Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Should kick off times move?

Given the increase in electricity prices should clubs start games early to avoid using floodlights?

As costs for businesses does not have a cap it must be a financial drain for clubs in the lower leagues, possibly some Championship clubs.

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Given the increase in electricity prices should clubs start games early to avoid using floodlights?

As costs for businesses does not have a cap it must be a financial drain for clubs in the lower leagues, possibly some Championship clubs.

Only if anyone attending gets let's off work early . I'm self employed but I feel for you that aren't .

Edited by wcorkcanary

They put the floodlights on early as f@&k at Carrow road even on 3pm fixtures sometimes

Always assumed it’s some stupid FA rule and **** is going to come round counting the lumen level

Just now, PockthorpePete said:

As they are being played in the evening to suit FIFA/Qatar, perhaps the latter could help out.

Appreciate that there's lots of midweek games due to the World Cup but weekend games could move.

Clubs in lower leagues have been given permission by the FA to bring kick off times forward for that reason. I was at a game a couple of weeks ago and a generator came on to run the floodlights, diesel seems to be cheaper 

Well we've just signed up with some company to provide a pre match lightshow. Doesn't sound as if the club are that bothered!

LED lights use a fraction of the old lightbulbs so when with all the new lights and fancy show we're probably still using much less overall 

30 minutes ago, AJ said:

LED lights use a fraction of the old lightbulbs so when with all the new lights and fancy show we're probably still using much less overall 

But still more than is necessary. 

People are struggling to eat / heat their homes, and the football club having lighting excess just rubs their noses in it. 

But as I said during the pandemic it's different rules for football. But remember its good for social well being! 

48 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Clubs in lower leagues have been given permission by the FA to bring kick off times forward for that reason. I was at a game a couple of weeks ago and a generator came on to run the floodlights, diesel seems to be cheaper 

I saw a report the other day saying that running an electric car on expected rates come October is going to make it dearer than a fueled one. Not sure of the maths, and I'm sure there are some examples that would prove both stats correct. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Only if anyone attending gets let's off work early . I'm self employed but I feel for you that aren't .

Im sure you'd let your staff off early Corkio, nice responsible employer like yourself! ūüėä ūüė䬆

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Im sure you'd let your staff off early Corkio, nice responsible employer like yourself! ūüėäūüė䬆

Not a chance, my vetting process ensures none of the plebs have any interests outside of keeping their jobs...and homes( but only in winter as the tied cottages are a  useful revenue stream in summer as Air bnb... Plebs camp in the Cumquat orchard in the Summer)   .

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Apologies for being in the wrong section but this is important.

Everyone should run this to find out how much your bills will be increasing, it's frightening. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/what-are-the-price-cap-unit-rates-/#tool

Bad times, seems like it's basically doubling in cost just as winter arrives. Hopefully our football team can provide us with some joy at least.

Back in the mists of time when I was a boy the winter kick off time reverted to 2.15pm when the clocks went back. Any midweek football was played in the afternoon. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Greavsy said:

But still more than is necessary. 

People are struggling to eat / heat their homes, and the football club having lighting excess just rubs their noses in it. 

But as I said during the pandemic it's different rules for football. But remember its good for social well being! 

Come on, the club didn't know that there would be an energy crisis when they started the process of installing the new lights.  Bit of a weird thing to attack them on, unless this is tongue in cheek which I hope it was.

Fair point - they didn't when installed - agreed. 

but doesn't mean they have to use them all. I'm sure if they use every other light, it would still give enough light for a match. Even just the floodlights, like in the old days! and if they save money overall then a win win.  

My son usually sits two blocks nearer to the City stand than me, in the N&P upper. for the Millwall game (i think it was) he sat with us, more centrally, and commented on how bright the lights were and he hadn't noticed them from his usual seat. 

Why is everything that people dont agree with, viewed as an attack? wasnt an attack on the club, just my view. 

Well I hope they don't mess around with kickoff times tbh. Having the footy and the pre and post match social arrangements is something to look forward to in these fcuking miserable times.

Anyway it will soon be more expensive to heat your home and watch the game on TV then it will be to buy a ticket for the match!

This forum will become a financial drain for those who spend all day on here what with the cost of charging their devices ūüėČ

Eon want over £500 a month out of me. That's just taking the ****.

I saw an interesting comment / tweet from someone the other day. 

With these industries all going on strike and evidently if they all get the increases they are campaigning for  it will damaging to the economy / country as it will increase inflation. However this (unknown person) asked why are the govt doing nothing (or very little) about the utility bill increases that will, theoretically have the same affect. 

Maybe the ministers are holding shares in the utility companies? 

30 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I saw an interesting comment / tweet from someone the other day. 

With these industries all going on strike and evidently if they all get the increases they are campaigning for  it will damaging to the economy / country as it will increase inflation. However this (unknown person) asked why are the govt doing nothing (or very little) about the utility bill increases that will, theoretically have the same affect. 

Maybe the ministers are holding shares in the utility companies? 

MPs get donations/second jobs with energy companies.

Nadhim Zahawi, the Conservative MP for Stratford-on-Avon, received more than £1m from fossil fuel companies, all of it declared and legitimate. Zahawi spent much of his parliamentary career working as chief strategy officer for Gulf Keystone Petroleum, which paid him £52,325 in backpay in October 2015 and a monthly salary of £20,000 from October 2015, rising to almost £30,000 a month in August 2017, and some £330,000 in bonus payments. He stopped working for the company on becoming a government minister in 2018 (at which time he received a final payment of £116,000).

He also declared shareholdings in Genel Energy, an Anglo-Turkish oil and gas exploration and production company, and a donation from Amjad Bseisu, the chief executive of the UK-based oil company EnQuest.

Until August 2015 the former oil exploration company Afren and the former Canadian oil company Talisman, which was a major producer from the Alberta tar sands, were clients of Zahawi & Zahawi, a business advisory service.

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

but doesn't mean they have to use them all. I'm sure if they use every other light, it would still give enough light for a match. Even just the floodlights, like in the old days! and if they save money overall then a win win.  

My son usually sits two blocks nearer to the City stand than me, in the N&P upper. for the Millwall game (i think it was) he sat with us, more centrally, and commented on how bright the lights were and he hadn't noticed them from his usual seat. 

Why is everything that people dont agree with, viewed as an attack? wasnt an attack on the club, just my view. 

Has anyone had a reply from the club after complaining about the new lights, try sitting half way up the South stand and going home with a headache

18 hours ago, Greavsy said:

They are extremely bright, on that we are agreed.  It has been fed back to the club as well, but that hasn't seemed to have made much of a difference.

I saw it as an attack because in your own words, apparently the club having the lights on rubs peoples 'noses in it', that's obviously not the intention at all.

18 hours ago, ricardo said:

Back in the mists of time when I was a boy the winter kick off time reverted to 2.15pm when the clocks went back. Any midweek football was played in the afternoon. 

Do you remember playing Spurs midweek in the afternoon due to power cuts? Or am I just imagining it? 

29 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

They are extremely bright, on that we are agreed.  It has been fed back to the club as well, but that hasn't seemed to have made much of a difference.

I saw it as an attack because in your own words, apparently the club having the lights on rubs peoples 'noses in it', that's obviously not the intention at all.

Yep, and I stand by that. It's the club having excessive lights on that aren't necessary. 

As quoted below, has the club provided any feedback on this issue? Or are we being left in the dark again? 

16 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Has anyone had a reply from the club after complaining about the new lights, try sitting half way up the South stand and going home with a headache

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Do you remember playing Spurs midweek in the afternoon due to power cuts? Or am I just imagining it? 

My recollection is that during the Power strike all games kicked off early. 2pm-2.30pm.

I don't remember any midweek games at that time other than the Xmas period ie Boxing Day and New Years Day and they were certainly early kick offs. As for the Spurs game, no I have no memory of that.

The last mideeek afternoon kick off that I have a strong recollection  of was a cup replay v Swindon, way back in 1958.

25 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Yep, and I stand by that. It's the club having excessive lights on that aren't necessary. 

As quoted below, has the club provided any feedback on this issue? Or are we being left in the dark again? 

Nothing beyond that they've taken our feedback on board.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The last mideeek afternoon kick off that I have a strong recollection  of was a cup replay v Swindon, way back in 1958.

I remember watching the Inter Milan UEFA cup game one afternoon in school. 

I'm against earlier kick offs on a Saturday but only as I have to work till about 1 and will miss them. Generally tho it seems a pretty solid idea.