Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

So we ruined Billy's future for Chelsea?

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-chelsea-brighton-billy-gilmour-thomas-tuchel-9252566

...got nothing to do with Chelsea breaking all transfer spend records this season on new players then? I used to half like TT but not sure these days. Its never his fault and always someone else's right? Maybe he should swap places with the positive Klopp...he'd fit in well with the Liverpool fans...I'm sure both teams would love that. 

I believe Billy is a LOT better than most on here would give him credit for. He was in an awful side as was only a kid...but TT's words are pure fantasty. I hope he comes good with age like Kane did to prove a few on here, (and TT) wrong.

• Like 2

Interesting quote from Potter:

"Billy’s an exciting signing for us, he’s an able footballer and a great character, he has a great personality," he said.

“He’ll fit into the group and add competition in midfield. We’re really pleased to have him here. As a footballer, Billy’s very technically able. He benefits from structure and the team functioning well, which is our job."

Don't get me wrong, Gilmour was underwhelming for us but in the right midfield combo I could still see him doing well for someone. We simply never had that at all last season. It was a major f**k up by all at the club. 

Annnnnnddd there it is!! Been waiting for it, said it the other day if his career nose dives it will always be pointed out that he had a bad year here and how if he'd have stayed at Chelsea, played cup games etc. He'd be an alite player etc etc. 

The media will be loving this aswell " see we told you the move to little Norwich was a mistake " 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

"Billy’s an exciting signing for us, he’s an able footballer and a great character, he has a great personality," he said.

“He’ll fit into the group and add competition in midfield. We’re really pleased to have him here. As a footballer, Billy’s very technically able. He benefits from structure and the team functioning well, which is our job."

Don't get me wrong, Gilmour was underwhelming for us but in the right midfield combo I could still see him doing well for someone. We simply never had that at all last season. It was a major f**k up by all at the club. 

Which club? It wasn’t exactly a secret to Tuchel that Norwich at no point was likely to fit the description of “a team functioning well” in the PL, assuming he’d agree with Potter.

Tbh Tuchel hasn’t said anything wrong at all - it didn’t go as hoped for any party last season however you look at it.  They wanted to loan him again, he didn’t want that so they ‘had’ to sell.  

Potter may well be right, but it is a bit of a luxury to have players who are only able to perform in a team functioning well - you need guys who’ll roll their sleeves up and do the hard miles. Bu overall it is about getting the mix right.

• Like 2

I think the most telling thing Potter said was;

"He'll fit into the group and add competition in midfield".

He's down the pecking order in Brighton's talented midfield set. Fourth or fifth choice. I'd be surprised if he gets more than a some starts in cup games and late game sub appearances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Which club? It wasn’t exactly a secret to Tuchel that Norwich at no point was likely to fit the description of “a team functioning well” in the PL, assuming he’d agree with Potter.

Our club. The midfield recruitment and balance was a major f**k up.

He was the wrong signing for us and he was also not used correctly in my view. had we brought in a proper CDM (or even two) to play alongside him then it might possiby have been very different. I suspect that is what Potter is alluding to.

Can we ignore this insignificant talent.

I'm bored of hearing about this average football player

Tuchel like Klopp is an annoying whining prima dona. No time for him either.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Our club. The midfield recruitment and balance was a major f**k up.

He was the wrong signing for us and he was also not used correctly in my view. had we brought in a proper CDM (or even two) to play alongside him then it might possiby have been very different. I suspect that is what Potter is alluding to.

Regardless of recruitment we were a newly promoted club so if Tuchel et al expected Gilmour to get plenty of time on the ball as we dominate possession then it was pretty optimistic and naive on their part as much as ours.

A tiny bit-part role for Brighton off the bench sounds about his level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Regardless of recruitment we were a newly promoted club so if Tuchel et al expected Gilmour to get plenty of time on the ball as we dominate possession then it was pretty optimistic and naive on their part as much as ours.

A tiny bit-part role for Brighton off the bench sounds about his level.

I think both you and Jim are correct here.

From a Chelsea perspective I think if they'd thought about it he'd have been better at a Fulham, Bournemouth or even Rangers type club that played on the front foot.

From our perspective it was stupid to sign a player who any scouting would have shown needed protection from a proper DM next to him and then not address that position. Neither PLM or Normann ever looked like addressing that hole. If we weren't confident of filling the gap Skipp left, Gilmour should never have been signed.

Last season was the biggest car crash of a season I can remember at Norwich. No one comes out with any credit therefore I willing to absolve Gilmour of some blame. But yikes you would still expect better from such a highly rated player.

Regardless Gilmour has done the right thing by leaving Chelsea. The club is completely crazy. He wasn’t included in the 25 man premier league squad and the club got the jump with him for wanting a permanent transfer away. If you ask me he should never have left Rangers.

• Like 1

Lets just hope fewer clubs are prepared to loan us their young inexperienced players in future so that we are forced into employing players that can actually do us a proper job on the pitch in the EPL. 

That said, as this weekend has shown, the EPL has as much integrity as a tory politician....   Its a disgrace of a league and I'm not sure i would want us to be part of it.   Sad but true!  

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think most people expected us to be pretty, but naïve, as before.  But, we couldn't even look pretty!

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think both you and Jim are correct here.

From a Chelsea perspective I think if they'd thought about it he'd have been better at a Fulham, Bournemouth or even Rangers type club that played on the front foot.

From our perspective it was stupid to sign a player who any scouting would have shown needed protection from a proper DM next to him and then not address that position. Neither PLM or Normann ever looked like addressing that hole. If we weren't confident of filling the gap Skipp left, Gilmour should never have been signed.

Very much this, would love one day to hear the full story of last summer's recruitment - I know hindsight is 20/20, but how did we get it so badly wrong? I can accept relegation, lord knows I've seen enough of them, but we could and should have been far competitive last season.

He is like so many other young players at Chelsea, I really don’t understand why they have an academy. How many of their players from that academy actually go on to play 100 games for the first team?

And their new owner had the gall to write about teams in the Championship stifling young talent when he bought the club when Chelsea are the worst for it. 

Horrible club with horrible fans too who think they are entitled to everything!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spencer 1970 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-chelsea-brighton-billy-gilmour-thomas-tuchel-9252566

...got nothing to do with Chelsea breaking all transfer spend records this season on new players then? I used to half like TT but not sure these days. Its never his fault and always someone else's right? Maybe he should swap places with the positive Klopp...he'd fit in well with the Liverpool fans...I'm sure both teams would love that. 

I believe Billy is a LOT better than most on here would give him credit for. He was in an awful side as was only a kid...but TT's words are pure fantasty. I hope he comes good with age like Kane did to prove a few on here, (and TT) wrong.

TBH supporting Norwich has pretty much ruined my life

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Segura said:

Very much this, would love one day to hear the full story of last summer's recruitment - I know hindsight is 20/20, but how did we get it so badly wrong? I can accept relegation, lord knows I've seen enough of them, but we could and should have been far competitive last season.

That would require Webber to admit he got it wrong, so will never happen!

Gilmour was just one part of our worst recruiting drives I can recall. Some of the players we signed I had actually forgotten they were so ineffective . It wasn’t just Gilmour . Tzolis , Lees Melou and Kabak were never anywhere near the standard . Normann had his moments but not enough. Dimi and Gibson were quickly deemed not good enough. And a right footed left back who someone will have to tell me where the lad is now . 
It was a disaster . 

• Thanks 1

Tuchel knew exactly what he was doing when he sanctioned the loan move here. Make or break season for BG without the risk to the club with unsavoury owners (Chelski not us 😂) and unfortunately for him it was the later.

Apportioning blame and purely Crocodile tears from the Chelsea manager. The price tag says it all.

• Like 1

A lot of nonsense being spoken about it. The simple truth is that Tuchel was happy to send Gilmour to us because he thought Farke was a safe pair of hands in developing him, especially with his knowledge of him from Dortmund, with Farke being there at the same time as TT. 

That it didn't work is a shame for all parties. If Gilmour had come to us with most of the same players here from the previous season, it might have been easier, but there were just too many changes of personel, which made it all a bit of a shambles.

2 hours ago, Segura said:

What is mosty strange/staggering about it is that Webber had actually correctly identified the previous season where we had gone wrong with the first relegation under Farke and where our recruitment needed to be better next time with stronger, more athletic players. To make that statement and then less than a year later make exactly the same mistake again (in fact make it to arguably a worse degree) is truly bizarre. Forget hindsight, we had foresight and we still messed it up!

I think what Tuchel was basically saying is....

"If he weren't good enough for Norwich then he isn't good enough for Chelsea is he"

He actually said something very similar about Ross Barkley, when he went back to Chelsea from Villa... basically said that if he weren't anything special to Villa then he isn't good enough for a team with an annual top 4 target.

5 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Tuchel like Klopp is an annoying whining prima dona. No time for him either.

Absolutely right there Kenny.

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

This is certainly the bit I focussed on when reading the article too. It makes sense. Potter's teams are always well set up, work hard and play nice football. We tried to do that but failed on most levels in the Prem. 

Billy was just exposed in that side and him and all the others had absolutely no confidence after getting hammered most weeks. 

I don't really rate him after the experience we had here, but I'm sure he'll go on to have a decent career. 

I don't remember Harry Kane and the many spurs managers moaning we'd ruined him. When he couldn't even cut it in a cup game against conference Luton. He just got on with it.

Hopefully he will take some responsibility, work hard and be a success. Go on Billy prove me wrong and don't become the Champsionship journeyman I think you'll end up being.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Absolutely right there Kenny.

Prima donna you say? 😂

2X WORLD'S BEST CLUB COACH
World's Best Club Coach
19/20    Liverpool FC    Liverpool FC
18/19    Liverpool FC    Liverpool FC
1X FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP WINNER
FIFA Club World Cup winner
1X CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNER
Champions League winner
2X GERMAN CHAMPION
German Champion
11/12    Borussia Dortmund    Borussia Dortmund
10/11    Borussia Dortmund    Borussia Dortmund
1X ENGLISH CHAMPION
English Champion
1X UEFA SUPERCUP WINNER
Uefa Supercup winner
1X GERMAN CUP WINNER
German cup winner
1X ENGLISH FA CUP WINNER
English FA Cup winner
21/22    Liverpool FC    Liverpool FC

7 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Prima donna you say? 😂

2X WORLD'S BEST CLUB COACH
World's Best Club Coach
1X FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP WINNER
FIFA Club World Cup winner
1X CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNER
Champions League winner
2X GERMAN CHAMPION
German Champion
10/11    Borussia Dortmund    Borussia Dortmund
1X ENGLISH CHAMPION
English Champion
1X UEFA SUPERCUP WINNER
Uefa Supercup winner
1X GERMAN CUP WINNER
German cup winner
1X ENGLISH FA CUP WINNER
English FA Cup winner
21/22    Liverpool FC    Liverpool FC

He might be successful but that doesn't automatically mean he isn't a whinny ****

• Like 1