Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Drummer behind the big screen

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

That’s not true though. The atmosphere at other grounds (not all), is much better, with the same constraints.

Disagree. We have seen (well I have) the Barclay for instance, change beyond recognition. It's full of people thataren't interested in chanting or making noise.

• Like 1

Just now, The Raptor said:

Practicing for the next couple of home games 😉 Any requests!?

IMG_20220905_193335476_HDR.jpg

Please. 

Can you play "over the hills and far away" 😉 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Can you play 4'33" by John Cage?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Buddy Rich ? How’s that for a challenge?

Yes for the drum

But what’s the point of him not seeing what’s happening on the pitch

Thats the whole idea to get behind the team

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

And so it begins 

Screenshot_20220907-072840_Facebook.jpg

I sometimes wonder if the people who make some decisions at our club aren't just throwing darts at a board to see what they hit and that's what they go with.

The drum could be fine, and even the scaffolding for it is fine. But why behind the bloody pillar!!! Just stick it next to the Barclay wall! 

• Like 1

Why on earth was the drummer positioned near to the away fans. All that contrived to do was spur on the away support. They loved it and though it was hilarious as could be heard by some of there chants. The last thing we should be doing is keeping up the away fans!

why not position the drummer slap bang in the middle of the lower Barclay or in between the snake pit and the Barclay. Anywhere but not next to the away fans🤦‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Why on earth was the drummer positioned near to the away fans. All that contrived to do was spur on the away support. They loved it and though it was hilarious as could be heard by some of there chants. The last thing we should be doing is keeping up the away fans!

why not position the drummer slap bang in the middle of the lower Barclay or in between the snake pit and the Barclay. Anywhere but not next to the away fans🤦‍♂️

Stick him in the Director's Box directly behind our Majority Shareholding Duo.....Don't think he'll be there long....

On 07/09/2022 at 14:14, Mello Yello said:

Stick him in the Director's Box directly behind our Majority Shareholding Duo.....Don't think he'll be there long....

I’m not so sure, the last time they tried it there it went down quite well. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

From my seat in the Upper Barclay I didn't realise how bizarre his positioning was. He's nearer the away fans than our own. I hope he didn't have to pay for a ticket as he can't actually see the pitch!

I think he needs to be included within the fans as it looks a bit weird where he is. 

Coventry fans were great and responded in good humour, others might not be. Millwall would have pelted him, especially after the aggro.

On 03/09/2022 at 20:41, Nexus_Canary said:

not seen much talk about this yet.

If you were not there today they have stuck a chap with a drum on the scaffold between the Barclay and the away fans.

What were people's thoughts?

I sit In the jarold and actually thought it was Coventry away fans who had bought it.

To me it was a bit sporadic and sounded tin pot at.

Like we can't make atmosphere let's bang a drum out of tune.

When I found out it was a norwich drum I was a bit like wow , that's so lame.

What were other people's thoughts?

Anyone in the Barclay who actually thought it was really good?

I appreciate I wasn't near it and didn't even know it was ours so would like to see the general consensus.

Copy pasted from the another thread 

Some drums like this would be good. 

Great posts about atmosphere, or lack of. I think it's been quite poor for a number of years; this year so far - is this a library- yes it is. I think one of the reasons is our inability to survive in the Prem - is there really any point in going up if we're going to meekly give up every week; this gives rise to an almost disinterest in what's happening on the pitch. This in turn leads to a lack of singing and chanting. As someone who usually spends the day after a match croaking, I'm am guilty of this myself.

Another problem is the boring songs - we had originality with 'Farke Life' but other than that, we sound funereal. We all love the 'Onez' chant because it's lively and reflects his performance but the song is so old and has been sung for many wingers.

A suggesting to improve things - have a section on the Pinkun where people can suggest tunes and words and have a link to the tune so that we can all learn the words/tune. People could then spread these around social media sites for others to pick up. We could then get the Barclay Lower to start these off.

On atmosphere, don't beat yourself up guys. I go to quite a few games in and around Yorkshire as a neutral with friends who support various other teams, and it is true home teams do not get the same vocal support as in the past.

A common song sung by the away fans in these grounds is that of "Is this a Library?" Most of the teams are not performing well, but it also happens at Bramall Lane where usually only poor refereeing decisions get the crowd going, rather than goals scored - yes, even their fans don't celebrate quite as wildly as they used to.

Go on any club's messageboard and you will see similar threads and comments on this theme. The new ticketed all seater stadiums really do make conservation of a noisy vocal support difficult. People as youngsters tend to be more vocal than the oldsters, but inevitably as they get older, they aren't as vocal as before (more likely to become grumpy old men). They do tend to continue to sit where they have always done which adds to the drop off in singing etc. It's so much easier to generate an atmosphere as an away fan because the more vocal groups are able to sit closer together. 

Again, this all brings in the big question of how to up the ante. Yes, you can go the way of Leicester and the use of those noisy paper fans, which has been tried at the Carra from time to time, but think most fans find annoying. All clubs now tend to have the same build up now of a run through of the club terrace anthem just before kick-off, again nothing that hasn't been tried at Norwich, but no lasting gain seems to be gained from it. As we are now witnessing, even improved performances on the pitch don't really get crowds at Norwich going, the novelty for most regular supporters has worn off and there is a certain expectation of it?

So it's back to the old debate about the increase in capacity and the replacement of the City Stand. One reason I have long argues for this is that Increasing capacity will allow for new, younger and potentially more boisterous fans to attend, through more flexible and hopefully cheaper ticketing.  This increased flexibility will also allow pockets of noisy fans to congregate more easily. I accept the argument there will be more games which are not near capacity (one of the bigger reasons cited by many for not investing in the ground) but as long as it is budgeted in by the club with new supporter development initiatives there should be potential benefits - if it helps the atmosphere then further benefits for on field performance too? 

Re ground expansion,  was quite a few seats empty, and not just singles, on Wednesday night.

Possibly season tickets who couldn't make it, ill agree, but still not convinced there is a massive appetite for more seats.....

• Like 1

Was he there Wednesday? Despite being in the Barclay I didn't notice if he was, and I forgot all about him to physically check. 

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Was he there Wednesday? Despite being in the Barclay I didn't notice if he was, and I forgot all about him to physically check. 

No, don't think he was.

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Yep. I'm down in the River End and It literally sounds like the neighbours taking the bins out from there. No rhythm, just that distant empty boom you get on bin day. Whoever is doing it doesn't appear to be responding to the crowd at all, it just seems totally random.

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Re ground expansion,  was quite a few seats empty, and not just singles, on Wednesday night.

Possibly season tickets who couldn't make it, ill agree, but still not convinced there is a massive appetite for more seats.....

Lots of seats unsold for tomorrow’s match, a family of seven could sit together in the South Stand. 

30 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Lots of seats unsold for tomorrow’s match, a family of seven could sit together in the South Stand. 

I think the economy is starting to hit, only going to get worse. Perhaps some family discounting could help

The best atmosphere was against Millwall, after they ripped a few seats out. Point being it also needs some away fans to create a bit of rivalry and tribalism. 

Coventry fans were good, but too nice really. The Bristol City away contingent was one of the smallest I've seen and they were quite quiet as well.

Edited by Capt. Pants