Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Failed Norwich players who have proved us wrong

Sonny Carey

Released from the Norwich academy.

Played a bit for Wroxham, 60 odd games for kings Lynn and got a move to Blackpool. Played 20ish games for them. 

Hardly a world beater yet but was deemed not good enough here and is now playing in the same league. 

To be fair, not many have left here having been bumped off and gone on to bigger and better things. I'd say the academy team have generally got things right, even Toffolo took several years to progress to where he is now, which at the time wasn't what we needed. Wolfswinkel has done okay, as has Drmic but at a lower level I guess

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Does Patrick Bamford meet the criteria?

Good one thought his career was a death spiral after he left us but fair play he turned it round.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Due to all the Billy Gilmour talk was trying to think of players who have not covered themselves in glory at Norwich but then gone onto perform at levels above what was the general opinion of them at Norwich. Scratching my brain but could not  come up with too many my ones were 

Harry Kane, Ade Akinbiyi and the right back that should not be named.

Am I forgetting anyone obvious.

Mbokani

5 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Mike Sheron must be the biggest one?

2 goals in 28 apps for us...

moves to Stoke and gets 39 goals in 71 games and earns a big money move to QPR

I think the problem with Sheron was that he was the budget replacement for Sutton. IIRC they even put him in Sutton’s No.22 shirt too, which only highlighted more just how much those two transfers had diminished the quality of that team.

I think it is more a case of 'the ones that got away'. Classic to that being the ever popular flat cap wearing, ferret chasing Danny Mills. Never would have him down for an international career.

8 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I think it is more a case of 'the ones that got away'. Classic to that being the ever popular flat cap wearing, ferret chasing Danny Mills. Never would have him down for an international career.

Didn't he get voted England's best player at one of the world cups, or have I imagined that!!

Let's hope Ahadme isn't one we Regret!!

12 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Didn't he get voted England's best player at one of the world cups, or have I imagined that!!

Let's hope Ahadme isn't one we Regret!!

I think we could them him. Though they do appear to have a terrible track record of 'missing out'. Rhodes, Moore. Gibbs was a steal at £500,000. And a harsh lesson for them for not investing in Category 1.

Andy Hughes was very much a scapegoat here but went on to play regularly for Leeds. Maybe not exactly proved us wrong but calved out a decent career when I could only see him joining Jason Jarrett on the fast journey down the leagues.

8 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

just to add to this - he cost us a million and when he went to Stoke we got Keith Scott in return - and he wasn't very good for us either!

All the best 

big Keith Scott 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

One that got away was David Beckham pity he said had already signed for Man Utd at 11 when we had found him 

The salient truth in this issue is, not many! It’s quite uncanny how few players have left us and gone on to better things, actually quite odd. 

12 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

just to add to this - he cost us a million and when he went to Stoke we got Keith Scott in return - and he wasn't very good for us either!

You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak.

All the best. Big Keith Scott.

• Like 1

I'd argue that the most 'famous' one would be RVW - our biggest signing ever at the time and scored something like one goal and has gone on to have a good career since leaving us.

Didn't we have the Danish captain right back (Thorenson?) at one point in the early 2000s who didn't do a lot for us but did well after moving on?

5 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Andy Hughes was very much a scapegoat here but went on to play regularly for Leeds. Maybe not exactly proved us wrong but calved out a decent career when I could only see him joining Jason Jarrett on the fast journey down the leagues.

Andy Hughes was **** for us and he even said so himself recently!

John Fashanu

Weighed down maybe by being in his brother's shadow, bumped off to Lincoln before really being given a chance

Club opted to bring Robert Rosario through from the youth team instead.

A strikeforce of Robert Fleck and John Fashanu would have veen something by the time Fashanu got to his peak at Wimbledon in the late 80s / early 90s !

....ditto Dion Dublin

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Did we really have him, amazing keeper.😄

He trialed here, played reserve games, went back to Finland, and before we made a decision on him Bolton bought him. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

I wouldn’t include Harry Kane, he wasn’t our player to let go, and while he didn’t stand out he was only 19 and only played 3 league games.

15 hours ago, taipei_canary said:

I'd argue that the most 'famous' one would be RVW - our biggest signing ever at the time and scored something like one goal and has gone on to have a good career since leaving us.

Didn't we have the Danish captain right back (Thorenson?) at one point in the early 2000s who didn't do a lot for us but did well after moving on?

Are you thinking of Helveg?