What are his attributes? I have yet to see any. McLean is twice the player. And that's saying something.

All the best. Big K.Scott.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

What are his attributes? I have yet to see any. McLean is twice the player. And that's saying something.

Did your lot win tonight down at Portaloo?

Forest Wood End, Yesterdays Rangers or someone wasnt it they played?

3 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Did your lot win tonight down at Portaloo?

Forest Wood End, Yesterdays Rangers or someone wasnt it they played?

Unfortunately they won 6-0 and look like they've got a serious team now.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

He's creative and good on the ball. Possesses little else and is a bit of a luxury player tbh. I think Smith using him as his main creative influence is never gonna work to the levels Smith thinks it would. I prefer Cantwell

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Unfortunately they won 6-0 and look like they've got a serious team now.

It was bloody Northampton in some Pizza cup or something, calm down 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

He's creative and good on the ball. Possesses little else and is a bit of a luxury player tbh. I think Smith using him as his main creative influence is never gonna work to the levels Smith thinks it would. I prefer Cantwell

Erm shouldn't creative players, you know actually create chances? 🤷

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

It was bloody Northampton in some Pizza cup or something, calm down 😂

Oh didn't realise it weren't the league, that does make me feel better actually!

• Haha 2

I like Dowell but he needs to up his game. Seems to drift out of it  for long periods.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I like Dowell but he needs to up his game. Seems to drift out of it  for long periods.

He's a very poor mans Buendia in that he can pick a pass and create but has none of the drive, ruthlessness and determination to take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate. He's destined for a career knocking about in the middle of the Championship.

It's not like he's not trying, but I for one would be happy to see him moved on.  I doubt that will happen this season, but he's had more than enough opportunity to make his mark at the club. 

Similar to Placheta - I can see why they were bought - but neither have worked out.

• Like 1

If Cantwell had 2-3 years left on his contract, I do wonder if he'd be getting the nod ahead of Dowell.  Kieran has some decent ability tucked away, but he seems to be disinterested at times.  I'm sure it's just a wrong reading of his body language.

Had a great chance in the box tonight, but too lethargic with the shot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I actually think putting Pukki into that 10 role is the way to get he and the Sarg in the same starting line up

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Give toddy another contract, he is streets ahead of Dowell and I was scratching my head as to why he didn’t start last night 

Do you think he would sign a new contract? 

• Thanks 1

He had a poor game last night. 

He's surprisingly poor in the air for a big lad and also lacks physicality. He's also very one-footed and slow. 

Apart from this, I like him. 

Cantwell's a much better player, now he's back in the game. 

9 hours ago, Keith Scott said:

4 games played, 4 wins 

yours faithfully, Yobocop 

He's a player that if you give him time and space will create chances, so opponents have to be wary of him, which is a good thing and perhaps why he is getting starts in the team.  He looks to me to be still not 100% fit/confident after his injuries and will probably improve the more games he gets.

As someone else said, four starts, four wins.....must count for something and it's worth persevering with a player if you think he has got something to give if you stick with him. And he does create chances and we've seen him score good goals.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

He has his moments, decent footballer who manages to keep his head above the waterline, as far as performances go.

Never particularly outstanding. Never particularly dire. His contribution to last night's match, although short of his best, nevertheless summed up his overall contribution at the club since he's been here. OK.

For me, any starting line-up, even in the Chumps, with Dowell in it spells a hint of the ordinary as it is quite difficult to pin his contribution down to anything particularly noteworthy.

Fair skills without dazzling. A playmaker of sorts and in flashes. Decent work rate without breaking sweat. Can score, but misses more often.

A Norwich City player? Does it matter that much? Perhaps the fact that many of us fail to get particularly excited about Keiran Dowell reflects the fairly high level of performers who have worn the yellow and who we have been privy to in recent years.

Dowell is inconsistent and suffers from poor body language but at the same he is more than capable of influencing games at this level and has proved that already this season.

If were dependent on Dowell I would be worried but we are not. We don’t have anyone as good as Emi or Maddison who could dominate games at this level consistently. What we are numerous players who can influence games at this level at times Dowell, Sinani, Cantwell, Hernandez, Rashica etc.. we just have to hope that we have enough of them to paper over the inconsistency.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He's a player that if you give him time and space will create chances, so opponents have to be wary of him, which is a good thing and perhaps why he is getting starts in the team.  He looks to me to be still not 100% fit/confident after his injuries and will probably improve the more games he gets.

As someone else said, four starts, four wins.....must count for something and it's worth persevering with a player if you think he has got something to give if you stick with him. And he does create chances and we've seen him score good goals.

A lot of what you say in the post makes sense. He is probably still getting up to speed, but in my view there are better options in the team at the moment. Smith seems to like sticking with pretty much the same team and relying on the bench to turn a game if necessary. I dont necessarily agree with that approach, but my starting 11 compared to his are different by 3/4 players, but with that said we're second in the league currently, but they'll be far better teams we play this season than the ones we have played thus far.

He's the type of player that looks good when there isn't an opposition but get in his face and take a little bit if him and the ball and he tends to become invisible.

He might be a better option off the bench once the game has slowed down and there is more space, but on the back of his 2 recent performances, he shouldn't be starting.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's the type of player that looks good when there isn't an opposition but get in his face and take a little bit if him and the ball and he tends to become invisible.

He might be a better option off the bench once the game has slowed down and there is more space, but on the back of his 2 recent performances, he shouldn't be starting.

Teams in the championship tend to press and harass/bully the opposition which really doesnt suit his game well. If you afford him time on the ball he is dangerous, but essentially he needs to adapt his game or lose his place in the team. Cantwell offers more energy and more creativeness anyways in my view and should be starting ahead of Dowell.

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Teams in the championship tend to press and harass/bully the opposition which really doesnt suit his game well. If you afford him time on the ball he is dangerous, but essentially he needs to adapt his game or lose his place in the team. Cantwell offers more energy and more creativeness anyways in my view and should be starting ahead of Dowell.

Cantwell falls over more....

21 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Cantwell falls over more....

More freekicks for Cantwell then 🙂

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Give toddy another contract, he is streets ahead of Dowell and I was scratching my head as to why he didn’t start last night 

Shows how much football fans differ in opinion.. Dowell is a much better all round player IMO. 

We tend to win when Dowell plays, not so much when it’s Cantwell instead.

14 hours ago, Keith Scott said:

Crikey, this is a very unusual post by Scottie. I guess as it looks Delia's time as majority shareholder is in sight, the team are propelling us to potential promotion, he decides to turn his attention to undermining individual players. Such a lovely chap, and one of the "great" Norwich supporters!

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

We tend to win when Dowell plays, not so much when it’s Cantwell instead.

I'd like to see Todd start, but I think he's better to have up your sleeve as a sub than Dowell who's probably a safer option to start with.

Last two matches we've taken the lead since Cantwell came on, however.   So, you could look at that two ways and think that Smith is making hard work of things, or that he's playing his cards very well in games.

Either way, I'm not going to be over-critical.  I really enjoy the the strength we have on the bench in the later periods.

Of course it could well be that if last nights starters had been subs they would have made the same difference against opposition who tire and don't have so much quality on the bench.