CANARYKING

Smith “ the substitutes won it for us “

With Farke the complaint was he rarely made subs and when they did they didn't impact the game

Now our subs make an impact and clearly it means we are picking the wrong side.

That's despite it being pretty clearly proven Onel performs much better as an impact sub just for one example.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

That’s two games running, ever thought about picking the correct team in the first place ?

The players who came on and won the game in each of these two games are players who many people have called to be dropped. 

The only people who are complaining about this are the ones who have already decided they don't like Dean Smith.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

The 5 sub rule makes it more a squad game than ever. If you know you’re going to use 16 players per game, it puts less emphasis on the starting 11 - and arguably more on how you change that 11 through the game to the best effect. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mrdi said:

The 5 sub rule makes it more a squad game than ever. If you know you’re going to use 16 players per game, it puts less emphasis on the starting 11 - and arguably more on how you change that 11 through the game to the best effect. 

Exactly. There's something to be said for keeping your powder dry and waiting for the opposition to tire before bringing out the big guns.

I still wish we would set up with a more solid midfield because we always look like conceding.

• Like 1

I do agree that with this stupid rule finishers are as important as starters, I'm just not sure Dowell should be in either camp. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm just not sure Dowell should be in either camp. 

I guess for Smith it's working out why he and Sinani played so well previously.  He gave Rashica a decent crack... And has been ruthless since, I have no doubt Dowell will be subject to the same reaction if he can't affect games either.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The players who came on and won the game in each of these two games are players who many people have called to be dropped. 

The only people who are complaining about this are the ones who have already decided they don't like Dean Smith.

To be fair I was pretty disappointed with the line up tonight and I’m certainly not a Smith-outer. Onel should not have been dropped given he was the only influential starting AM versus Sunderland in the first 60 mins. But perhaps Smith is vindicated given the circumstances of tonight’s result. Just seems like we could be playing better in the first 2/3s of the game and not relying on the final stages to nick the result. We don’t just have strength in depth to rely on off the bench as an asset, but more than enough first-11 quality to dominate the majority of teams before any substitutions too!

I also felt the subs could’ve came sooner in both games, particularly against Sunderland when it was clear after 45 mins the 11 out there weren’t going to dig out a win.

I’m sure he will choose a better selection on Sat, I’d seriously consider dropping all three of our starting attacking midfielders after tonight but perhaps Sinani will come alive again being back at Carrow Road. Surprised Cantwell didn’t get more time tonight, would like to see him start over Dowell and Hernandez back in for Ramsey. 

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Its a new level of desperation when you're essentially criticising a manager for making effective substitutions at the right times in matches to have an impact on the result.

It’s good squad management and if you can’t work that out then you are very much behind the times 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

It’s good squad management and if you can’t work that out then you are very much behind the times 

Correct 💯

I had an inkling that Smith would more or less use the same starters, as there would have been some sense in that, if only because he was aware of the  fact that he had such a strong bench to call upon if things were not going to plan.

As it was, it seemed clear after thirty minutes that this was the case. So much dominance, but so little actual threat, with their 'keeper hardly troubled.  

An upside down selection policy leading to an upside down substitution policy needing to be called upon, then? Bring the heavy guns on thirty minutes from the start of the game rather than the standard thirty minutes from the end. 🙃

Would he have dared?

Nah!

We have an embarrassment of riches on the bench at this level and Smith has shown capable of choosing the right players at the right moment to turn games in our favour and get the results. I didn’t think there was much wrong with the starting 11 or the subs tonight and we got 3 points. So job done.

• Like 1