Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Queenie

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Nothing sums up the decline of this country more than the disruption to travel by the creaking infrastructure affecting Paddington Station.

Marvel at the pomp and ceremony but pretty soon we'll be back to usual failures bought about by years of papering over the cracks and blaming someone else.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-09-19/travel-chaos-for-mourners-as-rail-journeys-are-disrupted-at-paddington-station

Wouldn’t be surprised if someone cut the wires as a sick joke. It happened in Cardiff with the copper wiring when the league cup final was there in 2007 and a lot of people missed the kick off.

Edited by KernowCanary

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Is nothing sacred?!😂

For a split second the font reminded me of Britain First.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

For a split second the font reminded me of Britain First.

It's a very similar layout. 🤔

Garrison Sergeant Major Stokes of the Coldstream Guards has organised this funeral and its timed to the second.

Put him in charge of the Railways for starters.

4 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Thank God that’s all over, it won’t be happening overnight, but we can now finally get back to normal.

It should not have needed the complete overkill of cancelling hospital appointments, funeral services, closure of pharmacies, shops, supermarkets, disruption to transport providers alongside the nonsensical jamming of tv networks. How much will this have cost the tax payer, given the current cost of living crisis. It has shown that there has been no acknowledgement to a large part of the country that has absolutely no interest the royal family and it was wrong to say the whole nation is in mourning or paying respects where they clearly aren't. For many, this has been an inconvenienced for someone they have no connection to and in some cases have no respect for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kick it off said:

Dont massively disagree. I am an absolute die hard Republican and anti-monarchy... but if you took away the tax payer funding element and let them live off their own massive wealth then frankly I couldn't give a toss about them either way. They'd just be another rich family.

Thats the bit I'm massively bothered about. In a cost of living crisis, why on earth are we paying tens of millions, to people with hundreds of millions, to fix their palaces which arent open to the public? Let them pay their own way. (Yes tourism blah blah blah, it would still exist if they were using their massive wealth to pay their own way).

I should add, that I respected the Queen and her death was sad on a human level.

Yeah, the myth about tax-payer funding is a lie spread by avid republicans. The Crown Estate is the property of the monarch as corporation sole. Revenue from the crown estate goes to the treasury and 25% goes to funding the public functions of the monarchy; funding the monarchy costs the taxpayer nothing. In fact, the public receive hundreds of millions annually from the Crown estate. 

Take away the monarchy and all you have is more land for the two main parties to sell to friends cheap. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, Canary73 said:

It should not have needed the complete overkill of cancelling hospital appointments, funeral services, closure of pharmacies, shops, supermarkets, disruption to transport providers alongside the nonsensical jamming of tv networks. How much will this have cost the tax payer, given the current cost of living crisis. It has shown that there has been no acknowledgement to a large part of the country that has absolutely no interest the royal family and it was wrong to say the whole nation is in mourning or paying respects where they clearly aren't. For many, this has been an inconvenienced for someone they have no connection to and in some cases have no respect for. 

Never a truer word spoken about these past ten days. Just imagine the damage this is going to do to those economies.

Then there are the hospital appointments many of which in the news got cancelled, including urgent ones.

In Sweden they stopped coronations 150 years ago, they always get things right over there. Just imagine how much that has saved the taxpayer altogether. This funeral is another expense we cannot afford from the public purse.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yeah, the myth about tax-payer funding is a lie spread by avid republicans. The Crown Estate is the property of the monarch as corporation sole. Revenue from the crown estate goes to the treasury and 25% goes to funding the public functions of the monarchy; funding the monarchy costs the taxpayer nothing. In fact, the public receive hundreds of millions annually from the Crown estate. 

Take away the monarchy and all you have is more land for the two main parties to sell to friends cheap. 

Same difference - they have massive personal wealth - that 25% should also be going to the treasury. The principle stands regardless of the semantics.

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Same difference - they have massive personal wealth - that 25% should also be going to the treasury. The principle stands regardless of the semantics.

It's not the same difference. The Crown Estate never was taxpayer property; the revenue the taxpayer gets from it is a consequence of an agreement made between King George III and his government to pay off his immediate debts of the day in exchange for the revenue from the Crown Estate minus an annual income. This has been a profitable deal for the taxpayer. 

It was boring!.. “… and now let’s go live see what’s happening in the queue and get some interviews with the public!”.

Edited by KernowCanary

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Superb coverage over 10 days and hopefully tomorrow. All those **** talking. For another time people.

Completely OTT and somewhat counter-productive as far as the Establishment is concerned IMO but each to his own I guess.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Completely OTT and somewhat counter-productive as far as the Establishment is concerned IMO but each to his own I guess.

It has felt very odd in some ways. Almost that a significant part of the nation wants to belong or be part of something bigger. A kind of mass hysteria - a kind of event that people don't want to miss out on. It is for some (watching the news) about T shirts and holding a mobile phone up. It also feels too like a distraction, a narrative that glosses over some very important problems. I mean the ceremonies have been beautiful and we do ceremony very well. I believe also that the tributes people have provided have been sincere and honest.

By the way I've always been a supporter of the kind of Queen she has been. She had a calmness, a dignity, a presence. I like Charles too. Yet, I'm not in love with the monarchy by any means. 

Yet, I've felt a disquiet shall we say. There is a pantomime aspect to it whilst real problems exist elsewhere. I also wonder what the hell is going on in the government. The stories I'm reading are worrying. About our democracy. And yet somehow, watching the mourning this week, it feels like all is okay in the world, in UK plc.

The focus has been so singular. To the point that it unnerves. So much talk of our history, our heritage. Yet our country is so weakened, by Brexit, by this government who are about to deregulate everything they can, to increase inequality, to tarnish our reputation, to destroy workers rights...and so on CM.

Talking with relatives today we were wondering if Truss was on some kind of spectrum.

Further, I am someone who grieves very quietly I believe. It's a personal thing for me. So I wouldn't wish to display my emotion by attending a public event. Just as charity begins at home (if I give...and I might well do...it remains private). 

I've wondered whether maybe we've needed a kind of way to find some unity in our fractured society? And that in the midst of this mourning process some people can find some feelgood relationship with another person, someone who we believe shares similar values to us?

Anyway, it's the juxtaposition of it all. OTT is an expression for it I would tend to agree but it's because I have a (quiet) admiration for the queen but  a deep suspicion of this government. And that's why I've felt a jarring in my emotional response to all of this week. I read posters who express their love, their own devotional words. But I worry too they've been bought off somehow, distracted - and something even bigger is happening - which is akin to an evisceration of our national culture. Our democracy. Whereas in a way, the Queen has arguably supported a form of democracy. She has provided a constancy, a marker.

Maybe we will witness in the next few years even bigger political and social changes like we did when Queen Victoria died.

I do worry. Apologies for my late night ramblings. I've just been letting the last week sink in and trying to make a sonyc kind of sense of it.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It has felt very odd in some ways. Almost that a significant part of the nation wants to belong or be part of something bigger. A kind of mass hysteria - a kind of event that people don't want to miss out on. It is for some (watching the news) about T shirts and holding a mobile phone up. It also feels too like a distraction, a narrative that glosses over some very important problems. I mean the ceremonies have been beautiful and we do ceremony very well. I believe also that the tributes people have provided have been sincere and honest.

By the way I've always been a supporter of the kind of Queen she has been. She had a calmness, a dignity, a presence. I like Charles too. Yet, I'm not in love with the monarchy by any means. 

Yet, I've felt a disquiet shall we say. There is a pantomime aspect to it whilst real problems exist elsewhere. I also wonder what the hell is going on in the government. The stories I'm reading are worrying. About our democracy. And yet somehow, watching the mourning this week, it feels like all is okay in the world, in UK plc.

The focus has been so singular. To the point that it unnerves. So much talk of our history, our heritage. Yet our country is so weakened, by Brexit, by this government who are about to deregulate everything they can, to increase inequality, to tarnish our reputation, to destroy workers rights...and so on CM.

Talking with relatives today we were wondering if Truss was on some kind of spectrum.

Further, I am someone who grieves very quietly I believe. It's a personal thing for me. So I wouldn't wish to display my emotion by attending a public event. Just as charity begins at home (if I give...and I might well do...it remains private). 

I've wondered whether maybe we've needed a kind of way to find some unity in our fractured society? And that in the midst of this mourning process some people can find some feelgood relationship with another person, someone who we believe shares similar values to us?

Anyway, it's the juxtaposition of it all. OTT is an expression for it I would tend to agree but it's because I have a (quiet) admiration for the queen but  a deep suspicion of this government. And that's why I've felt a jarring in my emotional response to all of this week. I read posters who express their love, their own devotional words. But I worry too they've been bought off somehow, distracted - and something even bigger is happening - which is akin to an evisceration of our national culture. Our democracy. Whereas in a way, the Queen has arguably supported a form of democracy. She has provided a constancy, a marker.

Maybe we will witness in the next few years even bigger political and social changes like we did when Queen Victoria died.

I do worry. Apologies for my late night ramblings. I've just been letting the last week sink in and trying to make a sonyc kind of sense of it.

Can agree with a lot of that SC although today is not probably the day to analyse it. Suffice to say checking my emails c. 11am and social media my friends in Japan and even in China were watching it!

FYI it crossed my mind later that although it was a wonderful spectacle we are in fact watching the embers of empire play out .. a turning of the page .. which will now let Britain put a line under our imperial past and move on to 21st century realities without the links to 1940s and 50s.  Most of the tradition is of course reimagined victorian trappings.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

Hopefully we won’t have to hear yobbish terrace renditions of the “national” anthem any more every time England play.

I don’t think they’ll be up for singing God Save the King.

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Can agree with a lot of that SC although today is not probably the day to analyse it. Suffice to say checking my emails c. 11am and social media my friends in Japan and even in China were watching it!

FYI it crossed my mind later that although it was a wonderful spectacle we are in fact watching the embers of empire play out .. a turning of the page .. which will now let Britain put a line under our imperial past and move on to 21st century realities without the links to 1940s and 50s.  Most of the tradition is of course reimagined victorian trappings.

I think the embers of Empire  burnt out quite a long time ago..but yes, at the start of the Queens reign...even before then, in her 1947 speech when she dedicated her life to the service to country she spoke of  "the Imperial family" there were still many nations  to break the shackles of British imperialism. But in her 70 year reign she has been the Monarch to see a massive change. Back in 1952 this nation was hugely white and home grown but look at how multi cultural Britain is today, and lots of ethnic peoples coming to live here from the very  nations Britain once ruled.

Yes, we all know things like slavery etc happened in those Imperialistic times and yes, this nation ended with the biggest slice of nation ruled territories, but let us not forget that from 2, 3, 400 years ago up until the first part of the 20th century it was a European thing, not just British. The Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and French had their colonies to and were far from  sqeaky clean to. The Italians and Germans also had colonies in Africa in early 20th Century to.

If the very first smoulderings of Empire started around the time of the first Elizabethan era, then yes YF, if any such embers remain, i agree with you, let them be  extinguished totally with the passing of the 2nd Elizabethan era.

For the whole of this week we are going to see the word “Pomp” rolled out all the time, as if every single one of us in the country love that sort of snobby sh*t.

The current front page of the BBC News website couldn’t be even more nauseating if it tried. 

Edited by KernowCanary

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

For the whole of this week we are going to see the word “Pomp” rolled out all the time, as if every single one of us in the country love that sort of snobby sh*t.

The current front page of the BBC News website couldn’t be even more nauseating if it tried. 

And what exactly on the BBC News website do you consider to be nauseating?  I thought the BBC did a tremendous job yesterday and I can’t see anything on their website that’s not in keeping with that.

8 hours ago, Essjayess said:

I think the embers of Empire  burnt out quite a long time ago..but yes, at the start of the Queens reign...even before then, in her 1947 speech when she dedicated her life to the service to country she spoke of  "the Imperial family" there were still many nations  to break the shackles of British imperialism. But in her 70 year reign she has been the Monarch to see a massive change. Back in 1952 this nation was hugely white and home grown but look at how multi cultural Britain is today, and lots of ethnic peoples coming to live here from the very  nations Britain once ruled.

Yes, we all know things like slavery etc happened in those Imperialistic times and yes, this nation ended with the biggest slice of nation ruled territories, but let us not forget that from 2, 3, 400 years ago up until the first part of the 20th century it was a European thing, not just British. The Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and French had their colonies to and were far from  sqeaky clean to. The Italians and Germans also had colonies in Africa in early 20th Century to.

If the very first smoulderings of Empire started around the time of the first Elizabethan era, then yes YF, if any such embers remain, i agree with you, let them be  extinguished totally with the passing of the 2nd Elizabethan era.

I agree there was been massive change - but at the same time the continuous harking back with rose tinted nostalgia to the days of Empire - of which the whole of yesterday was part (or tried to look part of) - bolsters those that wish to believe in British 'exceptionalism' as opposed to today's realities and challenges.

The Queen was, as we all are, simply a product of her/our upbringing and anchored in the 70 decade ago past, and as such allowed others to remain equally 'fixed'. The new King I'm sure can see this and will sweep away much of this outdated 'look' however 'cosy' and allow the UK to move on.  

Im sure this wasnt the desired outcome from the establishment, but my views on the monarchy pre the Queen's death were apathetic - I was never into them but by the same token didn't care that they were there either - over the past 10 days my views have changed completely.

Get rid of it.

I'm fed up with being told how we're all grieving as 90% of the people I know aren't grieving at all.

The ceremony and pomp was out of date and unpleasant when faced with horrendous economic uncertainty.

The bias was extraordinary. No mention of paedophile Andrew being bailed out by ma'am, or ma'am hiding her money in Panama, or King Charles taking money from the Bin Ladens, or dodgy bags of cash from Qataris. No mention of her children's failed marriages, her husbands affairs. Just one 10 day long script of how great she was and how great Charles will now be. The BBC is supposed to be impartial I thought? 

The lying in state 'queue' was completely contrived. Why not have QR codes and alloted time slots? It's almost like they wanted a big queue to show how devoted everyone is. That was setup 100%. It wouldn't have had the same impact 30 people beeping in and then disappearing 10 minutes later before the next 30 arrive would it?

Get rid.

38 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I'm fed up with being told how we're all grieving as 90% of the people I know aren't grieving at all.

Agree with this - most people can see the sad side, maybe even a small tear seeing the coffin but grieving. No.

I'm no royalist but I will come to Andrew's defence simply as a matter of natural justice.. He's never been charged, far less proven guilty, of the offences you claim. There was not enough evidence. The civil US case was simply about money, not justice, as anybody who has ever litigated in such will affirm. The settlement was simply the simplest most cost effective way to make the issue go away. 

47 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Im sure this wasnt the desired outcome from the establishment, but my views on the monarchy pre the Queen's death were apathetic - I was never into them but by the same token didn't care that they were there either - over the past 10 days my views have changed completely.

Get rid of it.

The ceremony and pomp was out of date and unpleasant when faced with horrendous economic uncertainty.

The bias was extraordinary. No mention of paedophile Andrew being bailed out by ma'am, or ma'am hiding her money in Panama, or King Charles taking money from the Bin Ladens, or dodgy bags of cash from Qataris. No mention of her children's failed marriages, her husbands affairs. Just one 10 day long script of how great she was and how great Charles will now be. The BBC is supposed to be impartial I thought? 

The lying in state 'queue' was completely contrived. Why not have QR codes and alloted time slots? It's almost like they wanted a big queue to show how devoted everyone is. That was setup 100%. It wouldn't have had the same impact 30 people beeping in and then disappearing 10 minutes later before the next 30 arrive would it?

Get rid.

Sorry buddy,you're in the minority

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sorry buddy,you're in the minority

I know. Although we are just after the biggest PR campaign the media have ever put on promoting the monarchy. If that poll is ran again (and worded differently) in 18 months time, I'm pretty sure it'd look vastly different.

On 19/09/2022 at 18:20, Canary73 said:

Boo hoo.

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

If that poll is ran again (and worded differently) in 18 months time, I'm pretty sure it'd look vastly different.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't