeping with the woman. 

I can't think of a better way than hundreds of events up and down the country, with thousands of people able to pay their respects publicly.  Without doubt, this should signal a celebration of her life... Because love or hate the monarchy, I think it's fair to say most do have a genuine huge respect for her.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Can still bet on Saturdays games? 

Screenshot_2022-09-08-20-13-22-76_282140db196440471192f80783ed5fd4.jpg

You can still bet on Burnley v Norwich tomorrow, but you can’t on horse racing, cricket etc as all postponed. 

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The gig I’m going to is definitely on and  I don’t see that as disrespectful or anything.   Each to their own.  

Not a sex pistols tribute, I hope!? 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Unless they change protocol it’s 10 days after the death. Here is the mapping out and everything today has happened exactly in order it was supposed to happen. Unless it changes here is the 11 day itinerary 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/08/the-queens-funeral-what-we-can-expect-over-the-next-10-days?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Thanks. On a purely selfish note , I hope it doesnt affect flights out of the UK on the day of the funeral

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If the matches do go ahead with a minutes silence and the national anthem I would not want to be at Celtic thats for sure..🙃

Would certainly have been interesting had Liverpool been at home tonight

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If the matches do go ahead with a minutes silence and the national anthem I would not want to be at Celtic thats for sure..🙃

Liverpool are at home as well. It would be interesting to see how a minute's silence would go down there, but that's more of question for Tuesday's game at home to Ajax.

Just now, city4eva said:

Thanks. On a purely selfish note , I hope it doesnt affect flights out of the UK on the day of the funeral

Can’t see it will. Of course I suppose it could change, but this has been in place and rehearsed for many years. If you notice today, everything has been done by that timetable.

17 minutes ago, city4eva said:

I would say most didn’t. I didn’t and I also served in the armed forces.

I suspect the game will be postponed but don’t see why it should be

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You can still bet on Burnley v Norwich tomorrow, but you can’t on horse racing, cricket etc as all postponed. 

I've misunderstood your post it seems, I thought you said Burnley v Norwich was the only football game you could still bet on, which it isn't. 

• Like 1

I was probably a little bit emotional earlier. I will always encourage people to celebrate someone's life in the best possible way. That's my job after all. I will go to work tomorrow to probably find another family has lost someone close to them. As always I will be professional. Still upset though but that won't cloud my judgement when I go to work. So yes.. probably the best way to celebrate her life would be to carry on as normal. I am big enough to accept I was wrong. 

• Like 8