Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

*** Official Deadline Day Thread ***

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

He was on loan at Wigan before joining us.

Yes but Wigan can’t re-sign him from us because we never signed him from them.

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes but Wigan can’t re-sign him from us because we never signed him from them.

It says re-sign for Wigan not re-signing from Norwich, this is correct, although if we're to be total pedants they should have stuck a comma in there after 'Wigan' ..... Apart for the fact the story appears totally made up, unfortunately. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

6 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

It says re-sign for Wigan not re-signing from Norwich, this is correct, although if we're to be total pedants they should have stuck a comma in there after 'Wigan' ..... Apart for the fact the story appears totally made up, unfortunately. 

No, it does specifically say "...set to resign for Wigan from Norwich..."

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

At the end of the day nothing happened 

Yes and I am sure that the fact we signed no one will never be mentioned again.

Edited by Herman

NEW SIGNING

congratulations city we signed a new person behind the Bar

Edited by baldy09

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The best summer transfer window since the Buendia-Pukki-Krul incomings of 2018, and may prove to be even more consequential. No-one gone we didn't want to see gone and the significant business done early, with the arrival of a potential starting-eleven midfield spine of Hayden, Sara and Nunez. Plus a no-option-to-buy loan deal that gives Tzolis a chance to prove himself for us for next season.

It seems we decided after all not to go for a left-back, as opposed to failing to persuade anyone to join us. If so that looks like quite a gamble, unless we have a free agent up our sleeves.

Think it was always going to be tough to find a left back. They'd have to be of sufficient quality, willing to come for what amounts to about 4 months, available from their club and have nobody else offering them a better deal/ more playing time. Tricky set of parameters

53 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yes and I am sure that the fact we signed no one will never be mentioned again.

The thing I was worried about was players leaving

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

It seems we decided after all not to go for a left-back, as opposed to failing to persuade anyone to join us. If so that looks like quite a gamble, unless we have a free agent up our sleeves.

It's a gamble, but IMO a gamble worth taking. Events might prove me wrong, of course.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

The thing I was worried about was players leaving

Yes, agree. I'm fairly happy. The big thing is that Teemu is still here. I think he is a great player at Championship level especially. Other teams fear him, for good reason. His football intelligence is good enough to outsmart lots of defences. If he gives us 12-15 goals then I believe with other players chipping in (they are) it means a good season ahead. Without him, a similar replacement would have been very expensive. I don't know how long he has left in him but he is still the real deal. Even as a sub (temporary thing perhaps) he has looked dangerous. It changes momentum in a match. Hope he starts firing this month.

Max is still here too. That has to be a plus. We have Dimi now on the road back. We've really got great midfield options and depth with Sara, Hayden and Nunez additions. Shouldn't forget too the youngsters who have broken through. Gibbs, Rowe especially look the part. Hope too longer term for Tomkinson.

Finally, some longer standing players look refreshed. Onel is the obvious one. Cantwell looks more engaged too. Byram is a great utility player it is beginning to look like.

Anyway. Glad it's finished and over (til January!). We can get on with winning matches now up to the world cup break.

• Like 1

Toes and fingers crossed on the  LB position for a while. Strange there isn't a LB in the whole of the world who isn't remotely good enough to even provide cover on the bench.

At least we can forget this notion that it would be easy to replace Max, if this is anything to go by.

55 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Toes and fingers crossed on the  LB position for a while. Strange there isn't a LB in the whole of the world who isn't remotely good enough to even provide cover on the bench.

At least we can forget this notion that it would be easy to replace Max, if this is anything to go by.

Doesn't the "loan window" carry on for a few weeks after the initial window "SLAMS SHUT" or am I imagining it? 🥴🤣 

Can always get a free agent in for 3 months cover too. 

Although I doubt we'll see anyone, think we were always happy to leave it as Kenny and Byram swapping 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Why was there no recall clause for the Mumba loan? I guess they didnt envisage having such bad luck with injuries but I generally thought with a loan, the parent club can call the player back if they wish.

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Christ, can't even make a joke without you butting in and trying to find some way to put me down. What a sad, sad life you live😂

I Know You Love Me text typographic Man's & Woman's - Love Me - Sticker |  TeePublic UK

On 01/09/2022 at 12:22, Robert N. LiM said:

Think the most important bit of deadline day news for us is whether Sarr stays at Watford 

They've kept both Sarr and Joao Pedro. Good window for them. 

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That comment was based on Davitt's summary of our transfer business:

"City opted not to bring in a left back as a stop-gap signing, following early season injuries to Dimi Giannoulis and Sam McCallum."

But Smith has now said the opposite. They didn't opt out. They didn't decide not to. They tried very hard to get in a left-back but just couldn't pull off the deal, which makes more sense to me.

9 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

They've kept both Sarr and Joao Pedro. Good window for them. 

I suppose that's the advantage of being able to sell a player for over £12m profit after only 6 months and still get to loan him back for the season.... Other teams may think we have an unfair advantage with the parachute payments yet far fewer seem to be bleating about Watford's dodgy dealings

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

That comment was based on Davitt's summary of our transfer business:

"City opted not to bring in a left back as a stop-gap signing, following early season injuries to Dimi Giannoulis and Sam McCallum."

But Smith has now said the opposite. They didn't opt out. They didn't decide not to. They tried very hard to get in a left-back but just couldn't pull off the deal, which makes more sense to me.

My impression is a bit of both. As in there may have been imperfect or expensive options out there but ultimately we decided it wasn't worth it.

Like, if James Husband was available or Chelsea gave us an lad with no professional games from their loan stable but it was 500k per match for him or something.

From a personal point of view I think our team functions better without Kenny in a midfield 3. Which is likely to be the case if he now has to be left back for 3 months, and brings Sara in by necessity which I also have high hopes for.

10 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

My impression is a bit of both. As in there may have been imperfect or expensive options out there but ultimately we decided it wasn't worth it.

Like, if James Husband was available or Chelsea gave us an lad with no professional games from their loan stable but it was 500k per match for him or something.

From a personal point of view I think our team functions better without Kenny in a midfield 3. Which is likely to be the case if he now has to be left back for 3 months, and brings Sara in by necessity which I also have high hopes for.

Southwell is now saying we very much wanted to sign someone, and in the end one player in particular, but just couldn't close the deal. it wasn't that we opted out:

Norwich City’s search for an additional left-back option went down to the final day, with Dean Smith admitting to some disappointment at being unable to complete a deal. After a spate of injuries to all three options in that position, Smith made little secret of his desire to recruit some extra cover whilst Dimitris Giannoulis, Sam McCallum and Jacob Sorensen all spend significant periods on the treatment table. Despite an extensive search that saw them enquire for four players and get down the line with one in particular, they were unable to beat Thursday’s deadline.