Just randomly came across this article and thought I would share.

I loved Ashley Ward at the time. My local club growing up was Derby County, so though I was gutted when he left, I could still kind of follow him.

I remember reading a week before teh transfer he's just had a little girl and they'd named her Darby. He said, 'If I knew it would have a bearing on my transfer I'd have called her Inter Milan!'

Think he turned into a bit of a bad lad, didnt he beat his farmer neighbour up for shooting his dog? Did he join Prison FC?

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/catching-up-with-ashley-ward

I'm sure it was him we'd see at reserve matches, and yell "Wingnut" to get a reaction.  

Probably got the better of him, and he went on a rampage.  He used to get pretty pissed off with us.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Think he turned into a bit of a bad lad, didnt he beat his farmer neighbour up for shooting his dog? Did he join Prison FC?

I would do the same. 

• Like 5

A few years ago I spoke to a girl from Manchester way who used to work for a catering/hosting company who you would hire in for parties at your own home or hired venues. Ashley Ward was a regular customer and regularly had parties with Coronation Street stars, local celebs and ex-footballers. She said his house was mega and she thought he'd made a fortune in property.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

A few years ago I spoke to a girl from Manchester way who used to work for a catering/hosting company who you would hire in for parties at your own home or hired venues. Ashley Ward was a regular customer and regularly had parties with Coronation Street stars, local celebs and ex-footballers. She said his house was mega and she thought he'd made a fortune in property.

He did.

Ashley Ward: From journeyman footballer to millionaire property developer, the former Sheffield United striker has even appeared on reality TV | The Sun

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Can tell you aren't a dog lover, because any of us dog lovers would do the same - assuming the incident is as you describe.

5 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I'm sure it was him we'd see at reserve matches, and yell "Wingnut" to get a reaction.  

Probably got the better of him, and he went on a rampage.  He used to get pretty pissed off with us.

I doubt Ashley ward played many reserve games, he was too good for reserve football. Bloke was quality.

6 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

I doubt Ashley ward played many reserve games, he was too good for reserve football. Bloke was quality.

I had to text my mate, and you're right it was Mike Sheron that people would give grief too.   He's got a better memory than me, clearly! 🙂

• Like 1

Story here. It would appear that Mr Ward's dog had attacked and killed some sheep, it was not the first time that it had attacked sheep, Mr Ward had been warned of the consequences if he failed to control his dog. I am a dog lover but you really do need to control your dog around livestock...............

https://www.macclesfield-live.co.uk/news/local-news/top-striker-quizzed-police-after-2538429

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can tell you aren't a dog lover, because any of us dog lovers would do the same - assuming the incident is as you describe.

I was at a friend's daughters 21st birthday party a few years ago,  he'd had a few by 5pm, lots of friends and neighbours in attendance. His sister in law arrived, he greeted her and said " Hi Tara, come and meet the neighbour, her husband is the fella that shot your dog".... if I'd been eating a bacon butty , I'd have dropped it. Just like when after a few drinks ,he asked a friend's mum if she took her teeth out when she was giving her husband a Bradley Johnson. 

We don't take him out that much anymore 😉😬🤐

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Story here. It would appear that Mr Ward's dog had attacked and killed some sheep, it was not the first time that it had attacked sheep, Mr Ward had been warned of the consequences if he failed to control his dog. I am a dog lover but you really do need to control your dog around livestock...............

https://www.macclesfield-live.co.uk/news/local-news/top-striker-quizzed-police-after-2538429

Fair dos. I've had several dogs and you can't be too careful when letting them off and making sure there are no sheep around. Terrible if your dog gets shot because of it - and you can't complain if the dog is caught red handed in still attacking them - but if you are the owner, it is your fault, not the dog's, nor the farmer who is trying to protect his sheep. 

Carelessness is one thing - especially if it has happened before with your dog, but mistakes do happen though. My last dog was always well behaved on a lead walking through fields with animals in, never a concern, but once freaked out and slipped her collar while we were walking through a field with alpacas in it, she was spooked by one of them coming close - mercifully managed to catch her straight away before she could get near them as she slipped on muddy ground, but that was a close call - if she'd got away from me, it would have been difficult to get her back. Lesson learned though. Since then we never go through fields with animals in them - it's the only safe thing to do - you just never know! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I was at a friend's daughters 21st birthday party a few years ago,  he'd had a few by 5pm, lots of friends and neighbours in attendance. His sister in law arrived, he greeted her and said " Hi Tara, come and meet the neighbour, her husband is the fella that shot your dog".... if I'd been eating a bacon butty , I'd have dropped it. Just like when after a few drinks ,he asked a friend's mum if she took her teeth out when she was giving her husband a Bradley Johnson. 

We don't take him out that much anymore 😉😬🤐

What on earth is a Bradley Johnson? Nothing lewd I hope. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What on earth is a Bradley Johnson? Nothing lewd I hope. 

Have a little think. What are Bradley's initials?😇

Well at least I can have my initials on my pen, wallet or briefcase etc......Whereas the late Val Doonican would have been reluctant to put his initials on his similar personal items....

I think Ashley Ward was sold at the same time as Jon Newsome when neither really wanted to leave.  Newsome went to Leeds but can’t remember where Ward went - was it Derby?

30 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

I think Ashley Ward was sold at the same time as Jon Newsome when neither really wanted to leave.  Newsome went to Leeds but can’t remember where Ward went - was it Derby?

Yes Ward went to Derby, I think that we got Newsome from Leeds and he went to Sheff Wed after leaving us.........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Yep, Newsome & Ward's sales raised £2.6m that Chase oversaw to reduce the bank overdraft at that time as quickly as possible as requested by the Bank. However it was his last throw of the Dice in his time as Chairman, if anything this action hastened the end of his reignas the fans felt it was the last straw in theor claims he put financial matters before on pitch performance. Chase survived an abandoned EGM brought to remove him by Jimmy Jones, mainly because it was realised Chase and his allies had enough shares to ensure he would successfully win the vote. Chase only survived a couple of months as he sold his shares to Watling following gentle persuasion it was for the best.

Bottom line, both players would have been happy enough to stay, but the moves allowed them effectively to return "home" - Newsome to Sheffield, Ward to Cheshire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Yep 

Not a fan of ' reality ' tv but have seen enough of that family to develop a healthy dislike for the ostentatious, loudmouth , vile , bullying 'matriarch ' that is Dawn Ward. She is some piece of work. 

Back on topic,bottom line, if you take a domestic animal into the country, you are responsible for it's behavior, personally I'd shoot the owners, the dog is just reverting to type, having had instinct suppressed for thousands of years. We are supposed to be the animal with awareness. Unfortunately the law is skewed and the dog gets it. I know it would be a real hassle and expensive to initiate but I'd advocate much much stricter rules on animal ownership, but after a few years they would start to bear fruit....and we'd see far less tragic outcomes. 

Landed my first lure* caught Bass of the season the other day , released it as is my tradition with the first, next ones for the pan though. 😇🎣

*19g 125mm Savage Gear Sandeel Pencil Natural. ...if anyone is interested. 

16 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

He was sold to Derby by Robert Chase on the instruction of Barclays Bank. They were threatening all sorts of nasty things if the club didn't clear its debt so in one way he saved us. 

Unfortunately, Chase 'forgot' to tell manager Gary Megson who was a bit surprised when his centre forward didn't turn up for training.