Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Failed Norwich players who have proved us wrong

On 03/09/2022 at 12:12, Ulfotto said:

the right back that should not be named.

Mills was a beast when he was at Leeds. An absolute monster at right back. Most Leeds fans preferred Gary Kelly, but that was probably sentiment. 

Leeds played with an orthodox winger in Harry Kewell on the left, but played with Bowyer on the right of midfield, who tended to play more as a centre-mid. Leeds got their attacking width on the right from a rampaging Danny Mills at full-back.

Having seen him as a rather weak, flimsy wet defender at Norwich, his transformation seemed to come from nowhere. Personally I think it was being dismissed at Norwich that made him find that from somewhere.

Chris Martin I think also had a point to prove after being surplus to requirements. ?Both local lads. Both needed to be rejected in order to find the fire to succeed? Perhaps Todd will follow a similar path

FFS... how could i have forgotten...

SCOTT HOWIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although he wasn't "bad" for us - just couldn't displace Gunn...

and i still believe if we had kept him in 1994 - then we wouldn't have gone down in 95 after Gunn got injured at xmas

• Like 1

Dickson Etuhu is someone else which could be throw into this category I didn’t care much for him or rate him particularly  but he played five years in the premier league after leaving us.

I suppose what this thread shows is that not many players who don’t perform for us go onto bigger and better things. It shows Gilmour will have to buck a trend.

18 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Are you thinking of Helveg?

Helveg was another with Russ martin syndrome ?

Played for some massive clubs won the Champs League etc 

Helveg had played most his career at RB and came here and played CB AND CM ?

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 12:12, Ulfotto said:

Due to all the Billy Gilmour talk was trying to think of players who have not covered themselves in glory at Norwich but then gone onto perform at levels above what was the general opinion of them at Norwich. Scratching my brain but could not  come up with too many my ones were 

Harry Kane, Ade Akinbiyi and the right back that should not be named.

Am I forgetting anyone obvious.

Michael Theoklitos who went on to have a blinding career in the A League.

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Michael Theoklitos who went on to have a blinding career in the A League.

That signing will always be mystifying. You would have thought that of all positions Gunn would know goalkeepers. To dismiss him after one game (both of them) shows how bad a mistake it must have been considered to be. He was Gunn's number 1 target that summer. He must have been atrocious in training to have never given him another chance

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Helveg was another with Russ martin syndrome ?

Played for some massive clubs won the Champs League etc 

Helveg had played most his career at RB and came here and played CB AND CM ?

Helveg definitely played some games for us at right-back, but ultimately Edworthy played better. Helveg was at the end of his career and on a downward trajectory. Not a bad punt, and actually brave of Worthy not to overlook Edworthy and automatically pick the player with the higher reputation. Having been deemed inferior to Eddy at right-back, not a bad idea seeing if his experience could help in other areas we were struggling at. Contributed very little ultimately though, and was surely on decent wages, that ultimately the club felt it couldnt afford to give to Malky and Iwan

It will be very interesting to see how Gilmour does at Brighton. 

Gone are the Chelsea fan-boys to tell us what a mistake we were making. Therefore gone are the Chelsea associations, so gone will be the incessant pundit eulogising.

Perceived to have failed at Norwich and been jettisoned by Chelsea, Gilmour will now either have a point to prove and come back fighting, or will be low on confidence and flatter to deceive once more.

Brighton fans, unless they saw something in him that we didnt, will perhaps be open-minded about his signing, but are unlikely to be blinkered. If he doesnt impress them I doubt they will insist on what a world class player he is for too long.

He does however have a chance at a fresh start. Good luck to him. Reality is none of the bigging up was his fault, and he doesnt seem to have an attitude problem.

20 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Mills was a beast when he was at Leeds. An absolute monster at right back. Most Leeds fans preferred Gary Kelly, but that was probably sentiment. 

Leeds played with an orthodox winger in Harry Kewell on the left, but played with Bowyer on the right of midfield, who tended to play more as a centre-mid. Leeds got their attacking width on the right from a rampaging Danny Mills at full-back.

Having seen him as a rather weak, flimsy wet defender at Norwich, his transformation seemed to come from nowhere. Personally I think it was being dismissed at Norwich that made him find that from somewhere.

Chris Martin I think also had a point to prove after being surplus to requirements. ?Both local lads. Both needed to be rejected in order to find the fire to succeed? Perhaps Todd will follow a similar path

DM's journey from meek, surly whipping boy at Norwich to England's rampaging right-back at the 2002 World Cup (yes I know that was by default) remains the most bizarre footballing transformation I've ever seen.

I was very young at the time he played for us but still can't remember seeing anything that made me think he could play at very high level.

Fair play to Mills though, even though he's a clearly a rotter. 

On 03/09/2022 at 21:00, hertfordyellow said:

Andy Hughes was very much a scapegoat here but went on to play regularly for Leeds. Maybe not exactly proved us wrong but calved out a decent career when I could only see him joining Jason Jarrett on the fast journey down the leagues.

I'd argue Andy Hughes proved us exactly right- he dropped down to League One level where he was a solid starter but he was signed by us to play at the top end of the Championship and really wasn't very good. 

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 12:22, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Recently Canos? although his failure at Norwich was more due to the emergence of the Murhphys

Canos is a good shout, although I'd argue his failure sits largely with Alex Neil being a bit of an idiot rather than the Murphy's. 

Korey Smith? 

Got promoted and won the league and football league trophy with Bristol before spending multiple years in the Championship with them, and then Swansea. He certainly did alright for himself. 

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

Korey Smith? 

Got promoted and won the league and football league trophy with Bristol before spending multiple years in the Championship with them, and then Swansea. He certainly did alright for himself. 

Smith was one of those who was a bit unlucky to break through when we kept getting promoted so he didn't have a chance to stay established. Always delighted for him that he carved out a really solid Championship career, just like Chris Martin. 

• Like 1

The term ‘failed’ doesn’t apply to many of these names, some were just wrong time like Korey Smith or Toffolo, Beckham wasn’t even a Norwich player and even Kane it could be argued got the development need at that stage of his career while we got a backup 3rd choice(?) striker. Failure to me is more like someone not doing the job they were brought in to do, someone like Julien Brellier who was going to fill a Gary Holt shaped hole in our midfield but was pants.. and he didn’t go on to better things no, I don’t think there are many that have.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

The term ‘failed’ doesn’t apply to many of these names, some were just wrong time like Korey Smith or Toffolo, Beckham wasn’t even a Norwich player and even Kane it could be argued got the development need at that stage of his career while we got a backup 3rd choice(?) striker. Failure to me is more like someone not doing the job they were brought in to do, someone like Julien Brellier who was going to fill a Gary Holt shaped hole in our midfield but was pants.. and he didn’t go on to better things no, I don’t think there are many that have.

Yeah I agree- I think one of the best suggestions here was Canos who came in expected to be an important player, was sold 6 months later without an impact and is now a regular in the top flight.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I agree- I think one of the best suggestions here was Canos who came in expected to be an important player, was sold 6 months later without an impact and is now a regular in the top flight.

Again though, wasn't he 'unfortunate' of the emergence of the Murphy's, who at the time were ahead of him in terms of development. I'm sure if they hadn't have broken through, he would have been our first choice winger

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

Again though, wasn't he 'unfortunate' of the emergence of the Murphy's, who at the time were ahead of him in terms of development. I'm sure if they hadn't have broken through, he would have been our first choice winger

No, he was unfortunate Alex Neil for some reason had it in for him.

In terms of track record Canos had more Championship experience then either of the Murphy's when he arrived. He then went to Brentford 6 months later and was a regular in the Championship.

I think its easy to forget just how little a chance he got here- 1 start and 2 sub appearances in the league before he was sold. For comparison Kyle Lafferty got more minutes.

I think in terms of 'proving people wrong' he certainly proved Neil wrong as he went on to show himself to be a more than capable Championship player and even someone who can do a job in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 17:07, The Great Mass Debater said:

Mills is a funny one. From what I have heard he wasn't shown the door for being rubbish, but to do with his attitude. Having spoken to a chap I worked with some 15yrs ago now who claimed to have coached him before Norwich took him on, he had a real arrogant streak even back then. His words to me were that he wasn't a naturally gifted footballer but was prepared to work hard though his attitude was a bit of a hindrance as he often felt he was better than he was.

As a defender, Mills was good. It's why he could also play centre back. Going forwards... less so. More of a rugged type, which is why he was something like 3rd or 4th choice right back for the national set up and only went to an international tournament due to injuries to others including Gary Neville.

He wasn't a bad player, but one I think that was massively overrated and Leeds fans probably had it about right. Kelly was probably the better all round right back of the two, Mills the better defensively, but certainly not as good going forward. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

No, he was unfortunate Alex Neil for some reason had it in for him.

In terms of track record Canos had more Championship experience then either of the Murphy's when he arrived. He then went to Brentford 6 months later and was a regular in the Championship.

I think its easy to forget just how little a chance he got here- 1 start and 2 sub appearances in the league before he was sold. For comparison Kyle Lafferty got more minutes.

I think in terms of 'proving people wrong' he certainly proved Neil wrong as he went on to show himself to be a more than capable Championship player and even someone who can do a job in the Premier League. 

Hmmm. It wasn't Neil that sold him though was it? And we sold him for about the same sum we paid for him. That doesn't suggest we felt he wasn't capable. Perhaps just not right for us. He's inured at the moment but I expect him to be one of the players to make way in January or next summer - he's a bit like John Fleck IMHO, he's good at this level and will have games in the PL where he looks ok, but I'm not convinced he's any better than the majority of what we have had regularly play in the same position since.

38 minutes ago, chicken said:

Hmmm. It wasn't Neil that sold him though was it? And we sold him for about the same sum we paid for him. That doesn't suggest we felt he wasn't capable. Perhaps just not right for us. He's inured at the moment but I expect him to be one of the players to make way in January or next summer - he's a bit like John Fleck IMHO, he's good at this level and will have games in the PL where he looks ok, but I'm not convinced he's any better than the majority of what we have had regularly play in the same position since.

Yes it was, Neil was still in charge than January. He then bought in Yanic Wildschut instead...

I think the fact we sold him having given him a sum total of 103 minutes suggests that he didn't rate him.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd argue Andy Hughes proved us exactly right- he dropped down to League One level where he was a solid starter but he was signed by us to play at the top end of the Championship and really wasn't very good. 

Fair. I think playing for Leeds was better than I expected. I thought he would follow others of that team down the leagues.

You could always go the other way, players who done well elsewhere but then came here and done sod all! 

Looking at you luciano Becchio ( although he wasn't ever really given a chance to ) 

Or 

Yohan Elmander. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

11 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

You could always go the other way, players who done well elsewhere but then came here and done sod all! 

Looking at you luciano Becchio ( although he wasn't ever really given a chance to ) 

Or 

Yohan Elmander. 

You mean the Jamie Cureton syndrome.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 18:56, If wed kept Howie.. said:

FFS... how could i have forgotten...

SCOTT HOWIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although he wasn't "bad" for us - just couldn't displace Gunn...

and i still believe if we had kept him in 1994 - then we wouldn't have gone down in 95 after Gunn got injured at xmas

Have to say that did cross my mind when I read your handle on here! 😀 Does he meet the criteria?

That plummet down the table after Christmas signalled the end of the club's most consistently competitive era. Still hurts.

Has to be Harry Kane surely?
Still remember that scuffed sitter he missed and thinking, who on earth is he.... lad did OK.

Edited by Nexus_Canary