Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So are Bournemouth a disgrace to the Premier League?

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I get that. But we absolutely should’ve been more competitive than we were even accounting for the huge financial challenge it was for us.

We spent the first 2/3s of the Farke season having spent f-all making a good go it and winning appreciation from the neutrals. If we’d stayed like that lots of the media would’ve continued to be positive.

We then had another go, and actually spent a good chunk of money, but couldn’t muster together a vaguely competitive side. The model is a restriction, of course it is, but not to the extent we saw on the pitch. That was on us.

Case in point being Brentford, under a similar model and level of spend, how on earth did they leap frog us so easily in the space of 4 months given we’d gotten about 12 points more than them the prior season?

We can moan all we want about the chasm between the top and the bottom of the prem, and I agree there is one and it’s getting worse, but ultimately that cannot be our undoing when we did not even do enough to compete with the clubs in our sphere. That is what earned our criticism and that is why I don’t feel particular insulted by it either.

Both seasons just felt to me like, if luck could possibly go against us, Covid, injuries, decisions, it would always be against us. That first season in particular started with a real flourish, but then things turned and the fight was simply hammered out by cruel circumstances, and I do wonder whether the quicker collapse the second time around may have had a bit of PTSD to it for the players that were common to both seasons. 

I dunno, I think maybe it's better just to enjoy what we're doing now than worry about the Premier League. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Both seasons just felt to me like, if luck could possibly go against us, Covid, injuries, decisions, it would always be against us. That first season in particular started with a real flourish, but then things turned and the fight was simply hammered out by cruel circumstances, and I do wonder whether the quicker collapse the second time around may have had a bit of PTSD to it for the players that were common to both seasons. 

I dunno, I think maybe it's better just to enjoy what we're doing now than worry about the Premier League. 

Yeah quite a lot was against us in 19/20, I felt the same. But I don’t know why COVID killed us off so badly, it should’ve been an opportunity to catch the other mid table sides slacking after such a long lay off. We just looked like we’d fully consigned ourselves to relegation even though there was 10 games to play.

Last season had some misfortune, but nowhere near to the same level IMO. The mental trauma was already bad from before like you say. You can’t go through an entire season without having a few unforeseen circumstances, but even if everything could’ve gone our way in terms of injuries etc I think we’d still have been miles off it.

But yes, much more fun so far this season 👍

• Like 1

Watching on MOTD i couldn't help but feel it was like watching us last season, so so out of their depth and no answer to a Liverpool that actually I think were going through the motions but were just allowed so much time on the ball and space to rack up an outrageous scoreline.

Parker is a media darling though, young and British so don't expect talk sport etc to go in hard on them yet.

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Just take it for what it is.

The cringey ones are the fans who can't wait to agree with national media critics. 

I read this and thought “where’s big vince” recently 

• Like 1