Sign in to follow this  
canarycop

Burnley team

Our away form hasn't been great this season despite our points tally. Burnley away will be tough and possibly the hardest game to date. To come away from this with a result will be important in the long run. How do we set up. I would go 4-5-1

Krul 

Aaron's Omo Hanley Byram 

Sargent Nunez McLean Sara Cantwell

Pukki

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

Dropping Ramsey, who was largely excellent for the unproven Sara doesn't feel like the best idea going into our toughest game so far this season.

I imagine we go in unchanged.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Dropping Ramsey, who was largely excellent for the unproven Sara doesn't feel like the best idea going into our toughest game so far this season.

I imagine we go in unchanged.

Yep, my thoughts exactly unless an injury / tweak or two in training crops up or clears up. Was a pretty good performance against Coventry, the first half of the second half notwithstanding, and change for change's sake is not the way to play it.

The only other exception would be fatigue, but that shouldn't be a factor at an early stage of the season, and we've not had a midweek match this week so very unlikely.

Have we actually kept an unchanged team this season despite our wins? 

The team on the pitch at the end of the game will be just as important as at the start. The fitness of Idah might be important as to whether we start with both Sargent and Pukki. 

Yes i'd be tempted to bring in Sara for some extra ballast in the midfield for this one.

I'd probably keep Ramsey in on the left instead of Todd just to give us a bit more pace, or alternatively go with Onel. 

Sara looked very much like he was in self-protection mode on Saturday, he's obviously still recuperating - I'd be very surprised if he starts over Ramsey, who was excellent.

Although Todd was decent we gave Dabo far too much space to run into down our left on Saturday so there's the conundrum over whether Onel should actually start. They have some half decent players in that area of the pitch in Brownhill/Gudmundsson who cannot be given time on the ball.

• Like 1

A lot of people excited over Ramsey's 1st half performance against Coventry. But his performance in the 1st part of the 2nd half really concerns me - when the team wasn't clicking as a whole, he was giving the ball away every time he had it, he was basically clueless !  Anyone can shine playing at home against the bottom team but Burnley away is a totally different kettle of fish. It will be the  first game against genuine promotion opposition. If we play Ramsey in a central position we could be torn a new one ! If we get forward impetus and dominate then we can go with lightweights. But against Burnley I'd have Hernandez in there as an outlet. We can win this but its going to be a battle with our likely heroes being those throwing their bodies in front of the ball.

Ramsey to start in place of McLean, but subbed by Sara as soon as he starts to tire in the 2nd half. We have 5 subs, let's use them properly.

Unchanged. 

A surprise place on the bench for Hayden who will get 10 minutes at the end of the game, turn wrongly and do more damage to the knee and be out until January/February 😉

What does it say about the depth, strength and quality of this squad to bother with promotion when a 19 yr old inexperienced lad is keeping our own players (notably Dowell, Sinani, Cantwell, Hernandez, Sara Springett and likely Rowe out of the team in Championship matches?     

As for the match, these are likely the best of the passing teams in the league.   Do we pick a team to keep the ball and frustrate Burnley who are used to having it or go defensive and let them have the possession?   Probably the later in which case we will need pace on the counter!   

What a conundrum eh? I put it out there and everyone has valid opinions. Be great if we can stay up there until next transfer window opens and then make some statements of intent. Me thinks that may well be the plan

7 hours ago, canarycop said:

Our away form hasn't been great this season despite our points tally. Burnley away will be tough and possibly the hardest game to date. To come away from this with a result will be important in the long run. How do we set up. I would go 4-5-1

Krul 

Aaron's Omo Hanley Byram 

Sargent Nunez McLean Sara Cantwell

Pukki

Thoughts ?

Gunn for Krul 

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You would hope we go unchanged

Why change a winning team nevermind a keeper who just kept a cleansheet? 

Because I dont like him and think he's gash. Plus I think Gunn's a far better keeper.

42 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Because I dont like him and think he's gash. Plus I think Gunn's a far better keeper.

Can't see it personally..............he looks nothing like Rab C Nesbitt's son? 😲

GK  Krul

LB  Byram

CB  Hanley

CB  Omobamidele 

RB  Aarons

CM  McLean

CM  Nunez

AML  Hernandez 

CAM  Cantwell

AMR  Sargent 

ST  Pukki

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Unchanged for me. The 4-2-3-1 looked great in the 1st half against Coventry while we were interested:

Krul

Aarons-Hanley-Omobamidele-Byram

McLean-Nunez

Sargent-Ramsay-Cantwell

Pukki

I think if we pick that team we will get overrun in midfield personally. Kenny and Núñez in there is not defensively solid. I’d go 4-3-3 for this one and put Sara in with them to cut down on space in the middle.

I thought Pukki is ill currently?  Only basing that from the squad photo.. of course.  But presumed they took it after deadline had passed.

11 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Where's the Burnley team ? As per the heading.

“For the first time in many seasons neither the opposition or Burnley fans know what the starting 11 will be and which specific tactic will be used”

”After last Friday there would be a few changes if I had my way. I'd go

Muric

Vitiniho THB Egan-Riley Maatsen

Brownhill Cullen

Benson Churlinov Bastien

Tella”

etc

etc

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38295230

You’re welcome!

18 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Where's the Burnley team ?

You sound like David Brent on a **** up.

Edited by Google Bot
"On a night out" :)

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

I thought Pukki is ill currently?  Only basing that from the squad photo.. of course.  But presumed they took it after deadline had passed.

The photo took place last week, so no Pukki panics.

As for my thoughts on the team, Maatsen and Vitinho get rave reviews at wing back. As such I think the wide forward positions will need to be robust and hard working, which IMO is Sargent and Hernandez. Although we shouldn't fear Burnley, we need ro respect them

Aarons Omo Hanley Byram

McLean Nunez

Sargent Ramsey Hernandez

Pukki