Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Premier Leauge set to review VAR decisions..?

How hard is it really. If the decision is not a total howler stay on field. End of.

They would be better axing the 5 sub rule which is if you ask me a total joke.

What about the Villa goal, they not looking at that?  VAR Sat and watched while a clear and obvious error was made because it's not in their remit I presume.  It's a wholly flawed system.

It's existence is just another money spin that goes outside of the game and into the hands of the rich, money that could've dripped down into lower leagues/grassroots.

And whats more, the longer it stays the more rules need to be changed to allow for it's shortcomings.  Just bin the ****ing thing off, it kills us attending matches as you haven't a clue what's happened or whether to celebrate a goal.   If we have to have it, mic the officials up like they do US sports that have these types of systems.

Hate it.

As has been said, it's not VAR that's the problem, its the muppets using it and those that are determining the laws and what strength of the laws to implement, that are the problem.

Supposedly it was decided pre season to allow more contact, keep the game flowing and penalise time wasting. The intentions are always all well and good but the application here has been pathetic. One area that sums up the major catastrophic decisions yesterday is the ludicrous protection goalkeepers get.

The West Ham and Newcastle decisions are just plain ******* stupid. Some ridiculous decision has been made and communicated to referees in pre season around gks, as I've never seen such a bad decision TWICE in two different games on the same day before. Bowen does not foul Mendy, fact. Willock does not foul Guaita, fact. Nobody believes they were fouls, except the referees. So what was said to them pre season??

But my main complaint with yesterday's decisions and how VAR has evolved and is now implemented, is, why did VAR get involved in the first place? CLEAR AND OBVIOUS error, is what they're supposed to get involved with. It was never put in to review every single decision to the minutest detail. Unless its an obvious clanger from the on field referee (he's unsighted etc) then stick with the decision he's made. Neither ref blew the whistle on field so the goals should, rightly, have stood as no obvious error in decision making was made. I think another problem is referees not making on field decisions because they know VAR is there. Stop relying on VAR and just get on with the game! We want free flowing football, not stop start b****** looking at the screen and waiting 2 or 3 minutes for a decision.

I will also never forgive VAR for taking away the joyous moment of celebration when a goal is scored, only for my doubt to immediately kick in that maybe Pukkis beard was offside and it'll get chalked off.

VAR should, as was sold to us all on its introduction, be running in the background and only interrupt the game when a clear and obvious error has been made on field. But what's actually happened is, it's become the centre piece for our sport and becomes the main talking point post match, one way or another.

VAR has helped referees make numerous correct decisions and, applied correctly would be great for the game. But what we're seeing at the moment is a bunch of incompetent fools who don't understand VAR, don't understand the fans and don't understand football.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

What about the Villa goal, they not looking at that?  VAR Sat and watched while a clear and obvious error was made because it's not in their remit I presume.  It's a wholly flawed system.

It's existence is just another money spin that goes outside of the game and into the hands of the rich, money that could've dripped down into lower leagues/grassroots.

And whats more, the longer it stays the more rules need to be changed to allow for it's shortcomings.  Just bin the ****ing thing off, it kills us attending matches as you haven't a clue what's happened or whether to celebrate a goal.   If we have to have it, mic the officials up like they do US sports that have these types of systems.

Hate it.

VAR couldn’t look at it as the whistle was blown before he took the shot. That was just a mistake by Lino/ ref which is what most people want, as opposed to VAR getting involved

18 minutes ago, city4eva said:

VAR couldn’t look at it as the whistle was blown before he took the shot. That was just a mistake by Lino/ ref which is what most people want, as opposed to VAR getting involved

That's my point, it's there to protect against errors but it sits idly while they occur because of how rigid the system needs to be.  It's just inherently flawed, and all they'll do is adjust the game and rules around it - it's just bs.   

Last season, in conjunction with VAR, they were allowing action to continue on offsides which risked challenges being made un-necessary - yet I see in that Villa game they whistled instantly, It's ridiculously inconsistently and always underdoing major adjustments for the sake of finding how to fit it in.

You pay officials, expect them to do a job - it's really simple concept.  Trouble is, there's too many mouths get fed installing and maintaining VAR, it's jobs for the boys all round and they will not make themselves redundant at this point.

The problem with var is the people using it, not the system itself.  They are looking at all the pictures that we get to see, they just seem to be incapable of seeing what everyone else sees.  These are people we are all paying for via subscriptions and tickets etc, they should be far more answerable than they are.

I couldn't care less about it all. Coaches and players deserve what they get. They all cheat and have absolutely no other desire than to win by any means.

We were told technology was available so why not use it. Well they are using it and they are still not happy. It could cost me my job say coaches. No it won't. Your being not as good a coach as you told your employers is the reason.

The game is being ruined by money anyway. If they want to ruin it even further then go ahead. You couldn't care less if football ended tomorrow. You have your money.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The problem with var is the people using it, not the system itself.  They are looking at all the pictures that we get to see, they just seem to be incapable of seeing what everyone else sees.

That's not the only problem with it though, it's how it leads the rules of the game and how it's targeted to any given situation to ask a single question. 

There's also the undermining of the officials on that day and the affect it has on supporters. 

We shouldn't be down to drawing lines from someone's ear to another players toe - Clear and obvious errors should all be done via a video review.  The minute this came in, it just became so over-clinical and takes away from the focus of the game and the officials on the field (imo).

VAR should only ever be a tool in which a ref makes a decision and his VAR official says 'I think you've made a howler here, go look at the screen'

Unfortunately this would rely on refs being of a good standard and with the emotional maturity to admit they might not have gotten it correct, which I don't think will happen. Its used by weak officiating to clinically determine outcomes so there's no fault on the ref team.

I'm not necessarily in favour of the 'you get 3 calls per game' like many say, but it may be the only way as it then becomes the responsibility of the teams/manager and not the weak officials.

Good technology to back up a weak system.

Football, at its best is alot like making love to a beautiful woman,  all those emotions, anticipation,excitement,love,lust,passion,etc

Football with VAR is like necrophilia 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

What a shambles in the Brighton game just now, 5 whole minutes that just took. 

VAR OUT!! 

💯 shambles. WTF , it's just getting worse and worse with this 🤓 geeky sh!t. You may as well bin referees and linesman and stick a 🤖 in there places .

It's well F*cked up my beautiful game. The nerds and geeks 🤓 p!ss me off. 

More contentious in the man u arsenal game with the 'foul' on Eriksen. Again, it's NOT a clear and obvious error so why did the on field decisions get overturned. They want more contact, they want continuous play and less stoppages. So why have they made this decision that is the exact opposite of all that??

8 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

More contentious in the man u arsenal game with the 'foul' on Eriksen. Again, it's NOT a clear and obvious error so why did the on field decisions get overturned. They want more contact, they want continuous play and less stoppages. So why have they made this decision that is the exact opposite of all that??

Just seen that on Twitter. The ref had to study it several times before he concurred. On that basis its not clear and obvious.

The rule should be one run through only if the ref is asked to review it - it has to be clear and obvious. If he can't see he was wrong in one run through it is not clear and obvious.

I have always hated VAR,

Until my other team won the derby as our local rivals had two penalties disallowed by it in the last 10 minutes.

Now I'm a fan.