Bert

Set piece coach

I believe we are appointing a coach for the set pieces 

when does he start because we are utter sh1t both attacking and defending them 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

I believe we are appointing a coach for the set pieces 

when does he start because we are utter sh1t both attacking and defending them 

They are slowly getting better, but far from perfect.

You can see our intentional patterns at attacking set pieces, it just hasn't happened right yet. 

Thing is, corners for example only result in a goal something like 3% of the time (stat from the PL a few years back I think) despite it being perceived as a really good opportunity. So improvements are likely to be glacially slow at best. 

I'm not sure what our stats are for goals scored from indirect set pieces in the past 5 years, but I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to outstrip that this season alone!

Can I say then that only 3 other teams have conceded less goals than us. Something is about right.

If we begin to convert those chances (xG😅) tells us about, we will be doing very well 

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

Can I say then that only 3 other teams have conceded less goals than us. Something is about right.

If we begin to convert those chances (xG😅) tells us about, we will be doing very well 

PNE have not conceded in six games, but have only scored one themselves. How boring it must be supporting them this season. Five 0-0 draws and a 1-0 win. This has to be some kind of record.

Apparantly McLean's chance from the corner that hit the bar vs Cardiff was an Alan Russell routine but other than that I've seen nothing obvious from an attacking point of view.

Considering this is the coach that devised the 'love train' with England in the last World Cup which saw 6 players queing up to attack corners, with some success , I was expecting something more visually innovative

It would be welcome to see some positive result, in the way of a goal or two, from this appointment and sooner rather than later.

Cantwell, in particular, seems to have developed quite a sophisticated language of arm-raising, but the most notable set-piece danger yesterday came from one of Sunderland's and when a Pritchard corner routine nearly caught the City defenders out.  

Sunderland's corners were consistently good yesterday. I suppose it could be argued that in the last few seasons we would have lost that just because someone threw a few decent balls into the box from set pieces and instead we kept a clean sheet.

I'm less concerned about our attacking set pieces than our defending of them and the second has definitely improved.

Has defending set pieces genuinely improved, or are we not playing against as good players this season? 

Our best defender yesterday was the ref who on more than one occasion blocked the path to the Sunderland player lurking just outside the box on their routines. 

I think if the set piece coach is in place to get done basics in but sits in wait while the actual bread and butter football style gets more established then that’s smart. Perhaps it’s taken more time to get the players to press etc than Smith thought so it’s dominating efforts and we will see the fruits of dry pieces as the season wears on? Just a thought 

14 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Don't think a big punt upfield qualifies as a set piece masterclass!!!

Was thinking of the goal from the corner but as you correctly point out we scored 2 from set pieces last night. 😀

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Worked brilliantly yesterday didn't it?

Bloody ball had snow on it when it came down.

Sara put in a few decent deliveries, they were well defended while everyone in the River End was shouting there was a west brom player unmarked at the far post and our players just gawped.

2 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Sara put in a few decent deliveries, they were well defended while everyone in the River End was shouting there was a west brom player unmarked at the far post and our players just gawped.

They were probably thinking 'I can see dead people'. 😀

To be fair we have looked better this season, but players are still only human and will make mistakes.  Byram held his hands up and said it was his fault, he got ‘legally’ blocked, so the guy had acres of space.  I did wonder at Krul’s positioning when the ball had gone so high/far but maybe that’s harsh.

Watch the WBA goal back. There are three Norwich players marking no-one on the edge of the box. While Byram has two WBA players behind him.

Why doesn't Byram say he is overloaded and call someone over to mark the spare man?

12 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Watch the WBA goal back. There are three Norwich players marking no-one on the edge of the box. While Byram has two WBA players behind him.

Why doesn't Byram say he is overloaded and call someone over to mark the spare man?

I have long felt our defence just don’t talk to each other enough. Hanley is the “strong but silent” type. Byram also not hugely vocal nor is Max. 

12 hours ago, Bert said:

As I said there is no evidence that this set piece coach is any good 

One such concession from 10 League games isn’t the worst ratio. One scored isn’t great though.

12 hours ago, Bert said:

As I said there is no evidence that this set piece coach is any good 

We've already scored 4 from set pieces this season, in 10 games. It was 3 in 38 last season, and 8 in 46 games the season before.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

We've already scored 4 from set pieces this season, in 10 games. It was 3 in 38 last season, and 8 in 46 games the season before.

Four? Which were those (surely don’t include the first Bristol goal). I thought it was 1!

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Four? Which were those (surely don’t include the first Bristol goal). I thought it was 1!

It's four according to Whoscored, I guess it counts Nunez's freekick but I don't really know what they're counting-it's just a higher amount per game than the last 2 seasons which is the point I'm making.

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

It's four according to Whoscored, I guess it counts Nunez's freekick but I don't really know what they're counting-it's just a higher amount per game than the last 2 seasons which is the point I'm making.

Fair enough - I suppose direct free kicks do count, though there’s less you can do about them as a concession.  Imo we’ve been pretty solid at defending s/p this season, which is why Saturday stood out as being particularly poor.