Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

For those wanting Smith out

Blooms money has created a model that more clubs with wealthy backers should follow.   Clarity of purpose, strong infrastructure with modern stadium and a scouting model that invests wisely and sells strongly in both players and managers.   They are a stable club on the up with a much better chance of European football this year than villa.   

The latter remain a basket case with money to burn but no real idea on how  to use it.  Squandering money on poor managerial and player choices and lurching from one dissatisfaction to another.

Potter should wait to see what better offers come along, for they will, and ride a solid season to see where his squad can take him, Europe league is possible this season.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, percy varco said:

Yes I go, yes I can see. 
I totally agree that the style on the ball has not changed since Farke and Farke went as we were not progressing any further. 
I see zero progress under Smith. 
Smith said we could judge his team after preseason. I know some signings are injured but Smith is making no further progress from the point Farke got to, the point at which Farke got sacked. 
I think Farke would have us in the same position as Smith has us today, so zero progress. 

Smith out

You maybe go, but are clearly blind to what you are watching.  

My opinion is that Smith has made zero progress, therefore we are at the same level, therefore Farke would have us in the same position. 
This is my reasoning, we will never know if it could be true but isn’t this the beauty of a discussion platform. 

An opinion is not the same as reasoning. I can have an opinion that I don’t like marmite. You can’t debate that. If you reason that Smith has made zero progress you have to explain why. I’ve yet to see an explanation.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 21:18, Monty13 said:

Arsenal weren’t willing to pay what Villa were apparently, so there was only one door for him to walk through.

If that's the case, then that was very short-sighted of him; he should have been aiming for his next move to get him to someone like Man City or Real Madrid. 

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

An opinion is not the same as reasoning. I can have an opinion that I don’t like marmite. You can’t debate that. If you reason that Smith has made zero progress you have to explain why. I’ve yet to see an explanation.

My opinion is backed with my reasoning. 
I do not see anything different about how we play now from the last days of Farke. 
Smith has been forced into the changes he makes he is not deciding to make the changes. 
I’ve yet to see an explantion as to what the progress is other than 3 results which may have come from forced changes Smith had to make. 

I do not see anything different about how we play now from the last days of Farke. 
Smith has been forced into the changes he makes he is not deciding to make the changes. 
I’ve yet to see an explantion as to what the progress is other than 3 results which may have come from forced changes Smith had to make. 

On the ball we certainly still look to play out the back just like under Farke, I do think we've lost some of the cute play in the final third, but that wasn't evident in Farke's 10 games last season and Buendia was certainly the most vital player in that regard.

Without the ball we are much more organised under Smith than Farke, from the moment he came in he got us pressing well. I think the downfall last season came from the fact we were always fighting from behind, and needing wins meant we had to take more risks.

So far this season I would say the balance has been a little cautious for my liking, but that's a personal view I guess. Over the course of the season it'll probably accumulate plenty of points.

9 hours ago, percy varco said:

So unless Smith makes dramatic and obvious changes we are just playing like we did under Farke?

I’m no expert but we are clearly trying to play in a more pragmatic style, press more and get the ball forward more rather than try and retain possession at all costs. Maybe that’s too subtle for everyone to see, especially if they are predisposed not to like Smith, but isn’t that exactly why we brought a sporting director in, to ensure continuity when we did have to change and to avoid tearing up the tactic rule book and starting again?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If that's the case, then that was very short-sighted of him; he should have been aiming for his next move to get him to someone like Man City or Real Madrid. 

I think the case is that Arsenal didn't pay Norwich enough, not his wages. Ie. He didn't have a choice.