Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Those with One Year Left...

McGovern, Byram, McLean, Dowell, Cantwell, Hernandez, Hugill, Sinani and Pukki all have 12 months remaining on their contracts.

Let's assume that we had one foot back in the PL come March... whose contract would we be looking to renew? It's an interesting one because they're all decent players, yet they've all been part of a squad that's proven to be not good enough for the Premier League.

I'd be tempted to keep Pukki, Byram, McLean and Cantwell, if he can re-establish himself this season.

I've got a lot of time for the other players, but we have to be realistic this time and not be too loyal.

Pukki will be a year older and I’d hope we’d be in a position to buy another striker to push for a start. 

Cantwell won’t be here, I doubt as he won’t sign an extension.

McLean could (and use could very loosely) be a squad player but if he’s relied upon  again I’ll be crying in the beer of a drunk man. 

Same with Byram.

I’d hope some lessons would have been learned about signing players after last summers shambles too. But let’s worry about all this should we go up. Long season ahead. 

Depends on what league we're likely to be in. If it's EPL then with the exception of Pukki and possibly Cantwell, none of those players are good enough. I'd be tempted to get rid of all 9 tbh. 

Slightly different matter if we're stil languishing in  the Chump, but if they fail to get us promoted then again there's an argument for getting rid of most of them.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 1

Onel Hernandez should get a 3 year contract. Impact sub, oozes passion, oves the club, speaks Spanish to Nunez. 

If we don't keep Onel we are simply doing it wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

but if they fail to get us promoted then again there's an argument for getting rid of most of them.

I fear that finances would make this a necessity anyway in that scenario. 

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I fear that finances would make this a necessity anyway in that scenario. 

Notwithstanding investment from Attansio should he make it??

I think Sinani has been showing some quality, so would include him in addition to Pukki and Cantwell. Maybe Dowell as well, as he is still young enough to take next step.

Dowell is at best a Champs player, same with McLean and both too inconsistent.   Fundamentally, they don’t have the natural skills to step up, Dowell not quite quick enough and Kennys not alert, reacts to late and can’t compete in the middle!   Hugill is nowhere near the level and wouldn’t be here if West Ham hadn’t spent a ridiculous £10m on him….. completely bamboozled our scouts that did!    

Need to be developing our players now if we have any expectations of promotion, (Sara, Sinani, getting Cantwell back on board, Hernandez etc), not Villas players.  Time to bring a younger keeper through and Byram makes sense as a back up cover!

Thus we have 3 days or January to offload some for a fee.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

If we go up, none of them. If we are staying in the champs, then still not Cantwell, McGovern, Hernandez, Hugill or McLean. Byram would need to stay fit to be considered in keeping, but the rest, it depends on how they do this season, for me.

Edited by JB

31 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

?????

Read the topic....

McGovern - I think we can all agree he will retire next summer, as he’s been working on becoming a coach and 38 as it is

Hugill - I’d definitely say no to

Byram - I think he’s debatable because of his fitness issues

McLean - Already 30 and not PL quality. A first team regular though, so would keep him

Hernandez - Still only 29, but not PL quality and seems to have fallen out of favour. Would replace him with Rowe

Sinani - Would keep him as he’s looked quite impressive recently 

Cantwell - Would keep him, the whole question is whether he would be inclined to sign a new contract though

Dowell - Only signed him 2 years ago, and is still young. Would keep him

Pukki - Although I was originally considering offering him a new one I think I’d wait for a bit as he seems to have got off to a poor start. If he does get offered a new contract I’d only have it as backup though, as he’ll be 33 when the season ends and so I think we need to get the likes of Sargent and Idah going

If (big if) he can keep fit, I'd say Byram definitely. He looks classy.

Dowell is an odd one. As someone said on here, you get the impression he's been poor but then you see the highlights and he's involved in so many of the goals and chances. 

Sinani has a lot to prove, but he seems to have a good footballing brain for someone in his position.

Pukki partly depends on whether Sargent regresses to the mean or whether the caterpillar really has turned into a butterfly.

Not keen on any of the others except maybe Cantwell if he really has turned over a new leaf.

Personally, irrespective of league I would try to keep Cantwell, Dowell, McLean, and Byram (all depending on the deal).  If we are in the premiership I would add Pukki to the list.

The rest I will be surprised if we look to extend, although McGovern took me by surprise when he received an extension, and in hindsight it was a good call.

McGovern - Release.

Byram - If he plays as well as we know he can this year I'd be tempted to give a him a heavily incentivised deal.

McLean - Release. He'll probably get a 5 year deal though.

Dowell - Extend.

Cantwell - I don't think he wants to but extend.

Hernandez - Release.

Hugill - Release.

Sinani - Depends on how he does this year but probably release.

Pukki - Like Cantwell I'm not sure he'll want to extend. If we find a way to have him thrive up top with Sargent we should obviously try and renew for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Post didn’t make sense!   Poster has since changed it!    

Fair play

McGovern - likely to stay as he's 3rd choice backup and effectively a goalkeeper coach anyway and saves us having to find someone else to fulfill that space fully aware they'll rarely play.

Byram - keep, as long as he can prove some fitness between now and after the winter break.

McLean - keep. Experience of the Premier League and two promotions, definitely a big member of the squad. 

Dowell - keep, been involved in 75% of our league goals or something crazy like that. Needs to be playing and delivering regularly though 

Cantwell - keep, but only if he wants to stay

Hernandez - I'd keep for another season in case we don't get promoted, always Good option off the bench against tiring legs.

Hugill - interesting one this, a few weeks ago he was favourite to be 2nd in line behind Pukki, now he's 3rd choice with Idah for company. Depends what division we're in I guess.

Sinani - keep, currently our only right wing option.

Pukki - most likely keep, scored double figures in the top flight in an absolutely dross side, will no doubt notch double figures again this season