Just watching MOTD.

Getting worse, needs Binning. So glad we don’t have to deal with it currently. It’s influencing the results every week, it’s just not right. Leeds and West Ham screwed yesterday. 

Fair play to Micheal Oliver for showing the balls to stick to his decision against Bournemouth, however. Although probably made easier as it was a decision in favour of the home side.

How on earth can the football authorities be made to see sense and bin it!! 

VAR is a blight on the game of football. Or rather the way it is used is a blight on the game.  Will the authorities stop using it? Very unlikely, too much time and money invested in it - like HS2 - in too deep. They might try to change the way they use it, but the main reason it is no good is because they are incompetent at using it, so no matter how they try and tweak it, you will continue to get nonsense decisions happening.

VAR has just led to an added sense of ridiculousness to watching football in the PL, it's ruining football - but it's funny how VAR seems to work better in other countries......you have to ask, why? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kingsway said:

It would have benefited us in the Wigan game!

If used correctly. Experience suggests it often isn't.

Also, the faceless people operating VAR would presumably be roughly the same standard as the referees in this league. My hopes for good and consistent decisions wouldn't be high.

VAR was always going to ruin the game, I've been against it since the first suggestion of it being used, and nothing has happened to make me change that view. 

VAR is the worst thing to ever happen to football. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We prob would have got a pen against Sunderland and Birmingham but overall football is much better without it

Just now, nutty nigel said:

The only positive I can see in VAR is five minute the five minute comfort breaks for @ricardo

Do you think Big R slips off for a pee even when VAR is reviewing a goal for us? I'm sceptical...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

Do you think Big R slips off for a pee even when VAR is reviewing a goal for us? I'm sceptical...

Rickyyyy would be daft not to. Much better than missing any of the game🙃

Yes linesmen (sorry, assistant referees) and referees make mistakes.

But referees and linesmaen making mistakes is as much part of the game as goalkeepers, defenders and strikers making mistakes.

VAR only helps poor referees out. Without VAR the better referees would rise to the top quicker and  much of the problem we have would be solved.

It was notable that the referee who blew his whistle too early yesterday and stopped a possible Villa winner in the Aston Villa Man City match was none other than the wonderful Simon Hooper.

VAR has kept him in a job, without it younger, better referees would be officiating better games and he would be several divisions lower.

As we used to say in the old days, even if the referee is wrong, he is right!

It's all part of the game.

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Just watching MOTD.

Getting worse, needs Binning. So glad we don’t have to deal with it currently. It’s influencing the results every week, it’s just not right. Leeds and West Ham screwed yesterday. 

Fair play to Micheal Oliver for showing the balls to stick to his decision against Bournemouth, however. Although probably made easier as it was a decision in favour of the home side.

How on earth can the football authorities be made to see sense and bin it!! 

And it did villa over too... no shame though as I hate villa

In the end it always comes down to an opinion. As with yesterdays crop of contentious decisions there are those who are for and those who are against.

Regardless of VAR, It will ever be thus. 

VAR is a tv drama addition to suit where the money comes from in the unsustainable otherwise EPL. You don’t need VAR just like you don’t need offside. The rule is so unnecessary and creates grey areas that just don’t need to be created. Gone are the days when teams would play hoof ball because we now have stats that’s show how low percentage and unsuccessful it is. Even if teams did it’d be the choice of the other side to man mark them or have a numerical advantage in midfield. There are still intriguing tactical battles to be had without the outdated offside rule. It needs to go and then effectively, aside from dangerous play VAR is totally redundant. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

Just seen the Michael Oliver one, fair play to him, christ only knows why VAR told him to look at it in the first place stone wall penalty. 

Hate VAR. 

The VAR officials seem as reliable as boxing judges. It also doesn't help that,other than off side, hand ball and fouls can be subjective so in those cases VAR shouldn't get involved.

Was good to see Oliver stick to his decision (although personally I think it was a harsh handball)

Maybe it should be limited to teams having limited reviews, like in cricket, so it's only used if requested but the biggest issue is we moan about it taking 5 mins in some cases to reach a decision, yet this morning there are still disagreements on what was the right decision 

Yep, Norwich fans seem to be more concerned about our ability to compete if we get promoted but for me the worst aspect would be the return to VAR, which is the most disgusting addition to football for live attending supporters.

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

Yep, Norwich fans seem to be more concerned about our ability to compete if we get promoted but for me the worst aspect would be the return to VAR, which is the most disgusting addition to football for live attending supporters.

We’re referred to as “legacy fans” now

going to a game of football is so passé these days when you can do what a proper football fan does and watch from Indonesia and pretend you are a fan or, indeed, have any idea what’s going on.

Not going to defend any of the decisions which VAR influenced yesterday.  I still believe it if reduces the number of terrible tackles and with some fairly minor tweeks could aid the games to flow.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Not going to defend any of the decisions which VAR influenced yesterday.  I still believe it if reduces the number of terrible tackles and with some fairly minor tweeks could aid the games to flow.

If it reduced the number of terrible tackles, why did Van Dijk stay on the pitch yesterday? Ref gave a yellow, VAR looked at it and agreed. Not so sure myself

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

VAR is a blight on the game of football. Or rather the way it is used is a blight on the game.  Will the authorities stop using it? Very unlikely, too much time and money invested in it - like HS2 - in too deep. They might try to change the way they use it, but the main reason it is no good is because they are incompetent at using it, so no matter how they try and tweak it, you will continue to get nonsense decisions happening.

VAR has just led to an added sense of ridiculousness to watching football in the PL, it's ruining football - but it's funny how VAR seems to work better in other countries......you have to ask, why? 

Yes LDC , you have to ask why. For sure here in 🇧🇷 Brazil , I never see big controversial decisions being called here. Just now in the Premier league in the UK 🇬🇧 it's lost the plot and completely ruining the simple game of football. There needs to be a serious review and quick.

I think VAR needs to be improved, not removed. I'm a fan of the correct decision being made, even if it's a slightly longer wait. The problem is, too often, it isn't.

I enjoy Rugby and VAR - and football in general - should follow the Rugby lead (in virtually every aspect of the game to be honest). It is not the technologies fault, it's the stupid people sitting behind the screen / on the pitch that are the problem and until they improve, no technology can 'fix' it.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 1

It only seems to create problems in this country though as it is well received elsewhere it seems.

Doesnt help that you’ve got the likes of Mike Dean doing it now after having to finish his career as a ref on field. Also, the PGMOL is run by one of our worst referees I have ever seen in Mike Riley. 

The standard of refereeing in this country is shocking now to be honest and I was a qualified referee a few years ago, taught by an ex top flight official, who was a real good guy, Phil Prosser.