Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Long Live the King!

15 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I like him and hope he doesn't stop saying his bit on climate and the environment. 

Agreed. Neither of those matters are political. They let z list celebrities spout off about it.

• Like 2

It sounds really odd on the ear to hear the commentators talking about 'the King'. It sounds like a throwback to the second world war. I haven't got used to it yet. 

Edited by Rock The Boat

20 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It sounds really odd on the ear to hear the commentators talking about 'the King'. It sounds like a throwback to the second world war. I haven't got used to it yet. 

It is odd yes RTB. I must admit when I've heard King Charles being said on the TV my mind has just wanted to add Spaniel 🙂

Shows how conditioned the mind is. I'm sure we will become used to it very soon.

54 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It is odd yes RTB. I must admit when I've heard King Charles being said on the TV my mind has just wanted to add Spaniel 🙂

Shows how conditioned the mind is. I'm sure we will become used to it very soon.

I had a similar moment when someone mentioned that a lawyer who was a QC now becomes a KC,  and my mind automatically added " and the Sunshine Band"

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I had a similar moment when someone mentioned that a lawyer who was a QC now becomes a KC,  and my mind automatically added " and the Sunshine Band"

Not until they return to work

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2022 at 19:47, keelansgrandad said:

I feel sorry in some ways for him. I don't want a King but as the monarchy exists I think its unfair that he is having to take it on in his mid 70s. The Queen should have abdicated 10 years ago.

The Queen did promise to the people/us that she would be Queen her entire life to be fair .

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The Queen did promise to the people/us that she would be Queen her entire life to be fair .

That is why it becomes abdication.

I can never quite decide if I want to abolish the monarchy but then the words "President Liz Truss" spring to mind and I think "nope, nope, nope, I'd rather have Edward Scissorhands do a prostate check on me than consider that!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canary73 said:

Republic please - time these freeloading parasites were turfed out.

Is that how you feel about the animal rising activists?

36 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Is that how you feel about the animal rising activists?

No problem with them its the Royals that need slinging out and put their vacated buildings to use by housing refugees. 

1 minute ago, Canary73 said:

No problem with them its the Royals that need slinging out and put their vacated buildings to use by housing refugees. 

No, there are very few refugees that require housing. What you’re talking about are economic migrants who’ve entered the country illegally.  Do you really think they should be rewarded for their bare-faced criminality by being given free accommodation in a palace?

15 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

No, there are very few refugees that require housing. What you’re talking about are economic migrants who’ve entered the country illegally.  Do you really think they should be rewarded for their bare-faced criminality by being given free accommodation in a palace?

A textbook response, right out of the Gammon playbook.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

A textbook response, right out of the Gammon playbook.

So you and Herman consider them all to be above board, totally honest and thoroughly deserving cases do you?  Oh, and nice use of the abusive term ‘Gammon’.  Very original.

4 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

So you and Herman consider them all to be above board, totally honest and thoroughly deserving cases do you?  Oh, and nice use of the abusive term ‘Gammon’.  Very original.

You’re not crying about being abused again are you? Have you got the thinnest skin on this message board? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

I recommend David Blunkett's interview on the Rest is Politics. He had a lot of very useful stuff to say, including alluding to the way that the denial of reality regarding undocumented migration has been feeding the far right in Europe.

Then again, he could be an RWNJ...

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

20 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I recommend David Blunkett's interview on the Rest is Politics. He had a lot of very useful stuff to say, including alluding to the way that the denial of reality regarding undocumented migration has been feeding the far right in Europe.

Then again, he could be an RWNJ...

Don't worry I'm such being insulted, laughed at and called gammons and other silly nicknames rather than simply try and engage and debate with them like a normal human being will simply cause people to stop, think and change their views at once....

• Like 1

I heard the RNLI refused to send a boat out. 

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Perhaps he fell in

• Haha 1

On 13/06/2024 at 07:55, dylanisabaddog said:

Perhaps he fell in

I decided to stop posting because it got to the point that I felt followed around and there is no freedom in posting what you would like to, knowing that there's someone getting angry lurking.

If he is not posting anymore then it might encourage me. I also felt at the time that by not positing he might be happier (less angry) and that seemed a good thing for me as a compensation.

I never understand real anger on a forum.... It's people just picking on someone to express their anger with the world. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 14/06/2024 at 09:49, sonyc said:

I decided to stop posting because it got to the point that I felt followed around and there is no freedom in posting what you would like to, knowing that there's someone getting angry lurking.

If he is not posting anymore then it might encourage me. I also felt at the time that by not positing he might be happier (less angry) and that seemed a good thing for me as a compensation.

I never understand real anger on a forum.... It's people just picking on someone to express their anger with the world. 

I'm glad you've posted again sonyc, I was only thinking this today, that you hadn't posted for a while. 
I, for one, miss your posting, it is always measured, intelligent and delivered with respect and without any needle at all. I cannot remember one instance of you ever approaching an insult, disagree, yes, but never more.

As for Rock The Boat, my feeling he is banned, or has skulked off, but regardless of that, I think his presence on here discouraging you from posting is a great shame, but I do know what you mean, when another poster is constantly there, replying to posts, and is sometimes not very nice about it as well. I am not worried personally if it happens to me, I will carry on posting if I feel I have something to say.

Returning to Rock The Boat, myself and @horsefly both remember all too well what a deeply unpleasant individual he is, he has on more than one occasion revealed that his views are very much at odds with accepted wisdom, bordering on extreme.

If you think he's gone, which I do,  please come back and post sonyc, you add value to the discourse, and raise many and varied great topics and conversations.

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I'm glad you've posted again sonyc, I was only thinking this today, that you hadn't posted for a while. 
I, for one, miss your posting, it is always measured, intelligent and delivered with respect and without any needle at all. I cannot remember one instance of you ever approaching an insult, disagree, yes, but never more.

As for Rock The Boat, my feeling he is banned, or has skulked off, but regardless of that, I think his presence on here discouraging you from posting is a great shame, but I do know what you mean, when another poster is constantly there, replying to posts, and is sometimes not very nice about it as well. I am not worried personally if it happens to me, I will carry on posting if I feel I have something to say.

Returning to Rock The Boat, myself and @horsefly both remember all too well what a deeply unpleasant individual he is, he has on more than one occasion revealed that his views are very much at odds with accepted wisdom, bordering on extreme.

If you think he's gone, which I do,  please come back and post sonyc, you add value to the discourse, and raise many avaried great topics and conversations.

Absolutely! Sonyc adds genuine depth and wisdom to this site. He also manages to make his points more politely than I manage, and can be relied upon to raise the tone and quality of debate. Well said Daz!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, sonyc said:

Hey,

Welcome back, even if it's only in passing.

This place is better than it was, toxic individuals are either gone or largely behaving.  It's not exactly a representative debate on here but it's more a debate than it ever was and you'll be welcome if you rejoined it 

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

If you think he's gone, which I do,  please come back and post sonyc, you add value to the discourse, and raise many avaried great topics and conversations.

Blimey Daz, that is very kind indeed. Thank you! I sometimes wish I could be more like you in response to posts that are insulting. You will often say something in a way I wish I could. Often with your trademark humour too. That is some skill to have.

Mrs S would say to me "you've been stalked when you think about it" (I hadn't but on reflection perhaps she is right?). Yet, I've not been unduly bothered if so. Though, she is right in that it did make a decision for me to stop posting. Avoidance is a tactic that works but arguably only in certain situations, not as a panacea.

I'm serious in saying that my initial reaction was surprise as if I didn't deserve your comments (and @horsefly and @Barbe bleu) ...yet in my latter years one thing I have learned is to be graceful in accepting compliments, because they are earnestly, honestly, thoughtfully given. 

I used to reject any compliments outright and reflect now with embarrassment how ungrateful and cold it was to do so. I used to prefer giving rather than receiving until I realised a gift received so well by another person made my day...I suppose that's a bit like the concept of 'inverted snobbery', or nowadays 'humble bragging' (which I see on TV and other media quite a bit) when it feels honourable to do something but actually it is selfish and false.

I'm a happier reader than a poster overall. I think so anyway. In trying to make posts I end up too often going 'long'!

i like 99.5% of comments I reckon. I believe I've said before, even by those I disagree with. The vast majority I can find something to think about and if anything, whatever makes me more uncertain about the world is a massive bonus. Too often, as we get older, we depend more on our life experience, experience which is often limited. No matter whether we think we know more or not. We never can.

In 20 years I've learned so much from other posters on this forum. The range of knowledge is genuinely amazing..What's not to like? And to find a whole community that thinks and encounters the world much the same as me is affirming too. You feel far less alone.

I'm sure about one thing - the intellect here far surpasses my own. I realise I am far more limited in my education than I thought. That's what I mean by learning.  Many posters amaze me both in their depth but also in the breadth of their knowledge and many in their sheer articulacy. I could name very many. Astonishing for a football forum because it means it's a microcosm of society. I know no other place like it. It's the best in the UK. We have such a wide spectrum here. Surely, that is a fantastic thing.

Then there's the humour! It dissolves a lot of anger. Seneca would say that the great antidote or remedy to anger is delay. He is right too. Of course - he would be. These things have been thought about hundreds of years before us! Maybe when posters are angered they might take a pause. I reckon it's a powerful thing to do.

I'm actually happy if RTB posts but don't agree with his ideas that the world is a jungle or a paradise. It's neither is it. 

It is a struggle to find contentment when world events are often absurd or unexpected or shocking or sad or quite often, very unjust. 

Yet, whatever happens, posters...even he...can post their reactions to things here and have an exchange, an audience if you like. And in that exchange, there is a relationship, in fact, there is care too (doesn't the derivation of that word come from 'curiosity'?). That is what this forum does. It facilitates.

After reading a while the personalities shine through. And I love it. It doesn't matter one bit in the end about Labour or the Conservatives as it's all a bit irrelevant in relation to the matter of our own mortality. That approaches some faster than others. We owe it to ourselves just to try and enjoy what we can, while we can. And that means being as respectful as we can, whenever we can. That's my take in posting anyway. If folk still wish to get angry then that's for them. It's a waste of time for me. It changes nothing but your own physiology.

Thank you so much for the kindness you've offered. It is accepted very happily. Maybe I'm not the "far too kind" sort of 'lefty' after all. Who knows, maybe there are lots about.

Thank you for all the likes too of your post. I'm very humbled indeed.

Edited by sonyc
# my longest post yet😄
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

Absolutely! Sonyc adds genuine depth and wisdom to this site. He also manages to make his points more politely than I manage, and can be relied upon to raise the tone and quality of debate. Well said Daz!

Just keep on being your spiky best H.

• Thanks 1

Welcome back SC.

For what its worth and as per the title I think you'd make an excellent King SonyC the First if the Windsors want to pass the baton (and I'm not a monarchist but we are where we are).

Always trying to calm troubled waters.

• Haha 1