Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Should kick off times move?

For lower league, non league clubs I can see it happening, didn't Tranmere used to move home games to a Friday to try to pick up everton/Liverpool Fans?

Would never happen in the prem, as earlier kick off times wouldn't suit China,US,etc tv schedules

44 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I remember watching the Inter Milan UEFA cup game one afternoon in school. 

I'm against earlier kick offs on a Saturday but only as I have to work till about 1 and will miss them. Generally tho it seems a pretty solid idea. 

Was that not the away leg?

48 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Away Leg V Bayern as certainly in the afternoon.  

Edit: apparently not after some online research. 

Edited by Greavsy

11 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I remember this and yes it was, kick off I think was about 4pm?  I wanted to go to Milan for this, but I was working on a tight deadline on an urgent re-financing of a company at work, so couldn't get leave. Then to my absolute frustration, the FD of the target company invited me to watch it with him in his office whilst I "supposedly" asked him loads of due diligence questions. Of course I accepted but really .....

19 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Has anyone had a reply from the club after complaining about the new lights, try sitting half way up the South stand and going home with a headache

The Club's just probably taking a dim view regarding the fan's criticism of the newly installed overly bright lights.... 

6 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The Club's just probably taking a dim view regarding the fan's criticism of the newly installed overly bright lights.... 

Cant mention brightness on here without a reference to THAT thread. 

If you know, you know! 

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

My recollection is that during the Power strike all games kicked off early. 2pm-2.30pm.

I don't remember any midweek games at that time other than the Xmas period ie Boxing Day and New Years Day and they were certainly early kick offs. As for the Spurs game, no I have no memory of that.

The last mideeek afternoon kick off that I have a strong recollection  of was a cup replay v Swindon, way back in 1958.

Last midweek afternoon kick off at Carrow Road was Wednesday 16 January 1974, 1.30pm v Millwall, League Cup quarter final replay.

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Last midweek afternoon kick off at Carrow Road was Wednesday 16 January 1974, 1.30pm v Millwall, League Cup quarter final replay.

The 1974 game must have been scheduled then because of the power blackouts. ( we must have won as I went to the 2nd leg of the SF at Molyneaux )

Ricardo has a good memory as there was an afternoon FA Cup 2nd Round replay v Swindon in 1958. KO was 2pm on Thursday 11 December. A relative of mine was born on that day and paid a tidy sum on eBay to get hold of the programme.

Trivia corner......A late neighbour of mine played for Swindon in the first match but missed the Carrow Rd game through injury and it was also the day Chris Hughton was born.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

On 30/08/2022 at 18:51, A Load of Squit said:

Given the increase in electricity prices should clubs start games early to avoid using floodlights?

As costs for businesses does not have a cap it must be a financial drain for clubs in the lower leagues, possibly some Championship clubs.

As of 2020, the power used by LED lights to light a football field to international standard cost about £20 per match..  If prices quadruple, make that £80.  I doubt they will be kicking off early for that sort of saving.

https://tachyonlight.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-football-flood-lights/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The 1974 game must have been scheduled then because of the power blackouts. ( we must have won as I went to the 2nd leg of the SF at Molyneaux )

Ricardo has a good memory as there was an afternoon FA Cup 2nd Round replay v Swindon in 1958. KO was 2pm on Thursday 11 December. A relative of mine was born on that day and paid a tidy sum on eBay to get hold of the programme.

Trivia corner......A late neighbour of mine played for Swindon in the first match but missed the Carrow Rd game through injury and it was also the day Chris Hughton was born.

I have no recollection  of the Millwall game so I was probably at work. For the Swindon game I got off school early and saw most of the second half including Crossans goal at the Barclay end.

4 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes. Floodlighting from the National Grid was denied apart from Boxing Day thereby leading to early kick offs from 17 November to 16 February inclusive. The Millwall match was a 2-1 win. The first leg of the Semi-Final at Carrow Road the following  Wednesday was a 7.45pm kick off due to the Club hiring a generator. The second leg at Molyneaux was played the following Saturday with a 2pm kick off due to both teams having exited the FA Cup.

47 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Yes. Floodlighting from the National Grid was denied apart from Boxing Day thereby leading to early kick offs from 17 November to 16 February inclusive. The Millwall match was a 2-1 win. The first leg of the Semi-Final at Carrow Road the following  Wednesday was a 7.45pm kick off due to the Club hiring a generator. The second leg at Molyneaux was played the following Saturday with a 2pm kick off due to both teams having exited the FA Cup.

Yes, I recall the Wolves Semi final game, 1-1 I think Ian Mellor scored our goal. He was a very tall and gangly winger and father of Neil Mellor ex Liverpool. I think Derek Duggan scored for Wolves.

Just been reported that the EFL are having a meeting next week about the increase in energy prices and one of the options being discussed will 1pm kick-offs on Saturdays.

They also stated that all options will be discussed.

On 01/09/2022 at 10:22, glory.win or die. said:

For lower league, non league clubs I can see it happening, didn't Tranmere used to move home games to a Friday to try to pick up everton/Liverpool Fans?

Would never happen in the prem, as earlier kick off times wouldn't suit China,US,etc tv schedules

Not sure on Tranmere, but Chester certainly used to play on a Friday night regularly in the early 00s, have a feeling that might have been to do with the races too though

Edited by kick it off

More later games would be great now that the nights are drawing in.....Get down to Carra as soon as the gates open and top up your tan under the new floodlights.....It'll help those who may unfortunately suffer from Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)....

31 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Not sure on Tranmere, but Chester certainly used to play on a Friday night regularly in the early 00s, have a feeling that might have been to do with the races too though

When you’re competing against Liverpool and Everton you do all you can to get a few more punters through the gates and I think all Tranmere weekend games at Preston Park we’re played then. I don’t think they do now.

When it’s Grand National day Everton and Liverpool used to play any home match on the Friday but that probably had more to do with policing and traffic control

Edited by ......and Smith must score.