Sign in to follow this  

Felt the need to highlight that he cost us 3.5 million pounds.

On the evidence so far, that's an outstanding piece of business and, after all of the flak that Webber's taken over the past 12 months, he deserves a big chunk of credit for a) taking the initiative to scout South America so quickly, and b) unearthing Nunez. 

3.5 million is nothing in today's market and it's entertaining to think that he was bought using the money from the PLM sale. Fingers crossed SW can continue to quietly raid those markets for cheap talent.

• Like 7

Yup top signing it seems. I would say the first decent signing in two seasons by Webber, but happy to give him credit when he deserves it. I'm not so sure about Sara but I hope im wrong. 8m seems to be a very unlucky number for us when buying players. 

Excellent signing if maybe a season too late, he would not of looked out of place had we got him last season. If anything he’s the heart and soul replacement for Emi although not like for like they both obviously have that drive to win. 

3 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Yup top signing it seems. I would say the first decent signing in two seasons by Webber, but happy to give him credit when he deserves it. I'm not so sure about Sara but I hope im wrong. 8m seems to be a very unlucky number for us when buying players. 

Early days, but Gibbs seems to be shaping up pretty well. 

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Excellent signing if maybe a season too late, he would not of looked out of place had we got him last season. If anything he’s the heart and soul replacement for Emi although not like for like they both obviously have that drive to win. 

True - unlike Buendia,  Nunez can take a decent free kick. 

Great signing. Particularly the way he's hit the ground running. So many players take a while to get up to speed so it's great he's been on it from the start!

• Like 1

What I find interesting is that he was seemingly the back up plan, after the move for Kone from Montreal didn't happen. We were willing to spend more on Kone, despite the fact he's only played around 20 professional games. Maybe the club had question marks over Nunez adapting or something.

52 minutes ago, repman said:

What I find interesting is that he was seemingly the back up plan, after the move for Kone from Montreal didn't happen. We were willing to spend more on Kone, despite the fact he's only played around 20 professional games. Maybe the club had question marks over Nunez adapting or something.

This is something the Chilean Norwich fan said, that his main concern was why isn't someone bigger than Norwich going for him. Whatever the concerns were I would think they are now buried.

2 hours ago, priceyrice said:

So if Gibbs, Sargent, Dowell and Sinani keep doing the business will you revise that opinion? Even the rise of Omo, Rowe, Tomkinson etc are largely down to the focus on youth development and training facilities that Webber implemented. 

Edited by Mr.Carrow
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

This is something the Chilean Norwich fan said, that his main concern was why isn't someone bigger than Norwich going for him. Whatever the concerns were I would think they are now buried.

I think that is partly down to the question of whether they will adapt or not, there aren't really any South American players who go from the first team there straight to a top European side. There's been a few exceptions over recent years but even then they've been lads who are in the first team at 16/17 years old.

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

If someone bigger goes for a player, we won't get them. Our recruitment team have the additional challenge of spotting talent that nobody else has, and then hoping nobody takes an interest simply because we have. 

5 hours ago, priceyrice said:

Over the course of his time here think Webber and his team have got more right than wrong and considering every transfer is a gamble that’s a very good record.

Even the wrong the damage has been limited. Even the two failed PL windows a lot of the duds were loans so no saddling with long term commitments.

Not to mention the stars either brought in and/or developed and sold on his watch for high profit.

Last window was a bust in terms of making us competitive for the PL but given where we find ourselves now both Gunn and Sargent were good signings. Tzolis is still an asset, so is Rashica although possibly a depreciating one.

This window I’ve been really impressed how focussed his team have been, I was slightly worried he didn’t have the focus. Nunez looks a great bit of business.

Sara on paper does look actually like the biggest risk signing of his tenure though, a lot of money for us especially in the Championship. I like what we’ve seen so far though and he was a good save away from opening his account on his last cameo.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Over the course of his time here think Webber and his team have got more right than wrong and considering every transfer is a gamble that’s a very good record.

Even the wrong the damage has been limited. Even the two failed PL windows a lot of the duds were loans so no saddling with long term commitments.

Not to mention the stars either brought in and/or developed and sold on his watch for high profit.

Last window was a bust in terms of making us competitive for the PL but given where we find ourselves now both Gunn and Sargent were good signings. Tzolis is still an asset, so is Rashica although possibly a depreciating one.

This window I’ve been really impressed how focussed his team have been, I was slightly worried he didn’t have the focus. Nunez looks a great bit of business.

Sara on paper does look actually like the biggest risk signing of his tenure though, a lot of money for us especially in the Championship. I like what we’ve seen so far though and he was a good save away from opening his account on his last cameo.

Not sure I agree with the point that he has got more right than wrong in the transfer window, but I do understand the budget restraints we have to work in make it really tough and be also tries to reduce the risk by buying young players with potential sell on value, rather than players such as Naismeth. There have also been a few very good signings in amongst them: Pukki, Buendia, Andy O, potentially Gibbs and some cheap and free signings who have helped win promotion. However, I don't think the Premier league strategy has been correct with the money being spread too thin. I don't think any of last seasons signings look like decent buys based on their costs and performance last year, however, they are still young so room to develop, but, even so, if they do develop over the next year or two, it still doesn't detract from the fact the strategy was totally wrong last summer, and the summer before the prior prem season.

We need to remember we have spunked a lot of money on loan fees (Fahrmann, Norman, Kabak etc.) Which has essentially all been money down the drain and we have also been left paying the majority of players wages who we have been unable to shift nor were they getting into the first team squad, Drmic being the worst of them. However, I do think the bottom falling out of the lower league finances with covid has exasperated that problem like you wouldn't see in prior years. 

Still I'm sounding negative and I admit I'm not a big Webber fan, but I do think Hayden and Nunez could be very shrewd buys this summer. I just hope we plug the CB issue next summer as it seems we may finally have plugged the CM void and hopefully the DM void, which has been an issue for a while. 

7 hours ago, priceyrice said:

Not sure I agree with the point that he has got more right than wrong in the transfer window, but I do understand the budget restraints we have to work in make it really tough and be also tries to reduce the risk by buying young players with potential sell on value, rather than players such as Naismeth. There have also been a few very good signings in amongst them: Pukki, Buendia, Andy O, potentially Gibbs and some cheap and free signings who have helped win promotion. However, I don't think the Premier league strategy has been correct with the money being spread too thin. I don't think any of last seasons signings look like decent buys based on their costs and performance last year, however, they are still young so room to develop, but, even so, if they do develop over the next year or two, it still doesn't detract from the fact the strategy was totally wrong last summer, and the summer before the prior prem season.

We need to remember we have spunked a lot of money on loan fees (Fahrmann, Norman, Kabak etc.) Which has essentially all been money down the drain and we have also been left paying the majority of players wages who we have been unable to shift nor were they getting into the first team squad, Drmic being the worst of them. However, I do think the bottom falling out of the lower league finances with covid has exasperated that problem like you wouldn't see in prior years. 

Still I'm sounding negative and I admit I'm not a big Webber fan, but I do think Hayden and Nunez could be very shrewd buys this summer. I just hope we plug the CB issue next summer as it seems we may finally have plugged the CM void and hopefully the DM void, which has been an issue for a while. 

See what you're forgetting when you judge Webbers overall transfer record is what they were bought in to do. Fahrmann debatedly pushed Krul into having a good season, for example.

But more importantly, beyond Pukki, Buendia and Krul you've also got the likes of Vrancic, Trybull, Stiepermann, Leitner, Gianoullis, Gibson, Hernandez, Rhodes and probably a couple others who all delivered at the level they were initially bought for, many with minimal outlay.

• Like 2

Nunez has really set the bar for our new players. I really didn't expect him to be this good so quickly. I now want to see more of and more from Sara.

Let's hope we get promoted as, on his current trajectory, I can't see Nunez playing in the Championship next season.

Edited by Capt. Pants

12 hours ago, Monty13 said:

While I generally agree with your post this is a very 'glass half full' reading of three of those 4.

Rashica and Gunn can't get off the bench and Tzolis is out on loan with his future very much unknown. You're correct that window won't kill us financially but I'd be shocked if we got close to our money back for Rashica and Gunn has yet to prove he's better than the keeper we already have. 

19 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Felt the need to highlight that he cost us 3.5 million pounds.

On the evidence so far, that's an outstanding piece of business and, after all of the flak that Webber's taken over the past 12 months, he deserves a big chunk of credit for a) taking the initiative to scout South America so quickly, and b) unearthing Nunez. 

3.5 million is nothing in today's market and it's entertaining to think that he was bought using the money from the PLM sale. Fingers crossed SW can continue to quietly raid those markets for cheap talent.

Its a good signing, but I do think the majority of our signings especially at Premier League level have been pure dross. Hopefully Nunez and Sara are both great successes. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nunez has really set the bar for our new players. I really didn't expect him to be this good so quickly. I now want to see more of and more from Sara.

Let's hope we get promoted as, on his current trajectory, I can't see Nunez playing in the Championship next season.

Enjoy him while you can and he's only gonna get better too , and he won't be in championship next season (barring injury)

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

See what you're forgetting when you judge Webbers overall transfer record is what they were bought in to do. Fahrmann debatedly pushed Krul into having a good season, for example.

But more importantly, beyond Pukki, Buendia and Krul you've also got the likes of Vrancic, Trybull, Stiepermann, Leitner, Gianoullis, Gibson, Hernandez, Rhodes and probably a couple others who all delivered at the level they were initially bought for, many with minimal outlay.

I think Webbers transfer history sits in the same place as Farke's managerial one- Championship very good, Premier League very bad. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

It's worth noting that it's the same team that unearthed him that tracked and lead to us signing Buendia, too. 

Potentially another city star on our hands, I think at the very least if he doesn't hit near the same level as Buendia, he's still going to be a great player and character for us.  It's evident already.

In fact, to give Webber some massive credit here, we've a really good selection of what i'd deem to be 'happy' players who drip positivity.  i.e. Sarge, Hugill, Sara, Nunez & Onel.  

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

While I generally agree with your post this is a very 'glass half full' reading of three of those 4.

Rashica and Gunn can't get off the bench and Tzolis is out on loan with his future very much unknown. You're correct that window won't kill us financially but I'd be shocked if we got close to our money back for Rashica and Gunn has yet to prove he's better than the keeper we already have. 

Treating this year fresh, last year was a massive **** up in my opinion in terms of trying to stay in the PL but at least the money likely isn’t completely lost which is the one small positive.

Just on the bench point, you look at the bench against Millwall and 90% of clubs in the Champ would likely want all 7 in their first team.

I’m not willing to write off Rashica yet anymore than I was Smith after 3 games. Sargent is obviously proving his worth and Gunn is in my mind the best number 2 in the Champ. 

The squad is strong for the Championship, that’s a positive to me. It was woefully equipped for the PL but that’s a separate issue.

Edited by Monty13

Tzolis is going out to get games he wouldn't get here, his future is at the club but he needs to be playing regularly to develop as he's behind where we'd want him to be with Sinani/Rashica/Cantwell/Hernandez plenty of Championship quality cover to allow him to go.

Gunn is a very decent no2 and an excellent shot stopper, and has age on his side too. In truth we're spoilt by how good Krul is at this level - he's still a top, top keeper although we know he does make the occasional mistake.

I'm still massively disappointed by Rashica, he's still yet to show any of his quality apart from odd moments. He needs to consistently start delivering goals or assists because as a winger that's what he should be judged on and so far he's provided none - it's no surprise nobody has come in for him. I'm sure at this point of his career he'll be very determined to show what he's all about, and it's down to Smith to extract that from him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Treating this year fresh, last year was a massive **** up in my opinion in terms of trying to stay in the PL but at least the money likely isn’t completely lost which is the one small positive.

Just on the bench point, you look at the bench against Millwall and 90% of clubs in the Champ would likely want all 7 in their first team.

I’m not willing to write off Rashica yet anymore than I was Smith after 3 games. Sargent is obviously proving his worth and Gunn is in my mind the best number 2 in the Champ. 

The squad is strong for the Championship, that’s a positive to me. It was woefully equipped for the PL but that’s a separate issue.

Each to their own I guess. But £15m spent on a backup Championship keeper and a winger considered to be less good than Onel Hernandez won't ever be good business for me, regardless of if they'd walk into other teams first XI's. 

I do agree the squad is strong for the Championship but of the 4 you mentioned one isn't even here and with regards to the other two, would it feel much weaker without them? Not for me. 

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

Each to their own I guess. But £15m spent on a backup Championship keeper and a winger considered to be less good than Onel Hernandez won't ever be good business for me, regardless of if they'd walk into other teams first XI's. 

I do agree the squad is strong for the Championship but of the 4 you mentioned one isn't even here and with regards to the other two, would it feel much weaker without them? Not for me. 

Just for clarity I said Gunn and Sargent were good signings in my opinion.

I don’t think Rashica was or will turn out to be unfortunately so with you there, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt he may offer something while he’s here though.

I think with Gunn in particular I can see your point, but if you want to build a squad capable of competing in the PL a strong backup keeper is needed. Wasn’t a priority last year though.

Just to reiterate my view of last years business is it was poor, but at least long term the money doesn’t look completely wasted, it’s not an endorsement of it.

20 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Just for clarity I said Gunn and Sargent were good signings in my opinion.

I don’t think Rashica was or will turn out to be unfortunately so with you there, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt he may offer something while he’s here though.

I think with Gunn in particular I can see your point, but if you want to build a squad capable of competing in the PL a strong backup keeper is needed. Wasn’t a priority last year though.

Just to reiterate my view of last years business is it was poor, but at least long term the money doesn’t look completely wasted, it’s not an endorsement of it.

To be honest it probably hinges on Gunn a bit. I'm still not convinced he'll seamlessly step up and take over from Krul- my view is if we do go back up we'll be looking for another keeper as Krul will leave and Gunn won't be considered good enough. But if he does step up and is our first choice keeper for years then yeah we'll probably look back on it as £5m well spent. 

• Like 1