Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Ross Barkley Anyone ?

Ross Barkley is one of the biggest examples I can think of in a player failing to fulfil potential. When he's on his game virtually unplayable. Otherwise non-existent. Had injuries in the past and now Sam is off the treatment table (for now) there's a physios bench free, so could do a job 😁

9 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I wander if fat frank night try to entice him back to Everton.

I love it when underachievers think they’re somehow patronising one of the most decorated English players ever by calling him ‘Fat Frank’.  The irony seems to get lost on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many of these extremely highly paid players actually miss playing football.

I believe that had something to do with the moves away from Manchester City of Sterland and Jesus. Moving away from the Champions must have been a difficult decision even though their game time would be greatly reduced with Haarland now there.

It must be very frustrating to miss the buzz, the publicity, the crowds and the adoration of the fans.

With the amount of money they must have earned during their careers is money their sole reason for joining a club?

I would imagine Jesus and Sterling will enjoy their football, and their lives, a lot more this season even if the money is not quite as much (it's probably more!).

How much does what must be a rich footballer, Barkley, want to play football? And would he take a big pay cut to do that?

23 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I wander if fat frank night try to entice him back to Everton.

I think he's learned his lesson with Dele Alli.

If financial realities have set in for him to the extent that he becomes a potential signing for us, then why not? I'd agree with pay-as-you-play, but his class and background make me think he'll find a more solid contract elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely he is on a free to enable him to negotiate top wages.

I've told you before KGD there is no place for solid facts on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm sure he would love to drop down to the championship AND take a pay cut to 20-30 grand a week to play for us..🙃

Another let’s do this business post. 

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm sure he would love to drop down to the championship AND take a pay cut to 20-30 grand a week to play for us..🙃

How is he taking a pay cut when he earns nothing currently having been released from Chelsea? 

Groundhog Day 

always a load of mugs thinking we can land a released guy on huge wages

I can remember people wanting to sign Michael Owen on the famous “pay as you play” contract that doesn’t exist 😂😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Don't think your subliminal messagess will work on here! 

• Haha 1

Wouldn’t say no to signing him on a pay as you play, it’s just I still can’t see how we would be able to afford his wages - would he really be inclined to accept wages of 20-30k p/w?

I think we're pretty much well stocked in the AM position any way. I hope he doesn't go to one of our rivals though.

I'm surprised Forest haven't signed him.

• Haha 1

You know, it's not really surprising to me when players get hyped up do much as youngsters, that they have a "fall from grace" period around mid twenties. Outliers remain consistent throughout most of their careers, and their dips in form are relatively soft. That mix of strength of mindset + humility is rare.

What really impresses me are those who are late bloomers eg. Vardy, Pukki, most of them have a really strong teamwork ethic, and don't stop to admire themselves in the mirror. Here's a big part of the reason I never really liked CR7.

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Groundhog Day 

I can remember people wanting to sign Michael Owen on the famous “pay as you play” contract that doesn’t exist 😂😂

I think putting Owen (Balon d’or) winner in the same bracket as Barkley is quite flattering for Ross.

Ross had potential, did he ever really turned that into tangible performance at Chelsea?

Edited by Newtopia

2 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

I'd rather have Gnarls Barkley!

that would also be crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

I liked this. Seemed to go unnoticed so I’ll give you a heart for the effort 

Barkley is a strange one. Probably an example of going “too big, too soon”. All those years ago, he was the outstanding player on the pitch when that ball hit RVW on the head and went in.

Problem with joining a “giant”, especially as a homegrown player is that you’re maybe not ticking the box you thought. Maybe someone will take a chance on him, he’s not that old, there’s obvious talent but what have these years done to him mentally?

Chelsea also signed that lad from Leicester (Drinkwater?) and it basically finished him didn’t it? I suppose his money is still in the bank but as others have alluded to, you don’t get those years back or the appearances you’ve missed out on.

I thought both Maddison and Emi could have gone “higher”, yet Maddison is - for the most part - key to Leicester, Emi has seen the managers pal come in and rarely starts, much to the apparent chagrin of the support. I dunno, I guess it’s always a gamble, some teams/players just fit and others don’t. Although I have a nagging, if illogical, gut feeling that in some cases these BIG clubs like Chelsea and Man City snap up players so that others can’t… but nobody has THAT big of a budget, do they? 

4 hours ago, Greavsy said:

How is he taking a pay cut when he earns nothing currently having been released from Chelsea? 

To be fair, they came to an agreement to release him from his contract. That usually means some sort of financial arrangement... eg a pay-off.

We have to assume this was agreeable to him. Which means there is some motivation, whether that be in seek of more game time, or perhaps bigger? With the world cup coming up it could be to showcase his ability for a spot in the England squad again.

He'll be premier league bound or equivalent. Brighton, Palace, Southampton, Forest... I could see him going to a number of teams that he could bring something to if he is able to recapture form. Not sure he'd drop down a level yet.