Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

Marcus Stewart-Motor Neurone Disease

Horrible news. Scary how quickly it can take hold too, as highlighted by the media coverage of Rob Burrows. 

Is there a connection with sport? Seems to be on the rise.... 

Terrific footballer by the way, envied the fact he played for Ipswich. 

• Like 1

Doesn't matter what clubs he played for when a condition like that arises. Here's hoping he's able to enjoy life to the last and that suffering is minimised as far as is possible.

53 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Horrible news. Scary how quickly it can take hold too, as highlighted by the media coverage of Rob Burrows. 

Is there a connection with sport? Seems to be on the rise.... 

Terrific footballer by the way, envied the fact he played for Ipswich. 

I don’t know if it is sports related, it could just be that sportsmen are now making the disease public to raise awareness.

According to this article though there is a link between strenuous exercise and MND but only in people who are genetically at risk.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/frequent-strenuous-exercise-increases-chance-developing-mnd-genetically-risk-individuals

• Like 1

I had relatively little knowledge of this disease until seeing some of the high profile cases on TV recently showing how quickly it can take hold and how awful it is. Football aside for matters like this. Poor guy. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I don’t know if it is sports related, it could just be that sportsmen are now making the disease public to raise awareness.

According to this article though there is a link between strenuous exercise and MND but only in people who are genetically at risk.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/frequent-strenuous-exercise-increases-chance-developing-mnd-genetically-risk-individuals

Doesn't overly surprise me there could be a risk. Sports people are pushed to the max now, no matter how you look at it, despite being told they are the utter pinnacle of health, pushing human bodies to that level for so long can't be good. A bit like pushing an engine to the max, eventually it's going to have issues long before an engine treated with a bit less strain. 

• Like 1

What a truly terrible disease it is. I've done some charity work for MND, hoping to do some more in the future

• Like 1

It is possibly the worst of the diseases, not only for the person, but their whole family and lifestyle. But to be trapped like that must be a living death.

Poor chap.

My aunt died from this, its an  horrendous thing to have so heart-breaking to see . Playing for Ipswich  or not my sympathies go out to him and his family 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is possibly the worst of the diseases, not only for the person, but their whole family and lifestyle. But to be trapped like that must be a living death.

Poor chap.

Agreed. Having followed the struggles of Fernando Ricksen and now Rob Burrow through the media, it looks terrible, a slow death where you're effectively a prisoner in your own body. 

13 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

Remember following Lenny Johnrose on Twitter through his fight,often with great humour,but was also heartbreaking at times, think he died only recently.

Yes, that was last month.