fredherring

Four wins, top of the league, but...

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So last night was solid? My goodness what were you watching?

Smith said after Sunderland that it was time for £12M Sara to start. He was a sub again. When Teemu and Todd came on at Sunderland we looked far more solid. And the same when Kenny came into midfield from LB. Yet last night you could be any more anti Kenny if you tried.

The very obvious proof on the pitch last night was that something isn't right. We should never be in any trouble against a side like Birmingham. They had nothing except Williams raiding down our left. And we could have prevented that.

Some of you seem to think people enjoying commenting negatively. I say what I see. And last night I was treated to an hour's worth of tripe. And that some of you have a monopoly on loving the Club. Nothing is further from the truth.

But under Farke we were in trouble against sides like Birmingham, at the same points in the season, despite having Emi and Skipp. We only beat Birmingham 1-0 at home thanks to a red card and last minute winner.

We only beat Rotherham away thanks to a red card, own goal and penalty.

This is the weird, bordering on insane double-standards that has me sitting here defending Smith almost every match, even though I'm not personally some huge lover of Smith!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

But under Farke we were in trouble against sides like Birmingham, at the same points in the season, despite having Emi and Skipp. We only beat Birmingham 1-0 at home thanks to a red card and last minute winner.

We only beat Rotherham away thanks to a red card, own goal and penalty.

This is the weird, bordering on insane double-standards that has me sitting here defending Smith almost every match, even though I'm not personally some huge lover of Smith!

And no doubt I had some negative things to say at the time about that game. But I am convinced that DF turned things around quite quickly. I don't have the same confidence in Deano. If he is a lucky coach then fair enough. But I just do not appreciate his coaching and tactics and style I can't fathom. Lets just say I had confidence that in the EFL, DF was going to ultimately entertain and win.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So last night was solid? My goodness what were you watching?

Yes. We were the better team that fell behind to a lucky goal and should have had a penalty. We weren't amazing but we were solidly the better team and the win was merited by the performance. 

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Smith said after Sunderland that it was time for £12M Sara to start

Did he? Can't find a quote to back this up.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

When Teemu and Todd came on at Sunderland we looked far more solid.

Teemu and Todd also started in our disappointing start to the season- it isn't like he's refused to play them.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He is there to make the decisions. And for me, he is making too many wrong ones. As I have said many times, 5 subs means you can correct your glaring mistakes early on

Making subs is part of being a manager. It seems weird to judge him solely on the decisions he's made at the start and refuse to give him credit for the decisions he's made in game and largely it seems to be driven by your own dislike of him. 

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The desperation to not be wrong having only come back to this forum to slate Dean Smith at every conceivable moment is hilarious.

Watching you wriggle and write on this forum, absolutely priceless.

Why are you stalking me? you really are very strange and your comments don't seem to make any sense whatsoever. (how and what am I wriggling about?)

I notice you stop corresponding on most threads when people get the better of you (normally me! 🙂 ) then you turn up on other threads trying to start something again, be made to look a fool again then repeat and repeat and repeat zzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

I'm really sick of all these abusive posts aimed at anyone who questioned Farke's sacking or views Dean Smith unfavourably, and even more sick of the people who keep up voting them.

This forum can have some excellent debates when people are able to articulate opposing views with courtesy and respect. The name calling and vitriol degrade the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting comments on this thread, my two penneth for what it's worth...

In all the time I've been watching football it's very unusual for a team to play well and fluidly early in a season, especially if new players are coming in. You also have to factor in players mentalities - given we've yo-yoed for two seasons, I think some of the old guard may understandably be thinking elsewhere - I'm thinking Krul, Hanley Pukki here, pretty much our spine.

What I'm trying to say is what I've seen on the pitch so far hasn't surprised me, many of the players know they are good for this level, some may thinking about their futures, others such as big Andy O, Nunez and Sara have it all to prove, it's an interesting mixture and it's not going to click all at once.

Look at the goals we've conceded so far - no one has really opened us up, I accept Sunderland were close to this on Saturday, but most opposition are happy to sit in and hope to nick something - I think Hayden will tighten us up further in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, I have some concerns, but I think Deano's doing alright so far. It's not Farkeball, but I'm willing to give Deanoball a chance

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Segura said:

In all the time I've been watching football it's very unusual for a team to play well and fluidly early in a season, especially if new players are coming in. You also have to factor in players mentalities - given we've yo-yoed for two seasons, I think some of the old guard may understandably be thinking elsewhere - I'm thinking Krul, Hanley Pukki here, pretty much our spine.

What I'm trying to say is what I've seen on the pitch so far hasn't surprised me, many of the players know they are good for this level, some may thinking about their futures, others such as big Andy O, Nunez and Sara have it all to prove, it's an interesting mixture and it's not going to click all at once.

Look at the goals we've conceded so far - no one has really opened us up, I accept Sunderland were close to this on Saturday, but most opposition are happy to sit in and hope to nick something - I think Hayden will tighten us up further in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, I have some concerns, but I think Deano's doing alright so far. It's not Farkeball, but I'm willing to give Deanoball a chance

Seems reasonable to me Segura.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fredherring said:

Still the pinkun moaning turds want Smith out. 

After spending all day whining about Bournemouth sacking their manager. 

Absolutely idiotic. This forum has become a sad little club for a pathetic group of little men. 

Dean Smith doingthe business and anyone wanting him out is an imbecile. 

OH Dear  A FEW  wins and you are on a high horse-  I say give him a little longer then make a informed polite comment yes he doing well but please give it to christmas and see where we are at 

27 minutes ago, Segura said:

Think this is an excellent summary.

The defensive solidity is such a key point. I'm yet to see us concede a goal where the hasn't been some element of either a mistake from us or a large slice of luck, apart from maybe the Huddersfield one and this is despite having a cast of random players at left back. Adding Hayden also will hopefully free Nunez and even Aarons up to be a bit more attacking. 

There are challenges and the attacking play isn't fluid enough yet but there is enough there to be positive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

There are challenges and the attacking play isn't fluid enough yet but there is enough there to be positive. 

I'm in agreement with this, and whilst I certainly not in the Smith out camp, I don't idolise him either, but results are the name of the game, and he has 4 on the bounce.

17 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I'm in agreement with this, and whilst I certainly not in the Smith out camp, I don't idolise him either, but results are the name of the game, and he has 4 on the bounce.

Yeah and don't get me wrong I'm not idolizing him either- I've just found some of the criticism to be disingenuous at best. 

• Like 1

Most football fans are very fickle - win and the manager and team are great, lose and they are crap who should never appear again. We have more than our fair share of such insighful observers.

Fo my part, I regard a team that plays badly and wins as one that is resilient and likely to prove successful. How many times did Liverpool in the 70s and 80s do just that? There is no virtue in playing really well yet lose although there will be the odd occasions that happens. What we can be sure of is that other clubs in the Championship are looking at us and wondering if we are on the road to another promotion.

2 hours ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Why are you stalking me? you really are very strange and your comments don't seem to make any sense whatsoever. (how and what am I wriggling about?)

I notice you stop corresponding on most threads when people get the better of you (normally me! 🙂 ) then you turn up on other threads trying to start something again, be made to look a fool again then repeat and repeat and repeat zzzzzzzzz

I stop responding to you because I quickly remember you come across as pretty unstable in your vitriol towards Smith. I've never known a poster to be signed up since 2009 but only start posting upon the appointment of a manager in 2021. Very unusual. Occasionally I forget and then respond to you, but then I remember.

2 hours ago, Segura said:

Good post, not much to disagree with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'm really sick of all these abusive posts aimed at anyone who questioned Farke's sacking or views Dean Smith unfavourably, and even more sick of the people who keep up voting them.

This forum can have some excellent debates when people are able to articulate opposing views with courtesy and respect. The name calling and vitriol degrade the whole thing.

There's been very, very little name-calling beyond the OP although i've been called all sorts of things for previously daring to vaguely defend the parts of Smiths management that have been totally fabricated.

I recently looked up my very first post on this board, from September 2004. We'd recently been promoted to the PL after a ten-year absence

It contains the sentence "I can't believe how much gloom and doom there is around."

So not much changes. The only real difference, 18 years later, is that now I can believe it.

@hogesar

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I recently looked up my very first post on this board, from September 2004. We'd recently been promoted to the PL after a ten-year absence

It contains the sentence "I can't believe how much gloom and doom there is around."

So not much changes. The only real difference, 18 years later, is that now I can believe it.

@hogesar

Time is a flat cicle or whatever

17 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

@hogesar

If you want real contrast, my posting history as an impatient, uninformed youth was full of Delia Out demands!

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If you want real contrast, my posting history as an impatient, uninformed youth was full of Delia Out demands!

I believe my reason to sign up was to tell everyone that Strihavka could well replace Ibrahimovic given his ability to do it all. He could come short, run in behind, or use his height- boy did he have it all 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

This is the most accurate sentence this forum has ever seen. I'll admit I've done the same although generally speaking you'll see in this example I was critical of sacking Farke for Smith for a few days before I bothered to undertake some more genuine research into his history and pretty sure stumbled upon a video of him giving a speech to Uni students. 

I also thought after the first two games that Sargent was going to offer absolutely nothing worthwhile at this level beyond his workrate and physicality. It turns out I appear to be wrong there too!

But because Smith is starting to prove doubters wrong, they're bending themselves backwards to try and make up reasons why they must still be right, despite evidence stacking up to the contrary.

Agree with you. When one thinks about it, it was a massively brave decision to play Sargant up front as the lone striker. We had never seen Sargant in this role before and it was like the ugly duckling turning into a swan in terms of the effect it had on the team and our performance and results. His substitutions seem to now be working better than many previous managers - one criticism of Farke was that his substitutions were too little and too late. Four games ago we were bottom of the table, now we are second. That has to be seen as improvement. 

Edited by Rock The Boat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

Well said……… kn0b 🤣

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Agree with you. When one thinks about it, it was a massively brave decision to play Sargant up front as the loan striker. We had never seen Sargant in this role before and it was like the ugly duckling turning into a swan in terms of the effect it had on the team and our performance and results. His substitutions seem to now be working better than many previous managers - one criticism of Farke was that his substitutions were too little and too late. Four games ago we were bottom of the table, now we are second. That has to be seen as improvement. 

I think Sarge is our player RTB.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I stop responding to you because I quickly remember you come across as pretty unstable in your vitriol towards Smith. I've never known a poster to be signed up since 2009 but only start posting upon the appointment of a manager in 2021. Very unusual. Occasionally I forget and then respond to you, but then I remember.

Ha ha, your the one who stalks me on pretty much every thread, of course you forget but then remember!!! 👌

You really are a very strange person indeed, 2009 was it I first signed up? You weirdly know more than me, actually, your right, thinking about it I do remember back in 2009 having a vision that in about 13 years we will employ Dean smith so I best make an account so I’m ready to (in your words)  “ come across as unstable in my Vitriol toward him” 🤣😂🙈 

Edited by wheres my rebate gone?

6 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

You really are a very strange person indeed, 2009 was it I first signed up? You weirdly know more than me

You only have to click on name of the poster or their avatar mate, simples.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Ha ha, your the one who stalks me on pretty much every thread, of course you forget but then remember!!! 👌

You really are a very strange person indeed, 2009 was it I first signed up? You weirdly know more than me, actually, your right, thinking about it I do remember back in 2009 having a vision that in about 13 years we will employ Dean smith so I best make an account so I’m ready to (in your words)  “ come across as unstable in my Vitriol toward him” 🤣😂🙈 

A veritable volcano.........dormant for years ........and then🧨🧨

17 hours ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

As I said, I thought (and most did), It was a poor performance and boring to watch, I actually watch football to enjoy it! 

If you, or anyone else for that matter, go to watch or pay to watch football entirely on the basis that you have an expectation and right to enjoy it, you don't quite understand how sport works.

A poor performance isn't always a boring one. We had poor performances under Farke... with Onel coming off the bench with less than ten minutes to go to help us turn around the game and win. Those last minutes were worth it even if the previous 80 odd weren't.

I'll write to the club and ask them to hand out bells, whistles and tambourines for the next performance to ensure it isn't too boring for you. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Segura said:

Really good post. If you're right about the bit I've put in bold, hopefully the closing of the transfer window will help people settle down a bit. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

If you, or anyone else for that matter, go to watch or pay to watch football entirely on the basis that you have an expectation and right to enjoy it, you don't quite understand how sport works.

A poor performance isn't always a boring one. We had poor performances under Farke... with Onel coming off the bench with less than ten minutes to go to help us turn around the game and win. Those last minutes were worth it even if the previous 80 odd weren't.

I'll write to the club and ask them to hand out bells, whistles and tambourines for the next performance to ensure it isn't too boring for you. 

Why are all you Smith fans so obsessed with Farke? 🤔

I pay my money, I like to enjoy a game of football, sorry about that!