Sign in to follow this  
Blainsey

Fine

Seems like I have angered many of you on here. That was not the intention, just wanted to offer an insight into elite sport which as is evident not many (if any) of you have.

As to why i don''t post on here often, well, I find many of the threads pointless and I am not in the Worthy out brigade (I was to be fair dissappointed when he was appointed 5 yrs ago) so have little interest in reading this board. As you can see from when I registered on this site, I was one of the first to register, which I appreciate doesnt really mean a lot, but it does show that I have been on the site from the start and regularly used to post in the old days along with our old friend XX21 the Sutch lover. Therefore to have people criticsing me for posting threads on here I find disappointing.

As you can see from earlier threads, I believe people have the right to their opinion, but I disagree with how they are going about venting their anger/frustration.

I wanted my insight into top flight sport to be relevant and to perhaps explain to people that there are always elements behind the scenes that fans are not aware of, which must be taken into account regarding selection/tactics etc. This point has been proved as one reply mentioned the ''bleep test''. This is an out-dated irrelevant test that is no longer applicable to sports such as football/hockey. The person behind this reply is not aware of this and therefore has no knowledge of what happens on an elite level and I wanted to try to make people aware of this.

Sadly, I seem to be in a minority who back Norwich to the hilt regardless of what happens on the pitch, and will support them whoever is in charge.

Also, for those of you who dont know about hockey, top flight is played on sunday not sat therefore allowing me to see Norwich. I was also on SKY TV with my side at the recent indoor finals on SKY sports 3. How many of you have been on SKY sports as a coach/player?

Blainsey

You initially made an interesting point but possibly in slightly the wrong way as I think some people will have taken the use of the word ignorant indicating a lack of knowledge as a more general statement-these are emotive times currently

I don''t agree with your point but I do understand it. I am not a coach and I lack proper experience in that field (literally), I have like a lot of others played football and have a good understanding of the game with no proffessional grounding of any sort. I am still qualified to debate as I am a fan andwe can only comment on what we know.

I have a number of problems with NW but in relation to your points raised I would offer the following

I can agree entirely and accept that we don''t know what goes on outside what we see on the pitch. We all read the opinions of others and the rumours but these are non factual in most cases. However I don''t understand, and maybe you can help me here, if the players are consistently performing in training yet not replicating this on the pitch why is this still happening a number of games later. NW and the board have stated this some time ago yet we still seem to have the same problem great training, poor performances. Surely as a coach you would try something new, someone new, different training regime. This appears not to be the case though as the same reasoning is still being given and this was wholly apparent in October.I also struggle to believe sometimes that NW sees what we see on the pitch, whilst we don''t know what he knows maybe he should take a little more time to understand what we see and the reasons that we question his ability, it is after all a 2 way thing. I am not inferring that we should pick the team as that is ridiculous but just that a little extra knowledge or understanding could work better both ways.  

As I have stated on another post here I was at Man Utd and Newcastle cheering on my team but surely I am not fickle now because I believe that the manager is not doing what he should be with his team. I have never been a big NW fan as I think he has always had a negative approach to the game, ny opinion only of course, but I celebrtaed his success with everyone else. I also think that it is time for him to go. May not be entirely his fault but that is sometimes how it goes. 

If Worthy turns this round and we go up again I will be chanting his name as loudly as I can, that is part of the emotion of the game we all love so much. And in truth that does make me hypocritical  maybe fickle, but that is how I do what I do. But I am a true fan and have been for most of my 39 years.We just all have different views.

Great post though and get on here more often as debate rules.We may not agree but what a boring world if that ever happened. 

We all support norwich Blainsey, and we respect your opinions. But in the end how long a period of Failure will it take before you feel we need to change??  everybody has a different tolerance level.  Mine was late November.  To be honest I don''t see that Worthy has improved anything in 40 games this season... That is a long time in football. I don''t even see that worthy even knows what the problem is which is more worrying.  Many people on this board changed their stance after the palace game, seeing yet another noshow even after 2 wins on the bounce and optimism running higher than for a long time.

Errr, I strongly disagree on a few counts there, Blainsey.

I think you''ll find a huge percentage of us on here will back Norwich to the hilt, but they won''t blindly back a man who they think is steering us away from playing good football and getting good results.

You accuse people of being ignorant, for not ignoring the problems that are going on at Carrow Road. That''s just plain wrong.

And you use the "professional sportsman" card as some kind of trump - well, it doesn''t wash. The only reason football is so huge is because of the demand from everyday punters. A lot of NCFC fans have poured their hard earned cash into the club, and to see it spent on players who either A, don''t play or B, are substandard is mighty frustrating.

And finally, we all know see that we have not played good football for a long time, we are not improving players, and we are only scouting by watching "The Championship" on a Sunday morning. To hear our Big Man On Campus come out and say "everything is fine" is an awful sign that someone is not paying proper attention to events on the pitch.

It IS not good enough, and if there were signs that it would improve then I think the majority of fans would love to give Worthy the benefit of the doubt. But he is digging a hole here, and to get out of it he''s digging further.

blainsey dont think anyone would criticise you just for posting

.however the pompous undertones of your last few posts suggesting that

just because you coach hockey to a decent level means your opinion is

more valid than anyone elses who doesnt agree with you is absurd.we all

back norwich to the hilt and always will but this doesnt extend to the

staff when they are clearly only taking the club in one direction.i

dont need to know what a "bleep test" is to see that my team is serving

up rubbish week in week out i use my eyes to do this.finally didnt see

you on SKY TV but if i had it wouldve been a good job ive got a

widescreen telly as if not i doubt i could have got fitted your

whacking great big  head on the screen

Thanks for your feedback. I am not using my coaching as a trump card, just perhaps trying to offer an idea as to why things are so dire at the moment.

I am far from happy with events at Carrow Road and fully expected the team to bounce straight back. I think the team is having an ''off'' season and every club experiences this. I understand that the parting of cash is a problem and you want to see some reward for your money. I was stuck on the M11 and wasnt happy about it!

As for the comment about people training well and then not playing well, there are any number of factors that could affect this. Pre-Match preparation. What are the players doing (or not doing) on the fri eve before the game. How are they warming up before the match bith mentally and pyysically. Are our scouts good enough when reporting back to NW about the next oppoents, and as a result is NW not planning the match day team accordingly? Is there a psychological element to the players performing either at home or away? Should the team travel to games on match days or the night before? What feedback are the captain and club captain giving NW? Are the players accepting responsibility for their own performances or letting NW take the flak?

It is interesting that none of the players have moved to criticise NW. I would have expected this as it is what usually happens when players are concerned about their current manager.

All these factors can have an adverse affect on the how the team performs for 90minutes.

I can understand why you see some people as ignorant, but if you did not mean to anger people why call them "tools"?

So what if you were on Sky Sports as a coach of a hockey team?  I

was on Sky Sports News as a Norwich City supporter, and that has a

little more relevance to the situation.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Thanks for your feedback. I am not using my coaching as a trump card, just perhaps trying to offer an idea as to why things are so dire at the moment.

I am far from happy with events at Carrow Road and fully expected the team to bounce straight back. I think the team is having an ''off'' season and every club experiences this. I understand that the parting of cash is a problem and you want to see some reward for your money. I was stuck on the M11 and wasnt happy about it!

As for the comment about people training well and then not playing well, there are any number of factors that could affect this. Pre-Match preparation. What are the players doing (or not doing) on the fri eve before the game. How are they warming up before the match bith mentally and pyysically. Are our scouts good enough when reporting back to NW about the next oppoents, and as a result is NW not planning the match day team accordingly? Is there a psychological element to the players performing either at home or away? Should the team travel to games on match days or the night before? What feedback are the captain and club captain giving NW? Are the players accepting responsibility for their own performances or letting NW take the flak?

It is interesting that none of the players have moved to criticise NW. I would have expected this as it is what usually happens when players are concerned about their current manager.

All these factors can have an adverse affect on the how the team performs for 90minutes.

[/quote]

to be honest blainsey, any player whom has even vaguely confronted the manager, has seen the benefits - eddy was offered a 1 yr contract after turning down a 2 year deal, JJ was sent on loan, mcveigh was dropped.. bentley was dropped. Critisizing the manager is not something you see often - bellamy at newcastle being an obvious example, most of the current team were brought here by him so it would be even more disrespectful to do it.  It just isnt something that you do in football. Any critisism and you are out of the club....  remember Worthy and Delia are best mates....

"As for the comment about people training well and then not playing well, there are any number of factors that could affect this. Pre-Match preparation. What are the players doing (or not doing) on the fri eve before the game. How are they warming up before the match bith mentally and pyysically. Are our scouts good enough when reporting back to NW about the next oppoents, and as a result is NW not planning the match day team accordingly? Is there a psychological element to the players performing either at home or away? Should the team travel to games on match days or the night before? What feedback are the captain and club captain giving NW? Are the players accepting responsibility for their own performances or letting NW take the flak?"

This is my point, it could be any of these things so what is our esteemed manager doing about it?and what has he done in the last 16 weeks minimum to affect the situation.

The problems remain the same so it would appear that nothing as in absolutely nothing has changed. That indicates a manager who is not managing surely?

We have changed some players for those of a similar or less ability, no real improvements yet still are suffering from the same issues,again this sits at Nigel''s door.

Hi Blainsey

I have read your original post and I have no problem with what you are saying, the only question I would ask is as a top level coach do you also take into account the form of a player on the pitch when making selections ?. By way of example - Paul McVeigh, terrific little player, links play up well, chips in with a few goals, saves the managers backside during the magical 5 match winning run with his performances/goals, but not the best trainer in the world so struggles to get in the side, Dickson Etuhu/AndyHughes can`t shoot, can`t tackle can`t pass do not score goals but both are great in training and run around a lot....consquently they get in the team. I am not a top level coach but if I were I know that I would be more bothered by form and what a player does on the pitch rather how they perform in training.

[quote user="Paul Aldrich"]

Hi Blainsey

I have read your original post and I have no problem with what you are saying, the only question I would ask is as a top level coach do you also take into account the form of a player on the pitch when making selections ?. By way of example - Paul McVeigh, terrific little player, links play up well, chips in with a few goals, saves the managers backside during the magical 5 match winning run with his performances/goals, but not the best trainer in the world so struggles to get in the side, Dickson Etuhu/AndyHughes can`t shoot, can`t tackle can`t pass do not score goals but both are great in training and run around a lot....consquently they get in the team. I am not a top level coach but if I were I know that I would be more bothered by form and what a player does on the pitch rather how they perform in training.

[/quote]

when the players were quizzed on soccer am in that questions thing:

worst trainer at man united - "Gabriel Heinze" 

worst Trainer at chelsea - " Didier Drogba" and "Del Horno"

they still perform on match days......  Paul Mcveigfh struggles sometimes as the manager likes the long ball...

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Sadly, I seem to be in a minority who back Norwich to the hilt regardless of what happens on the pitch, and will support them whoever is in charge.

[/quote]

That''s just not true. The vast majority of us continue to support Norwich to the hilt and love the club - that''s why we want Worthy out and for things to improve! Why would we be protesting if we didn''t care about the club?? Don''t say because we want to cause trouble because that just doesn''t wash! I think I speak for all Worthy outers when I say we back the team 110% but not the manager!!

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Also, for those of you who dont know about hockey, top flight is played on sunday not sat therefore allowing me to see Norwich. I was also on SKY TV with my side at the recent indoor finals on SKY sports 3. How many of you have been on SKY sports as a coach/player?

[/quote] What''s that got to do with anything?? No I haven''t been on sky sports as a player or coach - does that make your views and opinions more worthwhile than mine?? I appreciate what you''re saying about having a good insight into high level sport with your hockey experience and I for one loved playing hockey at uni so I''m not about to insult the game of hockey! However I feel your posts are worded in a rather arrogant way which suggests you perceive your insights to be superior to other posters! That is going to make you rather unpopular!!

Blainsey, you say you have experience at coaching hockey at an elite level and, therefore, have a grasp of the elements that go into what it takes to manage and coach players. You say your intention, in posting your thoughts, was not to anger people but provide the benefit of your insights. Why do you think you failed to achieve that? I''d be interested in your response to that question. While I''m waiting allow me to share my perspective as to why you failed to obtain a positive response.

First of all, you were quick to point out the ignorance of others while, at the same time, pointing out the virtues of your own knowledge. Always a deadly combination. I would have expected you to have known this as someone whose responsibilities includes motivating others. If you avoided this approach and then shared some real insight no doubt there would have been many favourable responses to your posts. However, I think you failed to share any profound insight. You simply identified the elements that go on behind the scenes, which many posters on this message board were already well aware of simply through common sense.

You obviously are a staunch fan of Norwich City reinforced by the fact that you are even attending away games  ( and getting stuck on the M11 ). So, if you can see that a large number of fans are getting disenchanted with the way our club is performing, I wonder why you ( and Neil Adams for that matter ) have not gone along to Colney to form your own opinion, given your experience, as to where the disconnect is with what goes on in training vs what happens on match day. Now, that kind of professional insight is something many posters would be interested in. Possibly, there are many other questions you could address, given your particular insights. For example, what would you have done over the past couple of seasons to put someone into a wide right position for Norwich. How would you handle the temperamental players on the team who are inclined to optimise their skills in their own way as opposed to the way the manager wants it? I''m sure you can think of many other examples where you can provide the benefit of your experience to posters on here to help us all understand why things appear not be flowing as they should. 

Blainsey; can I just check something with you? You say:

"This point has been proved, as one reply mentioned the ''bleep test''. This is an out-dated, irrelevant test that is no longer applicable to sports such as football/hockey. The person behind this reply is not aware of this and therefore has no knowledge of what happens on an elite level and I wanted to try to make people aware of this."

My daughter is a player with the Club''s ''Centre of Excellence'' (the girls'' equivalent to the boys'' Academy). They have regular fitness tests as part of their training and development and - guess what - the Bleep Test is used as part of their assessment. And who conducts their fitness test? Dave Carolan, the first team''s Sports Scientist, the man who warms up the team on match day.

So, let me get this straight. The Club Sports Scientist is "using an out-dated and irrelevant test that is no longer irrelevant to football".

Are you going to tell Dave Carolan or am I? 

Blainsey,

I know nothing about football coaching or other sports although I am proficient in other areas as I am sure are other posters. Having said that I don''t feel patronised by your posts which appears to put me in a minority.

However, why try to make good points with insulting words. If you had left out the latter then you might have earned plenty of credit. I suspect the answer is that to be read in the first place you need a hook line.