Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Asthma and Liverpool

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Odd. I never do well on any form of caffeine shot at all. Tried liquid ones, Revvie strips, caffeinated gels, and no matter how, I always end up with stitch that I don't usually get. That said, I took a pack of Revvies in for my vets team, a couple of the lads went out and played on them and really rated them. Me, I did a parkrun with one and a 5K road race the day after without on courses of fairly similar difficulty, and did the road race over a minute faster.

Energy gels that aren't caffeinated work best with me. @jaberry2 mentioned Dextro tabs, they're excellent value for money and a decent boost.

Very much personal taste and how your body absorbs things. I used to use ZipVit, they were like rocket fuel and easy on the gut. Difficult to find now.

I haven't found the need to dash behind a tree yet but I do sometimes get stomach cramps with the brands I use now. In fact I don't use them much at all nowadays, prefer solid carbs.

Will look into Revvies and Dextro though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Very much personal taste and how your body absorbs things. I used to use ZipVit, they were like rocket fuel and easy on the gut. Difficult to find now.

I haven't found the need to dash behind a tree yet but I do sometimes get stomach cramps with the brands I use now. In fact I don't use them much at all nowadays, prefer solid carbs.

Will look into Revvies and Dextro though.

Revvies are great in theory - they're just a very thin caffeine strip that dissolves on the tongue so in terms of carrying stuff around with you they're very much a winner there.

At the moment my fuel of choice in races is a lemon/lime VOOM bar. Four blocks in a bar, break one off and let it dissolve in my saliva, only chew when it's almost fully done. That gets me round a half-marathon.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Odd. I never do well on any form of caffeine shot at all. Tried liquid ones, Revvie strips, caffeinated gels, and no matter how, I always end up with stitch that I don't usually get. That said, I took a pack of Revvies in for my vets team, a couple of the lads went out and played on them and really rated them. Me, I did a parkrun with one and a 5K road race the day after without on courses of fairly similar difficulty, and did the road race over a minute faster.

Energy gels that aren't caffeinated work best with me. @jaberry2 mentioned Dextro tabs, they're excellent value for money and a decent boost.

Caffeine is the quickest way to recover what the body has lost. However, there is no definitive research on how much caffeine would be needed. Or if caffeine is the best solution.

I studied one of the hardest working players in football, Rooney. He averaged 11KM of distance as an average per match. 60% of that was walking or slow jog and depending on who they were playing it was 20-20% in fast running and sprinting. So that was 90 minutes. And of course there was half time which included not only rest but some form of hydration or energy boost.

When I was running, for instance, at the age of 55-60, I could run a 10K race in 45 minutes and that was not a flat course but likely to contain two/three category climbs but with obvious downhill as well. For that, I did not need anything other than hydrating beforehand. Any water during the race was to rinse the mouth out and pour the rest on my head to cool down. For a marathon, I would take a block/gel at 30K.

(In fact, I remember running the Indian Queens Half Marathon on a Sunday morning and playing eighteen holes of golf in the afternoon.)

So I was running almost the same distance as Rooney, including a 1K warmup, in half the time. And I did not need any caffeine, glucose or glycogen. I did have porridge for breakfast which is a good slow release of carbohydrate and would probably be accompanied by a banana and some sugar.

So personally, I do not see that any gel or block (especially when a sub takes one in the 86th  minute) will benefit a footballer. Now it is obvious that they are advised to take them by people far more qualified than me. But just from experience,  I do not see the benefit. And in fact, there is a possibility that they could affect the liver.

But if they believe that they are helping performance then why not use them? Determination, aggression and pride should be enough. A top runner leaves everything in the race and is totally spent afterwards. But I do not see footballers completely shattered walking off the pitch.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not so sure. Research it in detail, particularly what happened at Dortmund. Both teams have followed the same performance patterns. 

The interview with Salah and Henderson is interesting, as is the fact that Salah improved dramatically when he joined Liverpool. 

Liverpool's performance dropped off 2 seasons ago before them coming back to get 90+ points, win 2 domestic cups and reach the CL final. Not sure where this fits in with the idea that the players bodies can only take so much. Salah had 2 really good years at Roma before joining Liverpool at the age of 25, just as he was coming into his prime years, and where he was also more of a focal point up front compared to his previous club.

9 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/liverpool-and-asthma-inhalers-is-there-any-substance-to-the-innuendo

The Internet has for some time been awash with rumours about Liverpool'use of caffeine and asthma drugs.  The caffeine allegations have followed Klopp from Dortmund. They finished top or near the top for a couple of years then suddenly found themselves in mid table. The suggestion is that players can only take so much before their bodies give in. 

The statistic that 22 of 35 Liverpool players have been diagnosed with asthma is extraordinary if true. It should be noted that some of GB's top cyclists were also diagnosed with asthma and needed drugs which provide as a side effect a huge boost in performance. 

There are numerous accusations on the Internet about Liverpool specifically, including an interview with Salah and Henderson who joked about "their secret".

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2022/05/26/video-jordan-henderson-and-mo-salah-nod-to-the-inhaler-rumours-as-they-joke-about-remaining-fit-all-season/

What do people think? Is this true and if so is it likely to be widespread? 

Let’s face it, everything about Liverpool is scum. That’s all that needs to be said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1