Michael Starr

Everton make Pukki enquiry

Everton have supposedly made an enquiry over the availability of Pukki, which would make sense for them as they're creating tonnes of chances but just not putting them away. They're also skint, unless they sell Gordon of course, which they might, and if they do, I guess they'll go higher profile on the striker search. Worth keeping an eye on that one.

Edited by Michael Starr

A truly appalling thought just a week ago. Not particularly appealing now, but he is out of context next summer. 

I wonder whether an offer in the region of £7-10m might tempt Webber, given Sargent's performances this week?

If, and this is completely hypothetical as I can't see it happening, would we go with Sargent, Idah and Hugill as the three striking options until January and see how they get on? Or would we look to shift either Idah or Hugill, on loan in the former's case, and sign a quality replacement?

I'm one of those who remain convinced that if we say goodbye to Teemu Pukki, whatever the offer, before this window closes, then we can kiss goodbye to promotion.

There seems to be this constant undercurrent on this forum that the player is somehow past it. A popular pastime amongst some eager detractors. Those whose microscopic views feed their need to be critical. Nothing could be further from the truth and even if, and big if, he has lost a bit of his sharpness then it is, imo, only temporary. Any perceived loss of pace will be compensated for in other ways. Besides, if Premier League Everton are indeed interested, then any deterioration in the player's performances cannot have been seen as significant.

Goals apart (and he could easily have had a couple by now with better luck on his side,) I think that he has performed well so far this season and virtually up to par. Any significant loss in any way could well be catered for by this enforced rest. For such a workhorse, even the recent workload has been excessive, carrying both club and international commitments with little break and for a prolonged period. 

So the Sarge has become a striker overnight, and let's hope he keeps it up.** He is, though, as prone to injury as any other player. Idah is prone to injury, full stop. Hugill is not up to it.  

Overnight, we could well have one of the most suspect strike forces in the entire division with limited time to redress.

Lose Teemu Pukki right now. No way!

** He'll need to if we lose Teemu.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 21

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm one of those who remains convinced that if we say goodbye to Teemu Pukki, whatever the offer, before this window closes, then we can kiss goodbye to promotion.

There seems to be this constant undercurrent on this forum that the player is somehow past it. A popular pastime amongst some eager detractors. Those whose microscopic views feed their need to be critical. Nothing could be further from the truth and even if, and big if, he has lost a bit of his sharpness then it is, imo, only temporary. Any perceived loss of pace will be compensated for in other ways. Besides, if Premier League Everton are indeed interested, then any deterioration in the player's performances cannot have been seen as significant.

Goals apart (and he could easily have had a couple by now with better luck on his side,) I think that he has performed well so far this season and virtually up to par. Any significant loss in any way could well be catered for by this enforced rest. For such a workhorse, even the recent workload has been excessive, carrying both club and international commitments with little break and for a prolonged period. 

So the Sarge has become a striker overnight, and let's hope he keeps it up. He is, though, is as prone to injury as any other player. Idah is prone to injury, full stop. Hugill is not up to it.  

Overnight, we could well have one of the most suspect strike forces in the entire division.

Lose Teemu Pukki right now. No way!

We've been too reliant on Pukki for too long and I'm glad we now have an alternative for centre forward, but the emergence of Sargeant now means we have scope to rotate strikers and/or vary approach slightly depending on the opposition, so I agree that, for the sake of 7 or 8 million quid, risking a major blow to promotion prospects would be a mistake. 

Can’t see Pukki wanting to go to Everton to face another relegation fight

• Like 1

Just a big fat no right now,  unless the bid was ridiculous and I mean £30 million ridiculous. 

I know we all think Josh Sargent is the second coming of big Iwan,  but it was Huddersfield and Millwall for pitys sake,  let's see him consistently do it first before we consign Pukki to the bin. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

Please no. 100% our best player, and one I personally couldn’t bare to see play for another English club. 

Despite Sargent’s form over the last two games, Pukki will still outscore him 3 to 1 over the course of this season, IMO.

Pukki goes through dry spells.. and then spells were he scores for fun. The latter is is close IMO.. coming back fresh into a team with rising confidence could be the perfect tonic. Another non-stop Pukki Party is coming….

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 2

Webber's no mug. It would have to be serious money before his head was turned to even consider. We can't even consider going with just Sarge, Idah & Hugill, when Idah's injured at present and on comeback trail

If Pukki went, they'd look at a replacement, but I suspect it would have to be £10m+ to even consider

Don’t think we should sell at all.

However if a 10 million or more bid comes in I can see us wavering. Lot of money and wages saved for an out of contract next year 32 year old.

We need to solve the Pukki replacement problem at some point, but I’d rather it was, hopefully, on promotion next year if he won’t sign a new contract personally.

• Like 1

We shouldn’t sell but if there is cash on the table the club will sell as that’s what we do so that Delia and Michael can keep the club. 

If he's out of contract at the end of this season and less likely to sign, cashing in is not that silly. He's a Hall-of-Famer regardless.

Asking Nunez if he's got any mates he knows might be one heck of a good idea. His transfer fee is looking cheap.

• Like 2

One thing I would say is IF we did sell (and I hope we don’t) a decent permanent replacement would need to be in the building within 24 hours. Not some loan that we can’t make permanent.

He is one of our most important players. But at 32, on 50k and with a short contract there is a price… £7-10m isn’t enough for me. Not with the £100’s of million on offer for promotion.

To lose a guaranteed 15+ goals I think we should be asking for £15m

but to replace him in the UK market would be near impossible in our budget, do the scouts have someone further afield in mind?

I am not sure it's the right move for Teemu. He's a humble man who knows that money isn't everything. But Merseyside and a big club who burn their way through good players? Would it suit his personality? A tough call if anything comes of it. 

Sargent has 2 good games this season under his belt, and whilst I am extremely happy he is finding this form, he alone cannot be relied on to get us the goals we need. 

Pukki has had a slow start to the season, based on just this there is no way we should even for one second consider selling. 

• Like 2

We have to keep him unless it's silly money, I still think there's goals in him , jury's out on sarge and would anybody be surprised if he is still in single figures come the end of the season? 

Really would not like to see Pukki depart. I believe he still has a good job he can to do for us this season. 

Just now, Canary dwarf said:

We have to keep him unless it's silly money, I still think there's goals in him , jury's out on sarge and would anybody be surprised if he is still in single figures come the end of the season? 

The jury really should not be out. Three goals in two games as soon as he gets a go as centre forward at Championship level is no accident. 

• Like 1

A big fat no from me. He's the best player in the squad. I can't see Everton or anyone else offering the sort of money we would accept, similar to the whisperings back in June. This rumour doesn't ring true for me. Hopefully the last two wins are helping to shake off the negative vibes from last season and we're in for another Pukki Party this year! 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Can’t we sell them Hugill?

But he's the answer!

I’d much rather keep Pukki. However, as with any player, IF Pukki himself wanted it, and IF the price is right, and IF we adequately replaced him (and that’s the nigh on impossible/unlikely bit), then we’d have to thank the man and move onwards.

That said, please stay Teemu.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Can’t we sell them Hugill?

He seems a better fit for the Toffees as well.