Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Watford

At the start of the season I thought Watfords front three would make them favourites for a top two spot. However with Emanuel Dennis now signed for Forest, Jao Pedro close to signing for Newcastle and Sarr linked to Palace there chance have reduced massively. Good news for us and the rest of the Championship. Be interesting to see who they bring once Sarr and Pedro go. 

13 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

At the start of the season I thought Watfords front three would make them favourites for a top two spot. However with Emanuel Dennis now signed for Forest, Jao Pedro close to signing for Newcastle and Sarr linked to Palace there chance have reduced massively. Good news for us and the rest of the Championship. Be interesting to see who they bring once Sarr and Pedro go. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see them be the ones that take a shot with Clarke-Harris at Pboro. He can score goals at this level given chances and if they get back up it won't matter about resale, him being 28.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Even more on point is that they are fast running out of time to bring those replacements in. Even if they are quality they could take time to settle, especially without a pre-season with their new club.

This season is going to be quite interesting that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Sky sports are now saying that Villa have agreed a fee of £25 million for Sarr 

Lets hope that sending Buendia on loan to them isn't part of the deal... 

Their xG suggested they were lucky with their opening results and whilst some mocked that concept on here, the results afterwards proved it.

54 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Their xG suggested they were lucky with their opening results and whilst some mocked that concept on here, the results afterwards proved it.

No...its because none of their front line that started the season played today

..and yes...this bollo*ks concept will continue to be mocked

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No...its because none of their front line that started the season played today

..and yes...this bollo*ks concept will continue to be mocked

By people with a lack of understanding, I'm sure it will be.

Equally,  their front line not playing can be used in support of xG. If you understood it properly.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Equally,  their front line not playing can be used in support of xG. If you understood it properly.. 

You quoted 'their opening results'...which bear little correlation when none of their front 3 which played in them played today

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

21 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You quoted 'their opening results'...which bear little correlation when none if their front 3 which played in them played today

Sigh.

• Haha 1

Not sure where Preston fall in these stats, having been Watford’s opponents today: in 5 games they’ve had four 0-0’s and a 1-0 win, so just one goal in any of their league games this season in 450+ minutes of play, certainly not what you’d call entertaining!

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

It's not a lack of understanding,  it's just that it's genuinely just a pointless stat for stats sake enjoyed by nerds. You don't need to be told that those with a higher xG score more goals and finish higher up the league, its bloody obvious. It's like telling someone my xM is higher than yours because I've put more petrol in my car than you in yours. 

It's really the 'no **** Sherlock' of stats. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not sure where Preston fall in these stats, having been Watford’s opponents today: in 5 games they’ve had four 0-0’s and a 1-0 win, so just one goal in any of their league games this season in 450+ minutes of play, certainly not what you’d call entertaining!

Supposedly though they’ve had pretty much the most shots in the division 

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's not a lack of understanding,  it's just that it's genuinely just a pointless stat for stats sake enjoyed by nerds. You don't need to be told that those with a higher xG score more goals and finish higher up the league, its bloody obvious. It's like telling someone my xM is higher than yours because I've put more petrol in my car than you in yours. 

If its not a lack of understanding then why are you not understanding the point of it?

Put simply, posters on here were salivating over Watford and Blackburn and how much better than us they were. Looking at the table, anyone would have agreed.

Using xG it was clear the results weren't in line so they were unlikely to remain in that position.

Again, if you knew the money that was made by xG (ask Brentfords owner how pointless it is..) etc you'd know its far from pointless.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

If its not a lack of understanding then why are you not understanding the point of it?

Put simply, posters on here were salivating over Watford and Blackburn and how much better than us they were. Looking at the table, anyone would have agreed.

Using xG it was clear the results weren't in line so they were unlikely to remain in that position.

Again, if you knew the money that was made by xG (ask Brentfords owner how pointless it is..) etc you'd know its far from pointless.

I understand the point of it. I'm saying the point of it is pointless why are you not understanding that? 

Football survived over 100 years without the need for silly geeky input that contributes nothing apart from stating the ****ing obvious. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

Sigh.

You know what they say Hoggy - "If you think it's hard winning an argument with an intelligent person, try winning an argument with a stupid person". 🙂 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You know what they say Hoggy - "If you think it's hard winning an argument with an intelligent person, try winning an argument with a stupid person". 🙂 

Do I get bonus points for trying though? 😀

10 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

xG definitely is not pointless when you've lost your first few games and some are throwing their toys out of the pram, completely ignoring the high xGs, which indicate we can take those disappointing first results with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Watford's 'decline'..nothing to do with them starting the season with a forward line of Dennis, Sarr and Joao Pedro...to yesterday not having any of them playing at all then??

Which caribbean Island are you posting from as a matter of interest ?. ..as youve obviously made millions through gambling using 'XG' ?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Do I get bonus points for trying though? 😀

You can’t have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.🤭

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Watford's 'decline'..nothing to do with them starting the season with a forward line of Dennis, Sarr and Joao Pedro...to yesterday not having any of them playing at all then??

Which caribbean Island are you posting from as a matter of interest ?. ..as youve obviously made millions through gambling using 'XG' ?

I'm not a big gambler but again, you're missing the point, to which I give up and say, you do you fella.

57 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

xG definitely is not pointless when you've lost your first few games and some are throwing their toys out of the pram, completely ignoring the high xGs, which indicate we can take those disappointing first results with a pinch of salt. 

Yep and even though xG has so far backed up exactly what some of us have been saying I.e our season isn't doomed and Blackburn aren't title contenders - now it's been proven those opposing it are saying "duh. It's obvious" even though they were saying the opposite before.

• Like 2