Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Queenie

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What's wrong with 'God save the King'?

It's ****?

(Not a fan of some of the other options generally suggested like Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Personally, I'd make a slightly revised version of the lyrics to Men of Harlech and have that as the anthem).

Edited by TheGunnShow

Deeply saddened to learn of this news. Her Majesty has not really got over the loss of her beloved husband. So the curtain draws closed on the second Elizabethan period, a time of enormous social and economic change. God bless the Queen.

What an unbelievable life she has had, the times she has seen good and bad. If it is ending now, I hope people will put aside their prejudices and at least show some respect or at least keep quiet if they can't do that.

If you have nothing good to say, best not say anything. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If you have nothing good to say, best not say anything. 

Yes, agreed, now is not the time. 

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe she has died. There are reports of MPs and staff being asked to wear black.

Sad day. A real end of an (Elizabethan) era.

Edited by sonyc

13 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Black armbands, minute’s silence fine… but do they really have to cancel the game?

I'm pretty sure everything will be cancelled maybe even the weekend. 

I am a Republican but I was born when we had a King but remember nothing about him. She has been part of our lives for so long, despite my reticence about her role and privilege, I would miss her and feel quite sad.

My Son is in the Coldstream Guards and he is dreading it. He says he will be so busy he probably won't be able to go home until after the funeral.

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I believe she has died. There are reports of MPs and staff being asked to wear black.

Sad day. A real end of an (Elizabethan) era.

I think you are correct Sonyc. With crowds gathering at Buckingham Palace in the days of social media you would think the Palace would be making another announcement, in this case I fear no news is bad news. 
All news readers now seem to be preparing the Country for their next announcement.

5 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Yes, agreed, now is not the time. 

Me too. A bit of restraint please friends. 

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Within the last year this woman paid lawyers to challenge the rights of sex abuse victims in a USA Court purely to protect her disgusting son.  I have no respect for her whatsoever 

That is a fair comment. That of course just bolsters the Republic argument. 

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

I think you are correct Sonyc. With crowds gathering at Buckingham Palace in the days of social media you would think the Palace would be making another announcement, in this case I fear no news is bad news. 
All news readers now seem to be preparing the Country for their next announcement.

Absolutely, it is very telling that no matter what news channel you put on (BBC, itv, sky) they are all in black. Not one of them wearing anything different. 

Just now, Herman said:

Me too. A bit of restraint please friends. 

That's all well and good Herman but posters are demanding that we show respect. Please don't tell me who I should respect and who I shouldn't. I'd be quite happy to leave you to your grief but I will not be ordered to join you. 

47 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Apparently already gone. they're waiting for the rest of the family to reach Balmoral before announcing it. 

I've heard from a pal that works at The Scum, and another who's a pa for a Baroness.  

Just read all that and would not surprise me one bit. 

10 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Regardless of the accusations against her son, I have no respect for you whatsoever.  Kindly go away.

Read it again. I'm not interested in what he did.  I'm concerned that our Monarch paid to challenge the rights of sex abuse victims in the court of our greatest ally in order to protect her disgusting son. 

If you support that you should hang your head in shame. What would you say if Joe Biden did it here? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

If the Queen does die at Balmoral protocol says that she will be moved to Holyrood house and the funeral will be at St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, she will then be transported by royal train for the burial.

All due respect to that but surely she would be buried next to Philip?

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Read it again. I'm not interested in what he did. I'm interested in Andrew. I'm concerned that our Monarch paid to challenge the rights of sex abuse victims in the court of our greatest ally. If you support that you should hang your head in shame. What would you say if Joe Biden did it here? 

Just shut up.

Edited by lake district canary

Just now, lake district canary said:

Just shut up.

No. You, like all the others, are trying to restrict free thought and free speech. I suggest that you move to Russia or China where you would feel at home 

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Read it again. I'm not interested in what he did.  I'm concerned that our Monarch paid to challenge the rights of sex abuse victims in the court of our greatest ally in order to protect her disgusting son. 

If you support that you should hang your head in shame. What would you say if Joe Biden did it here? 

Well I'm not a Republican by any stretch of the imagination but I do agree with you here 100%! She should have told the spoilt brat that............'you're on your own son' 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That's all well and good Herman but posters are demanding that we show respect. Please don't tell me who I should respect and who I shouldn't. I'd be quite happy to leave you to your grief but I will not be ordered to join you. 

Surely you could start a different thread so that people wishing to show respect won’t have to read your comments.

With respect no one is ordering you to do anything, they are just suggesting there is a time and place and now wouldn’t be the time to hammer a woman, whilst we all assume she is on her deathbed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No. You, like all the others, are trying to restrict free thought and free speech. I suggest that you move to Russia or China where you would feel at home 

No. It's just about showing some self restraint, which you appear to lack.

• Haha 1

I always find it bemusing when people say "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything" at a funeral. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's lying about the dead and is completely disrespectful as a result.

Chris Eubank wrote in his autobiography that it turned out his father had been physically abusive, and got into a brawl at said father's funeral as he pointed this out to the mourners who were offended that he'd mention it at that point in time.

Actually, he had a hell of a point. What better time to pass review?

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

No. It's just about showing some self restraint, which you appear to lack.

Rubbish. I had my views but I kept them to myself. But then a bunch of Royalists started to post telling me how to behave. Don't tell me how I should think. 

Thankfully  the majority of people still retain a sense of respect regardless of political preference.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Rubbish. I had my views but I kept them to myself. But then a bunch of Royalists started to post telling me how to behave. Don't tell me how I should think. 

You can think what you like, but as many have said, you are showing nothing other than beligerence in a thread about someone who is probably dying or already gone. If that's your bag, you carry on, it's your perogative, but to most reasonable people it looks at the least, out of place.

• Like 1

The body language and the more somber talking is certainly becoming more noticeable from presenters who were upbeat not long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spencer 1970 said:

Update: announcement at 6pm today. She's dead.

Nothing on the BEEB yet. Then again, @spencer 1970 said they were apparently waiting for the rest of the family to arrive.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thankfully  the majority of people still retain a sense of respect regardless of political preference.

Indeed 👍

Just now, ricardo said:

There's nothing political about a lot of the comments I've seen in here. She shielded her pedophile sex pest son therefore respect is foregone in the eyes of sane people.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

The body language and the more somber talking is certainly becoming more noticeable from presenters who were upbeat not long ago.

There's been a couple of slips too, talking about her in the past tense etc.