Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Sunderland (L/A) *****

You have to hand it to our players……..they are unerringly consistent at making the wrong decision in EVERY attacking position they find themselves in…..

Just now, chicken said:

The hoofing is mainly from Sunderland, we're heading it and kicking it back from what I have seen. Not a lot of time to bring it down under pressure and start playing it. That'll be their approach - stop us getting it on the deck to pass it. 

It seems like in the final third we aren't direct enough and when we have it in our third or the middle third we're too direct. It's the worst of both.

Pretty average so far. We lack snap in the tackles in midfield. Nunez too slow today, as is Dowell.

Definitely feeling like a game where it might be worth trying Pukki up top with Sargent. Losing the ball up there too easy

4 minutes ago, unique said:

You have to hand it to our players……..they are unerringly consistent at making the wrong decision in EVERY attacking position they find themselves in…..

And this is why Onel, as handy as he is to have in a squad, shouldn't be relied upon as our primary attacking outlet.

I mean, if he had some end product he'd be as a good as prime Huckerby and playing for an established Premier League side, but the complete anonymity and Dowell's lack of pace are really showing up when Onel is your only chance of a break.

Whilst not Usain Bolt himself, I'd like to see Cantwell on. Makes up for his lack of pace with speed of thought when he's ticking (which he's not far off doing, he's getting there).

I wouldn't mind seeing Pukki and Cantwell on for Dowell and Sinani here, leave it up to Smithy and Shakey which is behind Sargent. If we're going to go as direct as we have in the first half, I think the hope would be Sargent and Pukki in a little and large combo, Pukki dropping deep to help the midfield?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Had the usual poor halfn now for the better second.  Need to stop giving the ball away.  Defence has held firm not a comment to be normally applied.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Pretty average so far. We lack snap in the tackles in midfield. Nunez too slow today, as is Dowell.

pretty much exactly what I was going to type. I like Dowell a lot, but many of his weaknesses (too slow, too weak) on show today. And a real 'welcome to English football' game for Núñez so far.

Biggest bonus: still 0-0 at half time.

• Like 2

Best thing to say about that is it's level,  shambles of a performance so far. 

Smith really needs to stop insisting we try and walk the ball in all the time,  Sinani,  Nunez and Dowell (especially) all guilty of massively over playing in the final 3rd. 

We can't be that bad again in the 2nd half, can we?? 

Reasonable turn out in Old Red Lion Islington, nice to see 2nd game on is St Pauli not the Mancs. 

• Like 2

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

And this is why Onel, as handy as he is to have in a squad, shouldn't be relied upon as our primary attacking outlet.

Yeah, when Onel's your best outlet, you know you're not playing well. Hardly anything so far from that very promising combo of Sinani Dowell and Max down the right.

Very disappointed in the first half showing.S'land much better team,hard to think they have been languishing in the lower leagues for so long
Sinani is a flash in the pan.Take him off and bring on Cantwell

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Yeah, when Onel's your best outlet, you know you're not playing well. Hardly anything so far from that very promising combo of Sinani Dowell and Max down the right.

We still do desperately need a proper right winger. I thought Sinani might be the answer to that but he really lacks consistency. 

Need to go on and win this. Sign of a team likely to win promotion is if you play poorly yet still knick the result when the opportunity comes. 

We’ve been poor but there’s at least been some determination at the back to keep them out, despite all the gifts we’ve given them.

Getting to half time 0-0 given that performance is pretty good all things considered. Now take advantage.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at this game at all. Teams like Sunderland, who will want to avoid relegation and push for midfield, will have seen the Cardiff game. They will know they cannot out play us and will look to dominate us in other ways. We don't have the tallest most physical side so they have been playing long and hoping to bully us.

It's worked to an extent, we certainly haven't been able to get the ball down and play it to the degree and quality that we would like.

Without being horrible, this sort of approach of opposition teams shouldn't surprise anyone. They will try to rough us up, push us about, test us in the air and generally try to stop us playing "our" game. 

• Like 1