Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

NCFC women's team

Norwich City 1, Actonians 0 (H-T: 0-0). Attendance: 389.

Starting XI: Williams; Larkins, Flye, Johnston, Parker; Knights, Russell, Smith; Todd, Cook; Snelling.

Fantastic weather at The Nest this afternoon as Norwich City Women looked to maintain their 100% start to the season. Warm and sunny with a cooling breeze, and a bumper crowd in attendance with dozens of flags provided by the guys at Along Come Norwich to add to the atmosphere.

The first half was a cagey affair, punctuated by a few lengthy injury stoppages, although thankfully all the players involved managed to continue after treatment. The majority of the early exchanges were played in midfield, with plenty of tough but fair sliding challenges flying in, and space at a premium as both sides struggled to make incisive breakthroughs in the final third. There was plenty of positive intent, excellent technique and good movement on display, but defences were definitely in the driving seat as it became clear that the two sides were extremely well matched.

Last week's hat-trick hero Tash Snelling was being closely marshalled by the Actonians centre-backs, with buccaneering runs from Megan Todd on the right and Olivia Cook on the left looking most likely to make a breakthrough. Cook in particular was all-action, linking up well with full-back Alice Parker and causing plenty of problems without quite having enough support around her to create anything meaningful.

At the other end, Actonians started to assert their authority on the midfield battle as the half progressed, but the only real save Bryony Williams had to make was from a blistering strike from 30 yards, which she impressively held at the first attempt as it flew towards the top corner.

A couple of injury stoppages and a drinks break didn't help the flow of the game, but it burst into life just before the interval with flashpoints in both penalty areas. First, a teasing ball into the Norwich area resulted in Williams punching clear but colliding with a Norwich defender and an Actonians forward, with all three players going down in a heap. Thankfully a Norwich defender was on hand to prevent the loose ball ending up in the net with a heroic sliding clearance.

Once the colliding players were all patched up, the play immediately went down the other end, with an energetic high press from the Canaries forward three resulting in a Norwich player (possibly Tash Snelling?) diving into a full-blooded challenge with the Actonians keeper, but the ball was cleared as it spun loose in the area.

Half time: Norwich City 0, Actonians 0.

After the interval, Actonians flew out of the traps, asserting their authority on the midfield battle and spending long periods camped in the Norwich half. As they turned the screw, shots started flying in on the Canaries' goal; however, Bryony Williams's handling was impeccable, fielding three powerful shots that flew at her, including one that bounced awkwardly just in front of her.

With about 20 minutes to go, Norwich were still struggling to keep Actonians at bay, fighting tooth and nail for every loose ball and showing impressive commitment. Time and again, robust challenges stopped opposing attackers in their tracks as Norwich refused to bow in the face of the visitors' pressure. However, the game changed on a single moment of incredible quality.

Midfielder Becca Russell worked a little bit of space for herself 35 yards from goal, took a touch to set herself and ripped an unstoppable shot into the top corner, with the Actonians keeper clutching at air. The crowd of almost 400 – easily a record for a women's match at The Nest – went wild, and a renewed sense of belief surged through the Canaries team.

Despite a couple of close shaves in the area, and a couple more pieces of textbook handling from the impressive Bryony Williams, Norwich rarely looked like relinquishing the lead that they'd pinched against the run of play, and the final whistle sounded to joyous celebrations from the Norwich players and supporters.

Full time: Norwich City 1 (Russell 72'), Actonians 0.

This was the hardest of hard-fought victories, and it'll be a tough ask for the players to go again in just two days as they face Wymondham at the FDC in Bowthorpe on Tuesday night. Overall this was a brilliant advert for the women's game, and a fantastic springboard for our girls to bounce off for the rest of the season.

Player of the match is a really tough call, but for her sheer energy throughout the whole 90 minutes, I thought Olivia Cook just about got my vote.

Next Sunday the girls are at home again against London Seaward; let's see if we can tip that attendance over the 400 mark!

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

What event are they playing Wymondham in? Just a friendly?

Much appreciated post, btw. 

League match mate. Seems a bit bizarre having another league game 48 hours later when there are only 22 games in the season!

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

League match mate. Seems a bit bizarre having another league game 48 hours later when there are only 22 games in the season!

Blimey, shows how far we have to climb if we're playing Wymondham!

I coach a youth football team and took them to the Spain game at Carrow Road. I'm thinking a team trip to the Nest one Sunday might be in order.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

Appreciate the report, @Feedthewolf. Never Mind the Bigots. 

Wonder what you think about the women's team playing at Carrow Road. 

It struck me, watching the Weuros this summer, that the tournament came at exactly the right time. A few years of professionalism has massively raised the standard, so that those players are right at home in front of a full house at the Amex or Wembley, in a way they might not have been a few years ago.

It sounds like, after years of underinvestment, our women's team is nowhere near that level. Probably best at this stage they develop at the Nest with a lower level of attention? Or is that patronising? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

18 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Appreciate the report, @Feedthewolf. Never Mind the Bigots. 

Wonder what you think about the women's team playing at Carrow Road. 

It struck me, watching the Weuros this summer, that the tournament came at exactly the right time. A few years of professionalism has massively raised the standard, so that those players are right at home in front of a full house at the Amex or Wembley, in a way they might not have been a few years ago.

It sounds like, after years of underinvestment, our women's team is nowhere near that level. Probably best at this stage they develop at the Nest with a lower level of attention? Or is that patronising? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I was very impressed with the technique of the players, the level was very good considering it's the fourth tier.

My instinct says the team would be better off trying to increase its home support at The Nest for now, so the people watching are there specifically to watch the women's team, rather than them being a sideshow/bolt-on to a men's team game.

I guess it depends on what Flo, Shaun and the players themselves think about the idea – I wouldn't be surprised if it had already been discussed in a hypothetical sense. One option might be to have one or two games a year on a Friday night or something, like they do with the U23s. That'd probably make more sense than doing a 'double header' with the men's team.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Thanks 1