Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Winning ugly... A good sign?

We were fairly obviously second best today; apart from the main statistic - which is ultimately the only one which counts. I think the negatives are there to see, and fairly consistent with what we're used to, so let's look at the positives. 

1. Rashica and Sargent both in their best positions and we look a lot more effective. Sargent had some great chances today and moved well for his goal.
  2. Lots of blocks, last ditch tackles and genuine desire to not lose. That's great. Lucky to keep the clean sheet but you make your own luck.
  3. We were a few better choices (and better refereeing decisions) away from having a bunch more openings. Our offensive transitions were great in the middle third and terrible in the final third. But it's very close to clicking. 
  4. Somehow finding a way to win against the run of play can only be a good thing. We'll have plenty more games where we do dominate and winning will be easier. It's getting and maintaining the winning mentality that's crucial. 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think that game once again summed up the sheer lack of quality that will be in this league this year. It's the poorest league I can ever remember. I honestly think we're the best team in the division and I think that sums up the gap between the Championship and Premier League.

Agree with all of that. Essentially we've got a bunch of players who are a cut above most of this division. We should be able to find a way to win in a lot of different circumstances. For instance, I thought Dowell, Nunez and Sinani were poor today. Not many teams could bring on Pukki, Ramsey and Cantwell to change it up.

Another sort-of positive is that the clear weakness - a real lack of defensive solidity in midfield - comes in the context of Hayden, Sara, Sorenson and Gibbs all being essentially unavailable. Should expect to see an improvement in that area as the season progresses.

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Agree with all of that. Essentially we've got a bunch of players who are a cut above most of this division. We should be able to find a way to win in a lot of different circumstances. For instance, I thought Dowell, Nunez and Sinani were poor today. Not many teams could bring on Pukki, Ramsey and Cantwell to change it up.

Another sort-of positive is that the clear weakness - a real lack of defensive solidity in midfield - comes in the context of Hayden, Sara, Sorenson and Gibbs all being essentially unavailable. Should expect to see an improvement in that area as the season progresses.

I think Dowell was poor, except when he wasn't. He was anonymous apart from a few moments of real quality where he was central to the chances we created.

Hernandez, on the other hand, was heavily involved but created absolutely nothing. Sinani was frustrating because he got into some good positions but couldn't quite make it happen.

Nunez was well off the pace, especially out of possession. But he has really ability and vision. He'll score and create loads of goals once he gets up to pace.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Petriix said:

I think Dowell was poor, except when he wasn't. He was anonymous apart from a few moments of real quality where he was central to the chances we created.

Hernandez, on the other hand, was heavily involved but created absolutely nothing. Sinani was frustrating because he got into some good positions but couldn't quite make it happen.

Nunez was well off the pace, especially out of possession. But he has really ability and vision. He'll score and create loads of goals once he gets up to pace.

Incredibly frustrating from Hernandez...couldnt find a man with a cross all afternoon, then Ramsey does first time

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Ha, that's true of him in almost every game. You think he's had a poor game and then he dominates the highlights footage.

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Yeah, again agree entirely. That was the sort of performance you expect from a recently arrived South American, a bit taken aback by the intensity of Sunderland's pressing. 

I guess my overriding point was that we're lucky to have other options when quality Championship players like Nunez and Dowell aren't at their best. Most teams in this league don't have that luxury.

• Like 3

Of course the season is long and teams will suffer injuries and suspensions and teams like us should slowly climb to the top. Today wasn't as bad as it could have been as we have options and those options totally swung the game our way.

Is there hope Rashica can be sold and the money spent on another couple of players?

Played poorly, got the points. Just like old times 😉

Such a pity we reverse that trend every time we get promoted 🙄

There really is a massive gap between Champs & PL. 

26 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

Played poorly, got the points. Just like old times 😉

Such a pity we reverse that trend every time we get promoted 🙄

There really is a massive gap between Champs & PL. 

This shows the problem with 'winning ugly' at this level, it often means you rode your luck in the match. As soon as you reach the top level the quality increases and you don't get away with as much as you did the season before.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Tbh cantwell should start over Sinani or Hernandez. Gunn over Krul. Hopefully Byram can play LB and we can drop Kenny for someone like Sara. The sooner we have Hayden fit the better. For me Dowell just doesn't do enough off the ball. It was a painful watch today and Sunderland were by far the better team, we got lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Incredibly frustrating from Hernandez...could find a man with a cross all afternoon, then Ramsey does first time

Same every week, which is why he belongs on the bench, coming on to trouble tired legs.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I think we possibly used up our entire ‘luck quotient’ for the season there today ……

Considering we were extremely unlucky v Hull and Wigan I think we're about even now.

• Like 3

Norwich must learn how to control the game in the closing minutes of a game or could throw away a sure win like we did against Bournemouth!!! 
I mean wasn’t the Mr Smith or Mr Shakespeare on the sidelines screaming to control the game in stoppage time when we were 2-1 up in the last seconds of the game to go to the next round. FFS!!!
But any game. Just watch any team other premiership teams control the game in stoppage time when they are up in the last seconds of the game.

1 hour ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I think we possibly used up our entire ‘luck quotient’ for the season there today ……

But we could have had 3 penalties on another day. Standing back, i think it luck evened itself out in match tbf.

I'm still not convinced this squad has enough to reach the top two come the end of the season, but I'm certainly more hopefully we can make the playoffs

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

I'm not attempting to be a bell end. 

Neither am I.... but I still manage 😄

• Haha 1

From what I have seen so far I think this squad can win the league at a canter. I don’t think Norwich have got out of 1st gear yet, we certainly haven’t found our best starting 11 and once Pukki finds form and hits the goal trail then many teams are going to suffer.

Plus we have Hayden, Sara and I predict a new winger to add to the mix.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

I don’t think Norwich have got out of 1st gear yet, we certainly haven’t found our best starting 11 and once Pukki finds form

Yup, we're fourth in the league with no goals from Pukki and no appearances from Hayden. Very promising in its way.

5 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Rashica out of the squad in his best position. Bit harsh but fair😄

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Is the Rashica bit a joke? 

I'm honestly not sure, I'm not attempting to be a bell end. 

Yes, obvs that my joke... 

Apart from the usual character and commitment stuff, which has never really been in doubt under Smith despite some fans falsely claiming otherwise,  the only other positives from today are getting the points and seeing subs change the pattern of a game.

Hopefully not a step backwards but certainly those complaining that performances were irrelevant when we drew to Wigan and lost to Hull can't now be complaining about a win and clean sheet away from home. I note some of them are, though.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Apart from the usual character and commitment stuff, which has never really been in doubt under Smith despite some fans falsely claiming otherwise,  the only other positives from today are getting the points and seeing subs change the pattern of a game.

Hopefully not a step backwards but certainly those complaining that performances were irrelevant when we drew to Wigan and lost to Hull can't now be complaining about a win and clean sheet away from home. I note some of them are, though.

The biggest positive I can see of late is it feels like a much broader range of names are being picked out for mentions for good performances than seems to have been a case for a long time, including last time we were in the Championship when it felt like it was pretty much the Buendia and Pukki show.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The biggest positive I can see of late is it feels like a much broader range of names are being picked out for mentions for good performances than seems to have been a case for a long time, including last time we were in the Championship when it felt like it was pretty much the Buendia and Pukki show.

exactly. We're fourth in the league and Pukki hasn't scored yet.

• Thanks 1

Hayden and Sara not yet match fit. Todd looking more like the player we know he can be, Nunez showing flashes of brilliance but still settling in. Lots to look forward to and lots better than losing every week as per the EPL.

We do need a left back though.

2 minutes ago, duke63 said:

We do need a left back though.

Just the one, Mrs. Wembley?  😉 (you probably need to be at least 40 to get that one)