18 hours ago, sgncfc said:

People now seem to be hooking onto this mantra that VAR isn't the problem, it's the people running it. No, it isn't. VAR is the problem. It has no place in the game and should be binned. It undermines the referee, slows the game down and it has been shown that it doesn't help to get decisions consistently correct. No, it doesn't even out over a season either.

Came on here to say the same thing. How many more years of people saying "it's not VAR, it's the way it's being used" and nothing changing do we have to endure before people realise that maybe, just maybe that isn't the case?

I've been following the VAR debate on YouTube today and from what I can see each contentious decision has those who agree with it and those who disagree with it. So just the same as before VAR was introduced. Most decisions are subjective and always will be regardless of VAR.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I've been following the VAR debate on YouTube today and from what I can see each contentious decision has those who agree with it and those who disagree with it. So just the same as before VAR was introduced. Most decisions are subjective and always will be regardless of VAR.

Interesting  Ricardo. So all the experts have a different slant on it. As you say most decisions are subjective and always will be. So the only way forward is to simplify the rules and bin VAR. No point in keeping it as it has just become a time wasting piece of nonsense , spoiling goal celebrations etc etc. Imagine how McAllister of Brighton feels. Utter garbage of a nerd driven world.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 08:14, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Just watching MOTD.

Getting worse, needs Binning. So glad we don’t have to deal with it currently. It’s influencing the results every week, it’s just not right. Leeds and West Ham screwed yesterday. 

Fair play to Micheal Oliver for showing the balls to stick to his decision against Bournemouth, however. Although probably made easier as it was a decision in favour of the home side.

How on earth can the football authorities be made to see sense and bin it!! 

The game has lost all its integrity at that level.   Not fair play to the ref at all…. no good sticking to his guns if he got the decision wrong!     Doubt anyone could possibly explain what the Bournemouth lad could have physically done to avoid the ball hitting his arm at that speed… it wasn’t sticking out but it’s attached to his body!   

Free kicks have to follow some form of error!   It’s a joke!   Sorry, Oliver’s decision was ridiculous!  

Totally agree though, it needs binning!  

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

I think your point is right, VAR still relies on opinions, generally I trust referees to be impartial and so they should only be involved if it is an obvious mistake, and to irradiate dangerous tackles.  I would love the also to retrospectively punish diving.

Personally if it takes more than 20 secs to review it was not an obvious mistake.

Finally VAR is currently making referees more lenient across the pitch, but forensically precise when looking to rule out a goal, this is changing the nature of the game, then finally we need to stay aligned with FIFA or our chances in world cups etc will reduce.

They really need to nail down when VAR is used. So that means only checking for offside when the linesman flags and only checking fouls when the ref blows. Having these secondary checks in 'super slow mo' forensic detail for non events are killing the game. 

If lino or ref misses the original incident then that's part and parcel of football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They really need to nail down when VAR is used. So that means only checking for offside when the linesman flags and only checking fouls when the ref blows. Having these secondary checks in 'super slow mo' forensic detail for non events are killing the game. 

If lino or ref misses the original incident then that's part and parcel of football.

Agreed. The stupidity at the moment is the linesman waiting to put his flag up long after the event. It is crazy.

4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Personally if it takes more than 20 secs to review it was not an obvious mistake.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Having these secondary checks in 'super slow mo' forensic detail for non events are killing the game. 

It does seem quite simple to me how to make it work as "clear and obvious" was the VAR remit I thought. The VAR officials should be subject to a time limit with no fancy replays. If they cannot see a clear and obvious error in a short time frame (20 seconds is more than enough) then go with the onfield decision. 

Any forensic detailed reviews can be done after each game and used as part of a post-match review with the officials, with no guilt assumed but suggestions for improvement. And in the case of simulation, post match punishments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

I recall last year Matt Le Tissier was on TV talking about VAR and said exactally this!

He also said if 100 random video clips of corners where the phase of play resulted in a goal were viewed by VAR, nearly all of them could easily be subjectively overruled due to the over-analysis and pedantic nature in which the way VAR is implemented in the Premier League, basically looking for any contact during the corner kick that could be regarded as a "soft foul" as justification for chalking off goals.

BTW The decision against West Ham is one of the worst I have ever seen. Maybe only second to when Cameron Jerome's overhead goal was ruled out against Crystal Palace a few years back...!

Edited by TheRock