It’s amazing how things can change in 3 matches. Prior to Sargent’s recent goal fest I wonder what people’s views were on his valuation. Fast forward 3 matches and it seems like he might be the next big hit and he’s only 22.

I always thought there’s a player in there somewhere it was a case as to whether he would get the opportunity to display his talents fully. 

I guess players thrive on confidence, he’s looked a different player to the slightly clumsy one we’d mostly seen.  It’s a pity he got injured when he did last season as we’d just seen signs of his potential. 

To be fair now we've seen it the other way around, it's very obvious we were playing a centre forward on the wing. I never ever imagined I'd see a Josh Sargent finish like his second against Millwall, sharp and uncompromising.

He's not 'made it' yet but he's shown undeniable evidence of being a capable striker now. The real tricky part for me is how long he gets not scoring before Pukki inevitably reclaims the slot?

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

To be fair now we've seen it the other way around, it's very obvious we were playing a centre forward on the wing. I never ever imagined I'd see a Josh Sargent finish like his second against Millwall, sharp and uncompromising.

He's not 'made it' yet but he's shown undeniable evidence of being a capable striker now. The real tricky part for me is how long he gets not scoring before Pukki inevitably reclaims the slot?

I'd quite like us to go bold some home games, stick Pukki up there with him, 4-4-2, like we managed successfully a couple of times with Idah and Pukki last year. If those two click and create a partnership it could destroy teams.

• Like 1

We have to remember that it's hard to hit the ground running in a struggling team, playing against some of the best defenders in the world. He's been playing out of position on the right, in a new league, in a new country. 

It's also important to understand that it's rare for a young striker to get 10 goals in a season. It takes a bit of experience to get things right, like positioning, body position, balance, timing runs and generally getting a sense of what to do when you have a split second to strike the ball. You can see it with Sargent - taking an extra touch instead of shooting etc.

In two seasons, after 60 more appearances, he'll be 24 and entering his prime.

Whilst he wasn't great last season, Webber did say that most of our signings would develop over the years - which can be seen as a positive and a negative, depending on whether you're looking at the short or long term picture.

• Like 2

I’ve been around long enough to know that a couple of good games doesn’t mean you’ve made it. Anyone remember David Nielsen who was banging them in on loan then couldn’t hit a barn door once signed? 

I mean he's still clumsy but has a better eye for goal. It's up to him to keep Pukki out of the team and up to Teemu to get back in it. That's the beauty of competition for places. It's a shame we don't have it across more positions, at the moment, but that could change when all players are back from injury and up to speed.

Confidence goes a long way in sport, but so does being played in your natural position...

7 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I've often said play Pukki as a number 10. Got a great footballing brain and can pick a pass. Worth a try I feel. But thats just me.

I know that's originally how we intended to play him (with Rhodes as the CF), but Pukki's main strength is making runs off the shoulder, latching onto through balls. I doubt he'd be in position to do that as a 10.

Two up top could certainly be an option. Especially with Idah coming back to full fitness.

I am so happy for Sargent but am still not totally  convinced. The last 2 games have been good, to be honest the last game was fantastic and he is walking on air at the moment. I will need to be convinced over a longer period before I change my mind. Yes he is young but nothing he has shown in his time here and in Germany has shown him to be a natural goal scorer apart from the last game possibly. Let's wait and see but I really do hope the Sargent has changed his spot's. 

On 24/08/2022 at 18:18, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’ve been around long enough to know that a couple of good games doesn’t mean you’ve made it. Anyone remember David Nielsen who was banging them in on loan then couldn’t hit a barn door once signed? 

I remember watching him at Carrow road when he was on loan from Wimbledon. I thought he was premier League quality and I was desperate for us to sign him. He was poor after we did.

He went on to get done for being involved in some match fixing ring. 

18 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

I know that's originally how we intended to play him (with Rhodes as the CF), but Pukki's main strength is making runs off the shoulder, latching onto through balls. I doubt he'd be in position to do that as a 10.

Two up top could certainly be an option. Especially with Idah coming back to full fitness.

Depends on the version of #10 for me. In a 'shadow striker' role he could attack the spaces created by an Idah or Sargent occupying their central defence. This actually looked pretty effective v Bournemouth where he would bend his run wide whilst Idah would charge through the centre.

Nice to have options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canaries north said:

I am so happy for Sargent but am still not totally  convinced. The last 2 games have been good, to be honest the last game was fantastic and he is walking on air at the moment. I will need to be convinced over a longer period before I change my mind. Yes he is young but nothing he has shown in his time here and in Germany has shown him to be a natural goal scorer apart from the last game possibly. Let's wait and see but I really do hope the Sargent has changed his spot's. 

I don’t suppose Sargent gives a f**k whether you are convinced or not. 🙂

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Not only that, but he doesn't have to be perfect, just pretty decent, he has a lot of the required attributes,he is without doubt an ariel threat,touch and confidence are linked,those aspects will have taken a boost lately. wouldn't be surprised to see him Step on from here. 

Really don't want to be wrong 

10 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

I'm not saying he does give a f about what I think. As I don't with anyone else. All I'm saying is he has played well in 2 games and very well in 1 of them and some people are jumping the gun. He has not gone from being a very average player to world class over night as some people think. The truth is somewhere in between and at what end of that spectrum we will find out, but the majority of the evidence so far points to closer to the first even though I do hope it's closer to the later. 

On 24/08/2022 at 18:18, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Didn't he score something like 7 in 7 on Loan? Also memorable for being loaned from Wimbledon and bizarrely was able to play against them and they tried to kick the proberbial out of him.

42 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Didn't he score something like 7 in 7 on Loan? Also memorable for being loaned from Wimbledon and bizarrely was able to play against them and they tried to kick the proberbial out of him.

That’s the one 

Josh Sargent = Dean Smith style striker

Teemu Pukki = Daniel Farke style striker

No right or wrong here, just different styles. Farke is more possession based and balls into feet/clever runs. Smith still wants the ball but is more pragmatic with his style and more direct, which requires a more physical type of striker who can score goals with his head, ala Sargent. 

The way Sargent took the 2nd goal was superb, firm strike into the side-netting after physically outmuscling two strong players. He is also extremely adept at heading, wins more than his fair share of 50/50's in the air and has already demonstrated his scoring ability with his head this year as well as his great headed goal against Watford last season. 

Naturally Sargent doesn't have the off-the-ball movement of Pukki (Pukki's main and superb strength) but he can still make that yard run and get his shot off as he did for his first goal against Millwall. 

Two different managers, two different strikers. 

Edited by Bovril