KeiranShikari

Should the parents of 'can i have your shirt' banner kids...

Important question.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Football shirt begging, yes or no.

• Yes
    • Absolutely, ban the kid too
    • No,stop being miserable and let them have fun

In six months' time we will all be holding up banners saying "Teemu, could you pay my gas bill, please?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Banning anybody for this is a bit harsh, but it shouldn't be encouraged (by the players?)

A 'spoil' too far. "I get because I want" and a bit similar, in my book, to youngsters being bought sweets at the supermarket checkout just because they're on show, and it is therefore an entitlement. 

You earn, not beg.

These are not disadvantaged kids, after all, they likely wouldn't be there in the first place if they were.

Bah! Humbug!!

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Cringeworthy if parents allow that kind of behaviour. Better that shirts go to charitable causes than hand outs just because a kid writes a sign.  Little better than begging.

Or the club sells them online. I assume funds from that go to CSF or another charitable cause. 

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

In six months' time we will all be holding up banners saying "Teemu, could you pay my gas bill, please?"

Had to read that out loud to the wife.

Bravo sir.

Agree with the fundamental perspective that it's entitlement, but if players didn't give them, they wouldn't write them, so I'd say there's some blame to be attached to the players here.

24 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Had to read that out loud to the wife.

Bravo sir.

You're too kind. Sadly, the joke's on us.

Signed shirts and other player merch should be offered on line for charity, don't know why all clubs offer this.  Football fans will snap up offered items or maybe online auctions.  Clubs could authenticate genuine.  On Ebay you could simply state shirt was genuine how to know? caveat emptor we are in a scam environment and items on sale need to be treated with suspicion.  I would not dream of buying goods on Ebay, facebook or any online shyster chancer keep dosh in pocket. 

I won a signed football,  supposedly the MilkCup winning team,  couldn’t make out any of them, could have been the ball boys for all I knew.

10 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Or the club sells them online. I assume funds from that go to CSF or another charitable cause. 

I think the online auction sales go towards funding the academy.

• Thanks 1

It was cute the first time the original kid did it. But now it’s everywhere and it’s always on a piece of ****ty cardboard - where’s the flair? At least the protesters had a big bed sheet and used different coloured pens… 

• Haha 1

I saw one on our segment on the EFL highlights that just said "can I have your shirt......." with no name.  

Obvs anyone's would do, looked very desperate. 

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I won a signed football,  supposedly the MilkCup winning team,  couldn’t make out any of them, could have been the ball boys for all I knew.

Someone gave me an old shirt (the first Bruce Oldfield designed one) it had two signatures on it and I've not met anyone who can tell who they are supposed to be. 😀

I assume the players can keep the shirt if it's a memorable game or they want to give it to a friend or relative but if the shirts aren't reused they should be auctioned off with proceeds to the CSF or academy or some other worthy cause.

Mrs Peanuts once paid a rather large sum of money for a worn shirt that she keeps in a box only taking it out occasionally to sniff or gently caress the midsection.

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

I saw one on our segment on the EFL highlights that just said "can I have your shirt......." with no name.  

Obvs anyone's would do, looked very desperate. 

Its like if a kid (and I mean under 13) rocks up in a Pukki replica with Finnish flag face painted on his face and asks for the main man's shirt then I think its effort made for a favorite player.

But just basically saying "ANY SHIRT" is a begging. 

Again this is something fans have taken from the media and from the USA. I dont really have an issue but it doesnt feel very British.
(The British thing to do is que for 6 hrs for a signature thank the player profusely and refuse his shirt and shorts when offered) 

Don't the parent weaponize their children anyway?

"You get the shirt and give it to me, I'll get you a box of Haribo for everyone you get".

Why this "can I have your shirt?" crap needs to stop - WeAreBrighton.com ::  News & Opinion

13 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

It was cute the first time the original kid did it. But now it’s everywhere and it’s always on a piece of ****ty cardboard - where’s the flair? At least the protesters had a big bed sheet and used different coloured pens… 

This.

Obviously banning anyone is a massive overreaction, unless someone does it repeatedly.