Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Failed Norwich players who have proved us wrong

Recommended Posts

Due to all the Billy Gilmour talk was trying to think of players who have not covered themselves in glory at Norwich but then gone onto perform at levels above what was the general opinion of them at Norwich. Scratching my brain but could not  come up with too many my ones were 

Harry Kane, Ade Akinbiyi and the right back that should not be named.

Am I forgetting anyone obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Mike Sheron must be the biggest one?

2 goals in 28 apps for us...

moves to Stoke and gets 39 goals in 71 games and earns a big money move to QPR

just to add to this - he cost us a million and when he went to Stoke we got Keith Scott in return - and he wasn't very good for us either!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toffolo is a good shout but it is still an emerging picture can’t say over the last 5 years I thought I wish it was Toffolo at left back but if he has a premier league career then good luck to him.

Did Mike Sheron ever do it at a level higher than Norwich were at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Recently, let’s count Toffolo

 

I would not count Toffolo as a failure here at all. Came through the academy, won the youth cup and then wasn't our first team level. He has since done well working his way up but he did it via leagues, 2, 1 and the Championship.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Sheron is a blast from the past people complain about how the club is currently run by we used to love selling 20 goal a season goal scorers during that era Efan Ekoku, Mark Robins, Mike Sheron, Ade Akinbiyi, Jamie Cureton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Toffolo is a good shout but it is still an emerging picture can’t say over the last 5 years I thought I wish it was Toffolo at left back but if he has a premier league career then good luck to him.

Did Mike Sheron ever do it at a level higher than Norwich were at

i guess not (i think Stoke, QPR, Barnsley were all 2nd tier) - but then we were also 2nd tier at the same time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So back in the 80s I remember watching a young striker Dion Dublin playing for the reserves. He was released and signed for Kings Lynn. I followed his career in the following years as his goals helped drag Cambridge through the leagues and so nearly to the PL. He then signed for Man U for a million quid but unfortunately broke his leg and subsequently scored loads of PL goals for Coventry and Villa. Played for England too.  We did get him back in 2006 for a swan song.

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/dublin.htm

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I would not count Toffolo as a failure here at all. Came through the academy, won the youth cup and then wasn't our first team level. He has since done well working his way up but he did it via leagues, 2, 1 and the Championship.

 

Then the OP should define “failure”. I would say Toffolo failed in getting a first team appearance. If that was his goal then he didn’t make it. Of course he’s not a failure now but I did wonder if I posted Toffolo whether I’d get pulled up on it. The notion of failure isn’t so black and white. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

just to add to this - he cost us a million and when he went to Stoke we got Keith Scott in return - and he wasn't very good for us either!

Scott then scored as many in his first two games as Sheron had in his whole time at Norwich. I remember thinking we'd played a blinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the original posted I would say i player who is was not rated by the majority of the Norwich fan base who  consistently performed  below what was expected of them. Who then went on to perform at a higher level than Norwich to much head scratching from all at Norwich. Basically player pushed out of the back door for being not good enough or in a case of a loan player someone we would not want back under any circumstances.

This is different to players who never got a chance to show us what there level was. So players like Canos, Dublin and Toffolo are good shouts but not really what I had in mind. Think Harry Kane played a bit was rubbish then proved us all wrong and then some.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Recently Canos? although his failure at Norwich was more due to the emergence of the Murhphys

One of the Murphy's now plays for Oxford United in League One, so that sort of emphasises that Canos definitely did prove Norwich coaches wrong. Albeit he prefers the right side, which is Jacob Murphy's side of the pitch, and Jacob Murphy is playing regularly in the Premier League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Scott then scored as many in his first two games as Sheron had in his whole time at Norwich. I remember thinking we'd played a blinder.

Better striker than poster.

All the best 

Big Nutty Nigel 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it a bit wrong... deleted. 🤪😂😱

Edited by chicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

One of the Murphy's now plays for Oxford United in League One, so that sort of emphasises that Canos definitely did prove Norwich coaches wrong. Albeit he prefers the right side, which is Jacob Murphy's side of the pitch, and Jacob Murphy is playing regularly in the Premier League.

Hmmm, Canos is a funny one. A bit like Toffolo in a sense that he went somewhere and took a while longer to reach the same heights we had. We moved him on, then were promoted. Arguably, it is only really this season where he could surpass what we have achieved in the same time frame - to argue that successfully he'd need to be a regular. So it's more one for the end of the season to see where they are.

Sounds harsh, but if they are relegated come the end of the season, they will have two premier league campaigns to their name, like us, in the same period, so not really achieved "better". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Better striker than poster.

All the best 

Big Nutty Nigel 

 

 

Methinks a real low bar there,Nutty 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Toffolo is a good shout but it is still an emerging picture can’t say over the last 5 years I thought I wish it was Toffolo at left back

Well I definitely can, because the dreadful James Husband was our left back when we released Toffolo from his contract half way through the season. Forgot about him once we had Jamal Lewis in the side.

I do think Webber and Farke made the wrong call on Toffolo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We let Surman go too easily. The view at the time appeared to be not strong enough for the top flight and then played there for Bournemouth for years 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chicken said:

I feel these sorts of questions need more context... What is a "failure"? How long are they allowed to have before leaving us and going on to do better? What is "better"?

Ruddy and R.Bennett are two more recent ones to have gone a level higher and been there for a bit with Wolves. Then you have Brady who went to Burnley. Martin Olsson went to Swansea and I think played a level higher for a season or two, though to be fair, he had played that level for us. And that's the real question for those players - all had performed to a similar level for us, so it's less doing better and more that they achieved with us and then were able to get moves to retain that level.

Maddison is another more obvious case. You can add in Jacob Murphy and to an extent Godfrey.

Going back further you have Robert Green, Jason Shackell, Dean Ashton, Craig Bellamy, Darren Eadie, Lee Marshall... 

Can't help but feel you've misunderstood the brief.

We sold Robbie Brady for £14m.... we knew how good he was.

This is about players who proved us wrong. If anything, Brady's terrible injury record since leaving means we've been proved right (to accept an offer of that level).

This is about players that either the fans or the club thought weren't good enough, but they went on to thrive. So Toffolo and Canos meet that description.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't help but feel you've misunderstood the brief.

We sold Robbie Brady for £14m.... we knew how good he was.

This is about players who proved us wrong. If anything, Brady's terrible injury record since leaving means we've been proved right (to accept an offer of that level).

This is about players that either the fans or the club thought weren't good enough, but they went on to thrive. So Toffolo and Canos meet that description.

Ah yup, my bad.

Thing is, neither Canos nor Toffolo were seen as not good enough so to speak. We sold Canos for as much as we paid for him I believe, or close enough to. And we sold him to a fellow championship side. Arguably he hasn't shown to be better than us particularly either. Like I say, for that to be the case he'd have to be more successful than any of the wide players we have had since he left.

So it's a no from me.

Toffolo is meets more of the imaginary criteria... imaginary because no one has really set anything decent.

Ignore my previous post... 

Edited by chicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Players who were rubbish for us but much better elsewhere

Rubbish in what way? If they didn't play a first team game, for example, doesn't mean they are/were "rubbish".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Due to all the Billy Gilmour talk was trying to think of players who have not covered themselves in glory at Norwich but then gone onto perform at levels above what was the general opinion of them at Norwich. Scratching my brain but could not  come up with too many my ones were 

Harry Kane, Ade Akinbiyi and the right back that should not be named.

Am I forgetting anyone obvious.

I worked with a Leicester fan back in the early 2000s, he referred to Ade Akinbiyi as "Ade Akin-bad-buy"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Fashanu.

Not easy, to say the least, to shine during and after Justin but was with us for about five years and couldn't have made that many more appearances.

Did well at Wimbledon and got a couple of England caps-although the formers playing style suited him perfectly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K Lo said:

I worked with a Leicester fan back in the early 2000s, he referred to Ade Akinbiyi as "Ade Akin-bad-buy"

To be fair I heard a Norwich say if Akinbiyi was a racehorse he would have been destroyed by now.

But as per the original brief if you asked a sizeable amount of Norwich most fans would say he was a bit of a donkey but the guy left and although m maybe only marginally enjoyed a career above Norwich in the football pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nobody mention Kane yet? Did anybody think he would end up as England captain..? I know it was a loan but still 😉

He was mentioned in the original post. Did you even read it!?

I'm mates with a Leicester fan. He went on loan to them too and was rubbish. Got caught offside constantly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Then the OP should define “failure”. I would say Toffolo failed in getting a first team appearance. If that was his goal then he didn’t make it. Of course he’s not a failure now but I did wonder if I posted Toffolo whether I’d get pulled up on it. The notion of failure isn’t so black and white. 

Toffolo did play in the first team in a cup game under Adams I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...