Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

OTT Potter

What do Chelsea want though-no, not want, expect from their coach?

Owners, board, staff, players and fans-and sponsors.

Seems to be a team that wins matches, regularly, and by playing an exciting, free flowing and much praised, by outsiders, style of football.

CL qualification every season a given, quarter final stages of same as a bare minimum-again, every season.

And a trophy every season on top of that.

A squad of young players, many of whom come through their system and either make it as first team regulars a'la Mount or do well enough to be sold for big money elsewhere.

All at a happy and united Cobham.

Asking a lot but that seems to be what they expect!

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Potter is a fool imo. He may be now a rich fool, but a fool nevertheless. Gets a club to a stage where they are starting to produce superb winning football at the top level - and promptly leaves for a toxic club. Stupid is as stupid does. Chelsea are a toxic club, no doubt.....yes, he may get them playing well, he may not, but if he doesn't, he will be sacked at the drop of a hat, as Tuchel has been. Tuchel - rich in ambition ability and experience, totally let down by his players - the same players Potter will have to work with.  Daft....innit? Or is the chance to manage Chelsea that big a draw really?  Or is it just the money? He had something really good going at Brighton - and been seduced away.  History will show whether he has done the right thing, but managers jumping ship mis deason does not reflect well on the game...

Really? A fool? He wants to prove himself at a higher level and you call him a fool? Ffs, you really are a fool to say that.

He wants to win things and get the ultimate job, of managing England. I’d hardly call that the doings of a fool! 

what an idiotic post as usual from you 🙈

I see people are calling LDC names again! I see things both ways; LDC makes extremely valid points. Others don't agree, citing the obvious - namely Potter 'proving himself at a higher level', 'short career', 'making more £' etc. - as if that's all that matters. Thing is, whatever any of us choose to do in life depends on what we believe & value. To assume anyone believes the same as us, or automatically values the exact same things as us is folly. We're all different - and that's why we each make different decisions.

Personally, I think Chelsea FC has a notoriously toxic work culture. If Potter had the same values as me, he'd steer well clear because he'd value peace-of-mind more than £. Potter has made a choice based on his personal level of emotional comfort. Good for him - he's having a go & will be well-paid. Maybe it'll work out for him, however my gut feeling is Chelsea are unlikely to achieve Champions League status this season...

8 hours ago, YellowCanary said:

Won’t mind betting he’s blew his England prospects,but he’s probably dodged a bullet there anyway 

I think England might actually go all the way in this Qatar World Cup under the much-maligned Southgate, or very close. I've often thought that the summer tournaments seem to disproportionately affect English players after a long season compared to lots of the other nations. They'll be hitting their stride vis-à-vis fitness/peak condition when this competition comes around & the experiences in recent tournaments should stand them in good stead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

I think England might actually go all the way in this Qatar World Cup under the much-maligned Southgate, or very close. I've often thought that the summer tournaments seem to disproportionately affect English players after a long season compared to lots of the other nations. They'll be hitting their stride vis-à-vis fitness/peak condition when this competition comes around & the experiences in recent tournaments should stand them in good stead. 

Would love to see it but my gut tells me we will go out in first knock out stage after a bit of a grind in the group and a style of football set to bore the pants off us. 

15 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

I see people are calling LDC names again! I see things both ways; LDC makes extremely valid points. Others don't agree, citing the obvious - namely Potter 'proving himself at a higher level', 'short career', 'making more £' etc. - as if that's all that matters. Thing is, whatever any of us choose to do in life depends on what we believe & value. To assume anyone believes the same as us, or automatically values the exact same things as us is folly. We're all different - and that's why we each make different decisions.

Personally, I think Chelsea FC has a notoriously toxic work culture. If Potter had the same values as me, he'd steer well clear because he'd value peace-of-mind more than £. Potter has made a choice based on his personal level of emotional comfort. Good for him - he's having a go & will be well-paid. Maybe it'll work out for him, however my gut feeling is Chelsea are unlikely to achieve Champions League status this season...

A great and well expressed post Mustard.

Afraid this is a post written by someone who has no idea about the professional game and overlaying a quaint simplistic view . 

The idea that a professional football manager currently managing Brighton would turn down the chance to manage in the champions league with the resources that Chelsea have is , of course , ludicrous.

To describe him as a fool says far more about the accuser than the accused. 

• Like 1

I don't think club management success is particularly relevant when it comes to appointing an Englishman into the role. A proven track record seems more important for a foreign coach.

Of the top of my head we're probably looking at Potter, Gerrard, Lampard and Howe as an immediate shortlist. Potter just about edges that at the moment, the drawback being it would cost the  FA more to prise him from Chelsea.

Surely Brighton have to appoint Russell Martin now - he's at Swansea so will follow Potter's route, he's got a business in Brighton already, his veganism will fit in well with the local population. It's written in the stars!

EDIT: And lo, mere minutes after I posted the above and the lead story on Pink'Un page confirms Brighton are seriously interested. Me, my tongue was firmly in my cheek! It's a strange world.

He couldn't, could he?

Edited by shefcanary

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Surely Brighton have to appoint Russell Martin now - he's at Swansea so will follow Potter's route, he's got a business in Brighton already, his veganism will fit in well with the local population. It's written in the stars!

EDIT: And lo, mere minutes after I posted the above and the lead story on Pink'Un page confirms Brighton are seriously interested. Me, my tongue was firmly in my cheek! It's a strange world.

He couldn't, could he?

Swansea haven’t exactly torn up the Championship since he’s been in charge. If I was a Brighton fan I’d be very disappointed with trading Potter for Russ. I have no idea whether his brand of football could translate to Brighton though who have a better squad. Wasn’t Martin’s game all about passing / attacking football like Farke’s?? 

Just to clarify, did LDC mean OT (Off topic) rather than OTT (Over the top)?

Or is there another manager called Otto Potter, so it's a typo?